Topics

a nice view of SP 74740 40ft stock car blt 1924

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

There is a nice view of SP 74740 40ft stock car blt 1924 at the link below...

Details regarding the image can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Paul Doggett

Claus

A wonderful photo could have done with it when building my Westerfield stock car.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 21 Apr 2019, at 15:43, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

There is a nice view of SP 74740 40ft stock car blt 1924 at the link below...

Details regarding the image can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Gene Green <genegreen1942@...>

The same photo of SP 74740 appeared on page 85 of the August 16, 1924 issue of Railway Review in  a full page ad for The Ralston Steel Car Company, Columbus, Ohio.  That suggests, to me at least, that Ralston was the builder.
Gene Green

Tony Thompson

As you could verify in my Volume 1 of SP Freight Cars. SP 74740 was the first car of the order.
Tony Thompson

On Apr 21, 2019, at 10:31 AM, Gene Green via Groups.Io <genegreen1942@...> wrote:

The same photo of SP 74740 appeared on page 85 of the August 16, 1924 issue of Railway Review in  a full page ad for The Ralston Steel Car Company, Columbus, Ohio.  That suggests, to me at least, that Ralston was the builder.
Gene Green

Tim O'Connor

Here is the un-redacted builder photo ;-)

(Courtesy of Jim Kinkaid's builder photos collection)

On 4/21/2019 10:43 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:
Hi List Members,

There is a nice view of SP 74740 40ft stock car blt 1924 at the link below...

Details regarding the image can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund
_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ralph W. Brown

Ah, glass plate.  Great images, but fragile.

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Here is the un-redacted builder photo ;-)

(Courtesy of Jim Kinkaid's builder photos collection)

On 4/21/2019 10:43 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:
Hi List Members,

There is a nice view of SP 74740 40ft stock car blt 1924 at the link below...

Details regarding the image can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Donald B. Valentine

Not necessarily a glass plate negative though it could be. As Jerry Best taught me years ago this is what is known as having the film emulsion "reticulate". I've seen it happen on celluloid negatives as well and have a few from the late Phillip H. Bonnet that have done this. It can be reversed, again as Jerry Best explained to me, but the cost is almost always prohibitive.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Don,

My experience with things like this is with glass negs.  I had no idea there was a similar phenomenon with celluloid negs.  One can still learn things every day.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Not necessarily a glass plate negative though it could be. As Jerry Best taught me years ago this is what is known as having the film emulsion "reticulate". I've seen it happen on celluloid negatives as well and have a few from the late Phillip H. Bonnet that have done this. It can be reversed, again as Jerry Best explained to me, but the cost is almost always prohibitive.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Donald B. Valentine

Hi Ralph,

    The day we don't learn something new is a wasted day.

My best, Don Valentine