Topics

Throwback Thursday: Athearn Rolling Stock Ad, Model Railroader, December 1962

Benjamin Hom

Athearn rolling stock ad from the December 1962 issue of Model Railroader.

Ben Hom

Richard Townsend

A question I have asked before, but never gotten a suitable answer: is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

Tony Thompson

Richard Townsend wrote:

A question I have asked before, but never gotten a suitable answer: is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?
Certainly not on the Athearn body. There was a similar though not identical scheme on a pre-1934 billboard car. I suspect Athearn winged it on that one, possibly using current Carnation advertising.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history