Old square bottle Floquil paints.

Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...>

I have quite a few of the older square bottle Floquil paints that are still both useful and relatively easy to use. I am running out of Diosol solvent and looking for a substitute peer-grade air brush solvent. In California we cannot purchase automobile grade high quality lacquer thinner that would probably serve, having to make do with hardware store clean up grades (or a trip to Reno). Do listers have recommendations for a good substitute?

Also, I have an unopened Floquil bottle (label gone) the contents of which seems to be that akin in color and thickness of a dark rum. I suspect this is Retarder, but do not know. Any ideas?

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento CA

Roger Huber <trainpainter@...>

Danny,

I have used Scalecoat thinner for years with no issues. The unknown bottle might be gloss as I believe the FQ retarder was clear.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Saturday, April 13, 2019, 11:51:40 PM CDT, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:

I have quite a few of the older square bottle Floquil paints that are still both useful and relatively easy to use.  I am running out of Diosol solvent and looking for a substitute  peer-grade air brush solvent.  In California we cannot purchase automobile grade high quality lacquer thinner that would probably serve, having to make do with hardware store clean up grades (or a trip to Reno).  Do listers have recommendations for a good substitute?

Also, I have an unopened Floquil bottle (label gone) the contents of which seems to be that akin in color and thickness of a dark rum.  I suspect this is Retarder, but do not know.  Any ideas?

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento CA

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Denny,

It has been quite some time since I've used it, but I suspect your unlabeled bottle of "dark rum" might be Floquil "glaze." In addition to imparting some luster, as opposed to gloss, to Floquil's otherwise flat finish, I recall it was recommended for making seriously thinned Floquil less "watery." Wish I could remember exactly how Floquil put it.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

I have quite a few of the older square bottle Floquil paints that are still both useful and relatively easy to use. I am running out of Diosol solvent and looking for a substitute peer-grade air brush solvent. In California we cannot purchase automobile grade high quality lacquer thinner that would probably serve, having to make do with hardware store clean up grades (or a trip to Reno). Do listers have recommendations for a good substitute?

Also, I have an unopened Floquil bottle (label gone) the contents of which seems to be that akin in color and thickness of a dark rum. I suspect this is Retarder, but do not know. Any ideas?

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento CA

Al Gest

As I remember “retarder” was clear and smelled like xylene; however, “glaze” was brown or rum colored.

Al

On Apr 14, 2019, at 6:51 AM, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@gmail.com> wrote:

I have quite a few of the older square bottle Floquil paints that are still both useful and relatively easy to use. I am running out of Diosol solvent and looking for a substitute peer-grade air brush solvent. In California we cannot purchase automobile grade high quality lacquer thinner that would probably serve, having to make do with hardware store clean up grades (or a trip to Reno). Do listers have recommendations for a good substitute?

Also, I have an unopened Floquil bottle (label gone) the contents of which seems to be that akin in color and thickness of a dark rum. I suspect this is Retarder, but do not know. Any ideas?

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento CA

Jeff Coleman

I have been using  Xylene for 25 years with Floquil paints. The  clear Amber could be glase or high gloss.

Jeff Coleman

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 3:17 AM Al Gest <alfredgest@...> wrote:
As I remember “retarder” was clear and smelled like xylene; however,  “glaze” was brown or rum colored.

Al
> On Apr 14, 2019, at 6:51 AM, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:
>
> I have quite a few of the older square bottle Floquil paints that are still both useful and relatively easy to use.  I am running out of Diosol solvent and looking for a substitute  peer-grade air brush solvent.  In California we cannot purchase automobile grade high quality lacquer thinner that would probably serve, having to make do with hardware store clean up grades (or a trip to Reno).  Do listers have recommendations for a good substitute?
>
> Also, I have an unopened Floquil bottle (label gone) the contents of which seems to be that akin in color and thickness of a dark rum.  I suspect this is Retarder, but do not know.  Any ideas?
>
> Denny S. Anspach MD
> Sacramento CA

Nelson Moyer

Testors offered Floquil Thinner and Brush Cleaner, (F110001) as a Diosol replacement. I bought two one pint cans back then, and it seems to work fine. Diosol is a mix of xylene and toluene and probably other chemicals, but I don’t know the percentages.

Nelson Moyer

Jack Burgess

Denny….

I have been using the same thing as Nelson is using since Floquil was discontinued and it works just like Diosol…

Jack Burgess