From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of bill stanton
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:03 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] New Walthers USRA based cars

fwiw i once asked my local hobby shop owner to query the walther's rep about why they were so indifferent to prototype accuracy, even with easy stuff like car numbers.

the response was that walther's doesn't believe those who would buy their cars care at all about such things.

i have come to just assume walthers is going to be inaccurate and don't give their stuff a second look...(i really don't understand their outlook...just too lazy to do the research or don't think its worth the expense...i'm sure they are losing a lot of business and its a marvel to me that they don't know that!)  just sayin'...

     I note that they don't actually call their single-sheathed car a USRA, which is good because of course it isn't, much more like the ARA design, though pretty poorly rendered. In looking at these, and thinking how far we have (mostly) come in model freight cars, I'm just glad Richard Hendrickson isn't here to see these Walthers things.

Tony Thompson

bill stanton

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 3:35 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Brian Ehni wrote:

"Except these are all one-time-only (according to the pages)."

Have some land in Florida to sell you if you believe that...maybe for those car numbers, but you don't invest money in new injection-molded tooling to sell models only once.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Brian Ehni wrote:
"Except these are all one-time-only (according to the pages)."

Have some land in Florida to sell you if you believe that...maybe for those car numbers, but you don't invest money in new injection-molded tooling to sell models only once.

Ben Hom

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Except these are all one-time-only (according to the pages).

Thanks!

--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io" <rwitt_2000@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 12:03 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Or maybe they are an excuse to replace some of the old Train-Miniature tooling Walthers owns.

Bob Witt

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Pretty expensive for undec cars with molded on ladders.

Thanks!

--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 7:24 PM
To: "RealSTMFC@groups.io" <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] New Walthers USRA based cars

Folks,

The new Walthers flyer includes four new steam era freight cars:

40' double sheathed USRA boxcar

https://www.walthers.com/40-usra-wood-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated

40' USRA single sheathed boxcar

https://www.walthers.com/40-usra-composite-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated

- dang, look at those boards! SMH

40' steel USRA rebuilt wood boxcar

https://www.walthers.com/40-steel-rebuilt-usra-wood-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated

40' Early Wood Reefer

https://www.walthers.com/40-early-wood-reefer-ready-to-run-undecorated

This looks like a USRA reefer.

These cars are in the WalthersMainline series and have molded on grab irons. Interestingly the "single sheathed boxcar" appears to not have the classic USRA underframe that the other 3 cars show. These may make some interesting detailing and kit bashing fodder.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Tim O'Connor

We live in a bubble Ben... the STMFC bubble. I suspect Walthers knows they can sell the
models and recoup their investment. They're not counting on sales to STMFC members,
nor looking for any help or advice from us. That's been true as long as I can remember.
Greg Martin and other people helped them make their passenger cars a huge success,
but that well seems to have dried up now too.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/30/2019 10:59 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Eric Hansmann wrote:
"That 'single-sheathed boxcar' has very little detail or hardware associated with a USRA Specification 1001-B: 50-ton Single-Sheathed Box Car. It looks more like the 1923 ARA XM-1 car design."
https://www.walthers.com/40-usra-composite-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated

Except (a) I can't think of any cars Pratt truss built to the XM-1 design with 5/5/5 ends and (b) any variants built to 9 ft IH vice the default 8 ft 7 in IH.  If I do my homework, I might be able to turn up a 9 ft IH prototype as a kitbash subject, but for $28 MSRP, I shouldn't have to.
"How did they spend so much in tooling up these 'models'? I’d be hard pressed to add them to my guide to 1920s era HO scale plastic freight cars."
The best thing we can do about these models?  Don't sign up for any advanced orders.  I'm sorry that Walthers would lose their tooling investment, but these don't derserve to hit the market.  The DS car is the best of them, but for that market, why pay $28 for a model that's inferior to the better and less expensive Accurail one?  The other two models are questionable at best.  Modelers who are considering those models are better off handing me $28 and I can whip up something better from stuff that I have on hand.

Ben Hom
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Brian Carlson

Walthers is like the Borg. I can think of any freight equipment I’ve purchased from them in the past 10 years. Too many errors in most things they do.

Heck they put NKP flat car numbers on their mainline flat car when they have the correct car already in the proto, former P2K, line. SMH.

Brian J. Carlson

On May 1, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I'm taking it all in stride... nature seems to select for mediocrity. In the end, Walthers shall prevail. :-D

It's like politics. Try to tune it out. You'll have more peace of mind. 8-)

Tim O'

On 4/30/2019 8:43 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Bruce Smith wrote:
"The new Walthers flyer includes four new steam era freight cars:

40' steel USRA rebuilt wood boxcar
https://www.walthers.com/40-steel-rebuilt-usra-wood-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated

FAIL.  This model has 5/5/5 Murphy ends and XLA roof, indicating an early rebuild reusing these components that did not increase the dimensions of the original car.  Unfortunately, none of these rebuilds (ACL/C&WC, SL-SF) had 10-panel sides, but exhibited 8-panel sides.  Also, the model lacks an inset side sill and brackets that are a spotting feature of almost all rebuilt boxcars.  This, along with the Atlas "Rebuilt USRA boxcar" model, is an overpriced representation of nothing.

Ben Hom

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Bruce Smith wrote:
"The new Walthers flyer includes four new steam era freight cars:

40' steel USRA rebuilt wood boxcar
https://www.walthers.com/40-steel-rebuilt-usra-wood-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated

FAIL.  This model has 5/5/5 Murphy ends and XLA roof, indicating an early rebuild reusing these components that did not increase the dimensions of the original car.  Unfortunately, none of these rebuilds (ACL/C&WC, SL-SF) had 10-panel sides, but exhibited 8-panel sides.  Also, the model lacks an inset side sill and brackets that are a spotting feature of almost all rebuilt boxcars.  This, along with the Atlas "Rebuilt USRA boxcar" model, is an overpriced representation of nothing.

Ben Hom

Sterling, Massachusetts

Benjamin Hom

Marty McGuirk wrote:
"...sorry Ben, the Atlas rebuild is a gem compared with these things(!)* At least it has a somewhat legit looking side sill."

I'd take the Atlas rebuild over these as it's not too hard to turn the 8-panel side model with 5/5/5 Murphy ends into a legit model of the ACL/C&WC or SL-SF cars.  Larry Kline corrected the side sill on the Atlas O version, and it looked good.

"All that said, I'm actually not surprised at Walthers choice of prototypes, considering the "late steam" era seems to be experiencing a renaissance of late. But knowing full well who has the helm at Walthers product development, I'd be shocked if the decision to make these cars wasn't the result of some sort of customer survey - and I'm not shocked at all the execution of same."

Can these people be the same ones also run the Walthers Proto line?

Ben Hom