Topics

is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2019 4:36 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

Hi Richard, Tony, and List Members,

I assume we are trying to compare the Athearn body and paint scheme shown at the link below...

with the Carnation wood reefers shown in the rediculously long link below...

Is that right?

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Thursday: Athearn Rolling Stock Ad, Model Railroader, December 1962

Richard Townsend wrote:

> A question I have asked before, but never gotten a suitable answer: is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

Certainly not on the Athearn body. There was a similar though not identical scheme on a pre-1934 billboard car. I suspect Athearn winged it on that one, possibly using current Carnation advertising.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

I've yet to see a photo of any prototype "Carnation" billboard paint scheme. If they existed it would
have been most likely before the 1930's.

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Rupert Gamlen

See Burlington Bulletin 28 page 26

Carnation had six BREX cars, repainted in 1932, CMX 4201-4206 and 40 former FGE 36000 series cars (1933) CMX 6400-6439. They had a large red, white, green and black Carnation tin to the left of the doors. There were also Union Refrigerator Transit cars including URTX 23214 with a similar design.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NMZ

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Friday, 19 April 2019 12:00 p.m.
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

I've yet to see a photo of any prototype "Carnation" billboard paint scheme. If they existed it would
have been most likely before the 1930's.