Old square bottle Floquil paints.

Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...>

I have quite a few of the older square bottle Floquil paints that are still both useful and relatively easy to use. I am running out of Diosol solvent and looking for a substitute peer-grade air brush solvent. In California we cannot purchase automobile grade high quality lacquer thinner that would probably serve, having to make do with hardware store clean up grades (or a trip to Reno). Do listers have recommendations for a good substitute?

Also, I have an unopened Floquil bottle (label gone) the contents of which seems to be that akin in color and thickness of a dark rum. I suspect this is Retarder, but do not know. Any ideas?

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento CA

Roger Huber <trainpainter@...>

Danny,

I have used Scalecoat thinner for years with no issues. The unknown bottle might be gloss as I believe the FQ retarder was clear.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Saturday, April 13, 2019, 11:51:40 PM CDT, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:

I have quite a few of the older square bottle Floquil paints that are still both useful and relatively easy to use.  I am running out of Diosol solvent and looking for a substitute  peer-grade air brush solvent.  In California we cannot purchase automobile grade high quality lacquer thinner that would probably serve, having to make do with hardware store clean up grades (or a trip to Reno).  Do listers have recommendations for a good substitute?

Also, I have an unopened Floquil bottle (label gone) the contents of which seems to be that akin in color and thickness of a dark rum.  I suspect this is Retarder, but do not know.  Any ideas?

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento CA

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Denny,

It has been quite some time since I've used it, but I suspect your unlabeled bottle of "dark rum" might be Floquil "glaze." In addition to imparting some luster, as opposed to gloss, to Floquil's otherwise flat finish, I recall it was recommended for making seriously thinned Floquil less "watery." Wish I could remember exactly how Floquil put it.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2019 12:51 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Old square bottle Floquil paints.

I have quite a few of the older square bottle Floquil paints that are still both useful and relatively easy to use. I am running out of Diosol solvent and looking for a substitute peer-grade air brush solvent. In California we cannot purchase automobile grade high quality lacquer thinner that would probably serve, having to make do with hardware store clean up grades (or a trip to Reno). Do listers have recommendations for a good substitute?

Also, I have an unopened Floquil bottle (label gone) the contents of which seems to be that akin in color and thickness of a dark rum. I suspect this is Retarder, but do not know. Any ideas?

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento CA

Al Gest

As I remember “retarder” was clear and smelled like xylene; however, “glaze” was brown or rum colored.

Al

On Apr 14, 2019, at 6:51 AM, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@gmail.com> wrote:

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento CA

Jeff Coleman

I have been using  Xylene for 25 years with Floquil paints. The  clear Amber could be glase or high gloss. 

Jeff Coleman

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 3:17 AM Al Gest <alfredgest@...> wrote:
As I remember “retarder” was clear and smelled like xylene; however,  “glaze” was brown or rum colored.

Al
> On Apr 14, 2019, at 6:51 AM, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:
>
> I have quite a few of the older square bottle Floquil paints that are still both useful and relatively easy to use.  I am running out of Diosol solvent and looking for a substitute  peer-grade air brush solvent.  In California we cannot purchase automobile grade high quality lacquer thinner that would probably serve, having to make do with hardware store clean up grades (or a trip to Reno).  Do listers have recommendations for a good substitute?
>
> Also, I have an unopened Floquil bottle (label gone) the contents of which seems to be that akin in color and thickness of a dark rum.  I suspect this is Retarder, but do not know.  Any ideas?
>
> Denny S. Anspach MD
> Sacramento CA
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Nelson Moyer

Testors offered Floquil Thinner and Brush Cleaner, (F110001) as a Diosol replacement. I bought two one pint cans back then, and it seems to work fine. Diosol is a mix of xylene and toluene and probably other chemicals, but I don’t know the percentages.

Nelson Moyer

Jack Burgess

Denny….

I have been using the same thing as Nelson is using since Floquil was discontinued and it works just like Diosol…

Jack Burgess

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2019 6:37 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Old square bottle Floquil paints.

Testors offered Floquil Thinner and Brush Cleaner, (F110001) as a Diosol replacement. I bought two one pint cans back then, and it seems to work fine. Diosol is a mix of xylene and toluene and probably other chemicals, but I don’t know the percentages.

Nelson Moyer

Tim O'Connor

I agree with Ralph - Glaze is an "amber clear" color - I suppose it could darken although I have
not seen that happen. Maybe it's contaminated?

On 4/14/2019 1:43 AM, Ralph W. Brown wrote:
Hi Denny,

It has been quite some time since I've used it, but I suspect your unlabeled bottle of "dark rum" might be Floquil "glaze."  In addition to imparting some luster, as opposed to gloss, to Floquil's otherwise flat finish, I recall it was recommended for making seriously thinned Floquil less "watery."  Wish I could remember exactly how Floquil put it.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...>

Well, Ralph Brown has it….Glaze (I found someone, i.e. me..?... had written with a Sharpie on the glass itself a barely discernible ‘GLAZE”.  I never really used it extensively, but as I recall, Floquil described it as “Floquil paint base minus pigments”  If I also recall correctly, when added, it did impart a slight satin or egg shell character to the finish, and it was supposed to rejuvenate diminished Floquil paints in ways that just solvents alone were not able to do..

Other old “clear” square bottle Floquil products were Crystal Cote (like gin) -an alternate to Gloss Coat-;  Barrier (like ginger ale), which application was required on styrene before Floquil could be applied, and Retarder- now reportedly clear…)  a very useful additive in humid/un air-conditioned climates. 

I am taking note of Nelson Moyer’s  and Jack Burgess’s experience with Floquil thinner (I have yet to determine whether it is still available under some new name).  Jeff Coleman’ s experience with Xylene alone is attractive for its simplicity.  These thinners ware useful for all Floquils, i.e. old and new….right?

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA 95864

Jerry Michels

Glaze was amber
Hi-Gloss and Crystal (Krystal?)-Coat were both clear as water.  I never saw a big difference between the two.

Any of you guys remember the red booklet Floquil had regarding their paints?  I remember reading it in the 1970s, and it just being a fun read with the about pigment particle size, how to paint, top coats, etc.  Ah, good memories.

I have used straight lacquer thinner for over 30 years for thinning and cleaning and have never had a problem.  Even Floquil thinned with lacquer thinner and stored lasts quite nicely.

Jerry Michels

Lester Breuer

Denny in message 146746  on this list Randy Danniel states, “I copied the Diosol formula posted in one of the yahoo groups several years ago by a chemist who lab analyzed and posted the formula. This is as posted verbatim.
"38% by vol toluene, 41% by vol xylene and 21% by vol Solvesso 100 (a long evaporation rate aromatic hydrocarbon solvent). Getting the toluene and xylene is not difficult, but the Solvesso 100 is only available through chemical suppliers."

I use a mix of 50% xylene and 50% toluene since DIosol went off the market as I read somewhere that was the Diosol mix. I have both available in the paint department of local hardware store or home improvement store. I as others also have Scalecoat thinner purchased at the local hobby shop on hand which Nelson said is also a mix of these products.

Both my mix or the Scalecoat thinner have worked very well with the Floquil solvent paints I have remaining on hand including one or two square bottles.

Lester Breuer

Tony Thompson

Denny Anspach wrote:

Other old “clear” square bottle Floquil products were Crystal Cote (like gin) -an alternate to Gloss Coat-;  Barrier (like ginger ale) . . .

Gin and ginger ale? Not sure where the consumables thread is going . . .

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Jerry Michels wrote:

Glaze was amber

Uh, maybe yours was (or is), but mine is a faint yellow color, nearly clear. Still works fine and must be over 30 years old.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Jerry Michels

Uh, maybe yours was (or is), but mine is a faint yellow color, nearly clear. Still works fine and must be over 30 years old.

Tony,

The choice of words might not have been accurate.  I'd agree that light yellow was the original color, but I have some old Glaze that looks like a good Canadian Whisky.

Jerry Michels

Many years ago I questioned a Floquil representative about why colors purchased years apart looked so different.  He told me they didn’t have standards  (drift cards), but simply compared the new batch to the previous batch.  I started my career matching cosmetic colors for a pigment manufacturer.  I can tell you it’s a really bad idea. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:12 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Old square bottle Floquil paints.

Tony,

The choice of words might not have been accurate.  I'd agree that light yellow was the original color, but I have some old Glaze that looks like a good Canadian Whisky.

Jerry Michels

Lester Breuer

I misquoted Nelson  when I said Nelson said Scale coat was a mix of xylene and toluene.  He said that about Diosol rather than Scalecoat.  My error.  Forgive.
Lester Breuer