Topics

is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Thursday: Athearn Rolling Stock Ad, Model Railroader, December 1962

Richard Townsend wrote:

> A question I have asked before, but never gotten a suitable answer: is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

  Certainly not on the Athearn body. There was a similar though not identical scheme on a pre-1934 billboard car. I suspect Athearn winged it on that one, possibly using current Carnation advertising.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony Thompson

On Apr 18, 2019, at 1:36 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:

Hi Richard, Tony, and List Members,

I assume we are trying to compare the Athearn body and paint scheme shown at the link below...

with the Carnation wood reefers shown in the rediculously long link below...

Is that right?

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund wrote:

Hi Richard, Tony, and List Members,

I assume we are trying to compare the Athearn body and paint scheme shown at the link below...

     Nothing at this link, Claus. But I am familiar with the white Athearn reefer scheme.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

That ginormous URL doesn’t open anything.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

> A question I have asked before, but never gotten a suitable answer: is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

  Certainly not on the Athearn body. There was a similar though not identical scheme on a pre-1934 billboard car. I suspect Athearn winged it on that one, possibly using current Carnation advertising.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Douglas Harding

I have not been able to open the links Clause has shared. But here is a photo containing some Carnation Milk reefers. It is of the Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Co plant of Oregon ILL., with a string of dark colored reefers lettered Carnation. They don’t match the Athearn scheme, but are Carnation reefers.

http://www.burlingtonroute.com/BRHS/library/photo_collections/viewer.php?library=Historical&folder=Network-Industries&image=1

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Richard Townsend

I’ve seen the URTX and FGE cars. They’re yellow with a single milk can. The Athearn car is white with two milk cans.

I’ve also seen a photo of a Carnation reefer that looks nothing like any of the above. It’s in the Carnation corporate history from last century some time (I don’t have access to my copy at this time to describe it).

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 09:53 PM, Douglas Harding wrote:
with a string of dark colored reefers lettered Carnation.
When I see period photos of reefers where the black lettering disappears into the car side (note there appears to be two lines of lettering under the name) I immediately think orthochromatic film, and assume the sides are really yellow. Orthochromatic film characteristically renders yellows as very dark gray. If the sides were actually painted this dark, the lettering would have been a light color for contrast. I think the cars are really standard 'reefer' yellow with FCR ends (note the end lettering is white).

Dennis Storzek

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Thanks everyone for letting me know I'm having a bad link day... sigh.

Perhaps we can try this without links - I will attach the images instead.

Attached are images of...

* the Athearn model

* Carnation prototype wood reefers - note the prototype image was taken at the same location as the photo linked by Doug Harding, but it is a different photo than Doug's showing the plant from a different vantage point.

* the drawing from Burlington Bulletin 28 page 26

Claus Schlund

Bob Chaparro

The link didn't work because it was doubled.
This works: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FE0AAOSwldlcrRWz/s-l1600.jpg
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

I don't think they are dark. The photo is dark. The cars probably are orange or orange-yellow.

On 4/19/2019 12:53 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

I have not been able to open the links Clause has shared. But here is a photo containing some Carnation Milk reefers. It is of the Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Co plant of Oregon ILL., with a string of dark colored reefers lettered Carnation. They don’t match the Athearn scheme, but are Carnation reefers.

http://www.burlingtonroute.com/BRHS/library/photo_collections/viewer.php?library=Historical&folder=Network-Industries&image=1

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Sterling, Massachusetts

Douglas Harding

Actually Claus, your photo showing Carnation cars is taken at a different plant in a different state. Your photo is labeled as Berlin Wisconsin, the photo I linked is Oregon Illinois. Pacific Coast Condensed Milk had numerous plants around the country. It was actually started in the state of Washington in 1899 by EA Stuart. The name was changed to Carnation at a later time, but I suspect the lettering painted on buildings stayed for some time.

Here are a couple of links with information about the company.

https://www.milkproductsinc.com/aboutMilkProducts/companyHistory

https://carnationfarms.org/our-story/

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Thanks everyone for letting me know I'm having a bad link day... sigh.

Perhaps we can try this without links - I will attach the images instead.

Attached are images of...

* the Athearn model

* Carnation prototype wood reefers - note the prototype image was taken at the same location as the photo linked by Doug Harding, but it is a different photo than Doug's showing the plant from a different vantage point.

* the drawing from Burlington Bulletin 28 page 26

Claus Schlund

Richard Townsend

I mis-spoke (wrote) earlier when I said the Athearn reefer had two milk cans. Obviously there is only one. I am away from home and was working from memory. I have two of the Athearn cars and I do recall, accurately I believe, that there are subtle variations in the lettering on the cans. I think one version says “irradiated” and the other doesn’t.

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Doug,

Good point, I had not noticed that.

Claus Schlund