Topics

Cornel University collection

Dave Nelson

1655 photographs from the US Presidents railroad commission, all in 1960 (I’m assume 1960 inclusive is out cutoff date). All subjects, incl. freight cars.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/?f%5Bcollection_tesim%5D%5B%5D=U.S.+President%27s+Railroad+Commission+Photographs

Enjoy.

Dave Nelson

mopacfirst

I looked at Denver, and realized I have photos taken from some of the exact same spots.  Many of the Denver shots were taken from the bridges over the Union Station and yards areas.

The really sobering thought is that the photos I shot in early 70s are now closer in time to when these photos were taken than to the present day, and while there would be some slight differences between what I saw and what these photographers saw, the difference between then and now is so incredibly greater.

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor

Dave

I just assumed everyone knew about this photo collection - many of them are stunning, wonderful, and rare.

They were (mostly?) taken by railroad workers - union members - to document their craft and working conditions.
At the time railroads were trying very hard to downsize crews and eliminate yard jobs.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/29/2019 3:56 PM, Dave Nelson wrote:

1655 photographs from the US Presidents railroad commission, all in 1960 (I’m assume 1960 inclusive is out cutoff date). All subjects, incl. freight cars.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/?f%5Bcollection_tesim%5D%5B%5D=U.S.+President%27s+Railroad+Commission+Photographs

Enjoy.

Dave Nelson

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve SANDIFER

Interesting piece of trackwork.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20864642

J. Stephen Sandifer

1655 photographs from the US Presidents railroad commission, all in 1960 (I’m assume 1960 inclusive is out cutoff date). All subjects, incl. freight cars.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/?f%5Bcollection_tesim%5D%5B%5D=U.S.+President%27s+Railroad+Commission+Photographs

Enjoy.

Dave Nelson

Eric Hansmann

This avoids setting the points in the street crossing. I’ll have to remember this for a future application.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

1655 photographs from the US Presidents railroad commission, all in 1960 (I’m assume 1960 inclusive is out cutoff date). All subjects, incl. freight cars.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/?f%5Bcollection_tesim%5D%5B%5D=U.S.+President%27s+Railroad+Commission+Photographs

Enjoy.

Dave Nelson

Matt Smith

Great shot of freight cars but many more contextual pictures of freight yards, siding, grade crossings etc. Very valuable for modeling even if the subject is not your "home" road.  Thanks for sharing the direct link!

Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Tim O'Connor

we had a switch like that on the NVRRA club layout, semi-gantlet style, made that way to put
the throw rod outside of a tunnel. in the case of the photo, to move the throw rod past the
road way.

On 4/29/2019 6:17 PM, James SANDIFER wrote:

Interesting piece of trackwork.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20864642

J. Stephen Sandifer

1655 photographs from the US Presidents railroad commission, all in 1960 (I’m assume 1960 inclusive is out cutoff date). All subjects, incl. freight cars.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/?f%5Bcollection_tesim%5D%5B%5D=U.S.+President%27s+Railroad+Commission+Photographs

Enjoy.

Dave Nelson

Sterling, Massachusetts

David Soderblom

More than track work, that is a scene worth modeling: mud, uneven ties, ruts, grunge between the rails, ...

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@stsci.edu, 410-338-4543

Nolan Hinshaw

On Apr 29, 2019, at 3:17 PM, James SANDIFER wrote:

Interesting piece of trackwork.
https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20864642
The straddle loader between the Cadillac and the flatcar takes me back...
--
^<@<.@*
}"_# |

boro2ang

There's been a couple of cars on the ground in this shot.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20863490

Bryan Borovec

Andrew

Thanks for posting. A treasure trove!

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bryan and List Members,

When I lived in San Francisco, I saw parts of Harrison St that still had the remains of street trackage and had depressions in the pavement that looked just like that - I figured it must have been from cars that left the rails and got rolled along the pavement.

Claus Schlund

There's been a couple of cars on the ground in this shot.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20863490

Bryan Borovec

That would be a nice detail to add at a crossing.  Also in the photo is the new-ish Alaskan way viaduct, which is now mostly been converted to gravel.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide