Topics

Old square bottle Floquil paints. - Original Diosol Floquil Thinner formula

qmp211

Denny,

Here's the Diosol formula posted on another site by a chemist who did the analysis

"...38% by vol toluene , 41% by vol xylene  and  21% by  vol  Solvesso  100  ( a long evaporation rate aromatic hydrocarbon solvent ).   Getting  the  toluene  and  xylene  is not difficult , but  the  Solvesso 100 is only available  through  chemical suppliers"

 Solvesso 100 solvent is a grade of Naptha.

I found by mixing my own Diosol buy the finest grade solvents you can. A good Sherwin-Williams store has everything. I would avoid the chain stores.

This formula will rejuvenate old bottles of Floquil paint, some better than others. Filter the results if you have doubts. And it should rejuvenate your bottle of Glaze unless it has turned to jelly.

Exercise caution and mix components in a well ventilated space.

Randy Danniel

Jeff Coleman

After my last can of Diosol ran out I had access to Toluene and Xylene at work. Our paint shop supervisor gave me a pint of roughly 50-50 mix. When that was gone I switched to 100% Xylene as we no longer used Toluene.
This works well with old (square bottles) and both older Floquil and newer Testors formula.
Both Glaze and High Gloss were clear amber and I've had both darken and set-up in bottle, something not the norm for the regular paints.

Jeff Coleman