Topics

D&RGW 65' mill gondola

jerryglow2

In the absence of the Oddballs set, I trying to do artwork for one but am missing some of the lettering on the right side. Any help?  For a better pic see  D&RGW 65ft mill gon

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Jerry,

See RMC May 2001 for an article on these cars. These cars are also covered in Jim Eager's RIO GRANDE COLOR GUIDE TO FREIGHT AND PASSENGER EQUIPMENT.

I you don't have access to these works, please contact me off-group at mallardlodge1000_AT_gmail.com and I will put my best lens on the photos if you can tell me which lettering block to look at.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/25/19 10:47 AM, jerryglow2 wrote:
In the absence of the Oddballs set, I trying to do artwork for one but am missing some of the lettering on the right side. Any help?  For a better pic see  D&RGW 65ft mill gon

Tim O'Connor

I think Jerry wants the "as built" lettering. There's no shortage of photos of
the cars in the post 1960 era but once repainting began all bets are off. No two
cars seem to be precisely alike.

On 4/25/2019 2:16 PM, Garth Groff wrote:
Jerry,

See RMC May 2001 for an article on these cars. These cars are also covered in Jim Eager's RIO GRANDE COLOR GUIDE TO FREIGHT AND PASSENGER EQUIPMENT.

I you don't have access to these works, please contact me off-group at mallardlodge1000_AT_gmail.com and I will put my best lens on the photos if you can tell me which lettering block to look at.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/25/19 10:47 AM, jerryglow2 wrote:
In the absence of the Oddballs set, I trying to do artwork for one but am missing some of the lettering on the right side. Any help?  For a better pic see  D&RGW 65ft mill gon

_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts

jerryglow2

Tim is correct: I wanted as built lettering The Oddballs set seems to be a mix of old and new but thanks to help my set is complete. See my completed artwork
Anyone want one? Good for the ECW kit or Athearn model or other scales. Please reply offline to:
jerryglow at comcast dot net

jerryglow2

Actually there is some symbol or logo in the 2nd panel from the right; I just downsized some lettering for what appears below it - it's not going to be legible at a scale half inch lettering.

Tim O'Connor

Just FYI some interesting background on another group of D&RGW mill gondolas

Jim Eager wrote the following -

D&RGW 30050-30099 (1st) were built by PSC 3-44 for the Defense Plant Corp, assigned/leased to the D&RGW to handle output from the Geneva Works steel mill built north of Provo by BSC for the DPC. After the War there was a disagreement between the Gov and the railroad over the L-97 UP-design 4-6-6-4s assigned to the Grande during the War. The Grande didn't like them and wasn't going to buy them. The Gov said you don't take the locos, you don't get to keep the gons either, so they went off to the ARR in '47, along with D&RGW 50000-50449,  41 ft gons built by MtVC 10-43. The locos went to the Clinchfield, also in '47.

To replace the 65-ft mill gons the Grande ordered D&RGW 30050-30099 (2nd) from PSC, blt 10-11-48, which were almost identical to the first set, both being AAR-pattern drop-end cars like the Athearn model. The Grande didn't bother replacing the 41 ft cars, instead ordering 52 ft cars D&RGW 55000-55449, built PS 1948-49.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

jerryglow2

Ed Hawkins provided me excellent info on the missing info I referred to. It's operating instructions for the retauner vakve and obviously only goes on the left B-end. It will br included on my set.