Topics

Chicagoland FGEX Reefer

Bob Chapman

In recent years, the folks at the Chicagoland RPM have presented a kit or minikit to registrants, allowing them to model a freight car not commercially available. The 2018 minikit was a truss-rod FGEX reefer, comprised of an Accurail carbody, a custom sheet of cast resin details, and custom decals.

Attached is my result -- built as a "layout model" (no museum-quality modeling here!) For the most part, I followed the Chicagoland instructions, with one exception. I have never had luck in scraping off cast-on ladders and grabs from a double-sheathed carbody. No matter how careful, I can't seem to avoid at least one gouge, and almost always end up with ghosts of the ladder rungs and grabs showing in the siding grooves. For this model, I replaced the siding on the ends and under the side ladders and grabs with #2040 Evergreen siding. I shimmed the replacement siding on the sides with .040"-thick styrene strip spacers. The replacement siding on the ends was slightly thinned, then laminated atop the original end siding.

A big thanks to Mike Skibbe, Frank Houdina, Tom Madden, and Ted Culotta, who made the kit possible.

Regards,

Bob Chapman

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Nice work!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bob Chapman <chapbob611@...>
Date: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 7:12 PM
To: STMFC <main@realSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Chicagoland FGEX Reefer

[...]

Andy Carlson

Hi Bob-
That kind of clever problem solving is why I like the STM FC. What a great solution!
-andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019, 5:12:32 PM PDT, Bob Chapman <chapbob611@...> wrote:

[...]

Nelson Moyer

That’s a nice looking car, and your solution to the molded details is ingenious.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

skibbs4

That’s clever with the scribed styrene instead of carving! Nice work, Bob.

Mike Skibbe

On Apr 17, 2019, at 7:12 PM, Bob Chapman <chapbob611@...> wrote:

[...]

<FGEX 1+.jpg>
<FGEX End 1.JPG>

Tony Thompson

Your model looks excellent, Bob, no reason to apologize.
Tony Thompson

On Apr 17, 2019, at 5:12 PM, Bob Chapman <chapbob611@...> wrote:

[...]

O Fenton Wells

Well done Bob, nice innovative solution to the issue and the finished product looks great.
Fenton

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 9:10 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
[...]

250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

gtws00

Nicely done! Nice solution to the problem of carving off details.
Thanks for sharing
George Toman

Lester Breuer

Bob a fine model.  Thank you for sharing your method to replace molded on details without carving.  Clever!
Lester Breuer

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 05:53 PM, skibbs4 wrote:
That’s clever with the scribed styrene instead of carving! Nice work, Bob.

That is a clever idea, and the evergreen stock should match well, as I more or less copied the Evergreen grove dimensions when I designed that tool. I might point out that Evergreen "car siding" would be closer for the board width, but it matters little for those narrow panels.

It also occurs to me that harvesting portions of an extra side would be a dead on match for the siding AND include the siding retainer strip along the bottom edge. We do sell extra sides, #420 (yellow) or #421 (white) $2.99 pair, halfway down the parts page on the left: Accurail Parts The Evergreen siding is still likely easier for the ends.

Dennis Storzek
Accurail, Inc.

Michael Gross

Very nicely done, and very innovative!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

James E Kubanick

Great looking car, Bob. I have one to build and will try your clever technique on the scribing issue. Thanks for sharing with us.

Jim Kubanick