Topics

New Walthers USRA based cars

jerryglow2

I can't believe they came out with this garbage stuff which is available (usually better) by others and pass over redoing some of the P2K line. The rebuild is worst than the Atlas (and that's going some). Guess they figure on "smoke and mirrors" to fool the unknowing.

jerrryglow

Douglas Harding

It is a real shame because at one time they did, or at least attempted. That is one reason they purchased the PK2 line from Lifelike. Obviously folks have retired who used to be concerned. The aggravating thing is the “toy” train crowd doesn’t care as long as it has their railroad name on the car. So why can’t Walthers do a prototypically accurate car and then plaster it with bogus names for those who will purchase and at least allow those who do care to get an accurate car? Cutting the die is about the same.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of bill stanton
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:03 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] New Walthers USRA based cars

fwiw i once asked my local hobby shop owner to query the walther's rep about why they were so indifferent to prototype accuracy, even with easy stuff like car numbers.

the response was that walther's doesn't believe those who would buy their cars care at all about such things.

i have come to just assume walthers is going to be inaccurate and don't give their stuff a second look...(i really don't understand their outlook...just too lazy to do the research or don't think its worth the expense...i'm sure they are losing a lot of business and its a marvel to me that they don't know that!)  just sayin'...

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 6:58 AM

I note that they don't actually call their single-sheathed car a USRA, which is good because of course it isn't, much more like the ARA design, though pretty poorly rendered. In looking at these, and thinking how far we have (mostly) come in model freight cars, I'm just glad Richard Hendrickson isn't here to see these Walthers things.

Tony Thompson

bill stanton

fwiw i once asked my local hobby shop owner to query the walther's rep about why they were so indifferent to prototype accuracy, even with easy stuff like car numbers.

the response was that walther's doesn't believe those who would buy their cars care at all about such things.

i have come to just assume walthers is going to be inaccurate and don't give their stuff a second look...(i really don't understand their outlook...just too lazy to do the research or don't think its worth the expense...i'm sure they are losing a lot of business and its a marvel to me that they don't know that!)  just sayin'...

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 6:58 AM

I note that they don't actually call their single-sheathed car a USRA, which is good because of course it isn't, much more like the ARA design, though pretty poorly rendered. In looking at these, and thinking how far we have (mostly) come in model freight cars, I'm just glad Richard Hendrickson isn't here to see these Walthers things.

Tony Thompson

Brian Carlson

They have done that before. MDC 50 ft SS car comes to mind.  

Brian J. Carlson 

On May 1, 2019, at 8:00 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Tony

Isn't someone doing a high quality plastic "SP lines" B-50-15? It may -seem- stupid but if Walthers
can skim sales from a better (and pricier) product, they'll count it as a success.

Tim O'

On 5/1/2019 7:48 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
      The trouble with pretending they are USRA cars, when they aren't at all, is shown by the SP car numbers listed for the single-sheathed cars. The numbers are in fact SP's USRA box car numbers -- but the body is far closer to their ARA-style car of some years later, Class B-50-15. So they are d---ned if they do and d---ned if they don't. Car numbers to fit the body style would not fit their (bogus) USRA description.
        Do these clowns talk to no one? read no publications?

Tony Thompson 

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Tony

Isn't someone doing a high quality plastic "SP lines" B-50-15? It may -seem- stupid but if Walthers
can skim sales from a better (and pricier) product, they'll count it as a success.

Tim O'

On 5/1/2019 7:48 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
      The trouble with pretending they are USRA cars, when they aren't at all, is shown by the SP car numbers listed for the single-sheathed cars. The numbers are in fact SP's USRA box car numbers -- but the body is far closer to their ARA-style car of some years later, Class B-50-15. So they are d---ned if they do and d---ned if they don't. Car numbers to fit the body style would not fit their (bogus) USRA description.

Tony Thompson 

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Roger Huber <trainpainter@...>

Exactly...............and they'll sell zillions of them to less learned fans of the SP. Just think..........Athearn B&O PA's!

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 6:48:56 PM CDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Yes, sorry. - Al

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 4:07 PM

Al Westerfield wrote:
"The Howe truss cars are wrong for at least 5 of the 6.  They are USRA lettering, (B&O, MEC, MILW, NYC, PRR, SP) but major roads didn’t buy the Howe." 

You meant Pratt truss.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Al Westerfield wrote:
"The Howe truss cars are wrong for at least 5 of the 6.  They are USRA lettering, (B&O, MEC, MILW, NYC, PRR, SP) but major roads didn’t buy the Howe." 

You meant Pratt truss.

Ben Hom

The Walthers monthly mailer shows all the roadnames.  The DS cars appear right, (ATSF, GN. CB&Q, TH&B, WAB) except fornon-existent  UP.  The Howe truss cars are wrong for at least 5 of the 6.  They are USRA lettering, (B&O, MEC, MILW, NYC, PRR, SP) but major roads didn’t buy the Howe.

I emailed Walthers about the cars.  It appears they already are aware of the USRA SS problem, as the photo is no longer on their web site. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 3:43 PM

Has anyone see a list of roadnames for these new cars?

Dennis Storzek

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

On May 1, 2019, at 5:43 PM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Just now seeing the paint schemes. The earlier links only showed the undecs.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 3:35 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Brian Ehni wrote:

"Except these are all one-time-only (according to the pages)."

Have some land in Florida to sell you if you believe that...maybe for those car numbers, but you don't invest money in new injection-molded tooling to sell models only once.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Brian Ehni wrote:
"Except these are all one-time-only (according to the pages)."

Have some land in Florida to sell you if you believe that...maybe for those car numbers, but you don't invest money in new injection-molded tooling to sell models only once.

Ben Hom

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Except these are all one-time-only (according to the pages).

Thanks!

-- 

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io" <rwitt_2000@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 12:03 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Or maybe they are an excuse to replace some of the old Train-Miniature tooling Walthers owns.

Bob Witt

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Pretty expensive for undec cars with molded on ladders.

Thanks!

-- 

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 7:24 PM
To: "RealSTMFC@groups.io" <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] New Walthers USRA based cars

Folks,

The new Walthers flyer includes four new steam era freight cars:

40' double sheathed USRA boxcar

https://www.walthers.com/40-usra-wood-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated

40' USRA single sheathed boxcar

https://www.walthers.com/40-usra-composite-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated

- dang, look at those boards! SMH

40' steel USRA rebuilt wood boxcar

https://www.walthers.com/40-steel-rebuilt-usra-wood-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated

40' Early Wood Reefer

https://www.walthers.com/40-early-wood-reefer-ready-to-run-undecorated

This looks like a USRA reefer.

These cars are in the WalthersMainline series and have molded on grab irons. Interestingly the "single sheathed boxcar" appears to not have the classic USRA underframe that the other 3 cars show. These may make some interesting detailing and kit bashing fodder.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Tim O'Connor

We live in a bubble Ben... the STMFC bubble. I suspect Walthers knows they can sell the
models and recoup their investment. They're not counting on sales to STMFC members,
nor looking for any help or advice from us. That's been true as long as I can remember.
Greg Martin and other people helped them make their passenger cars a huge success,
but that well seems to have dried up now too.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/30/2019 10:59 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Eric Hansmann wrote:
"That 'single-sheathed boxcar' has very little detail or hardware associated with a USRA Specification 1001-B: 50-ton Single-Sheathed Box Car. It looks more like the 1923 ARA XM-1 car design."
https://www.walthers.com/40-usra-composite-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated

Except (a) I can't think of any cars Pratt truss built to the XM-1 design with 5/5/5 ends and (b) any variants built to 9 ft IH vice the default 8 ft 7 in IH.  If I do my homework, I might be able to turn up a 9 ft IH prototype as a kitbash subject, but for $28 MSRP, I shouldn't have to.
"How did they spend so much in tooling up these 'models'? I’d be hard pressed to add them to my guide to 1920s era HO scale plastic freight cars."
The best thing we can do about these models?  Don't sign up for any advanced orders.  I'm sorry that Walthers would lose their tooling investment, but these don't derserve to hit the market.  The DS car is the best of them, but for that market, why pay $28 for a model that's inferior to the better and less expensive Accurail one?  The other two models are questionable at best.  Modelers who are considering those models are better off handing me $28 and I can whip up something better from stuff that I have on hand.

Ben Hom
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Brian Carlson

Walthers is like the Borg. I can think of any freight equipment I’ve purchased from them in the past 10 years. Too many errors in most things they do. 

Heck they put NKP flat car numbers on their mainline flat car when they have the correct car already in the proto, former P2K, line. SMH. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On May 1, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I'm taking it all in stride... nature seems to select for mediocrity. In the end, Walthers shall prevail. :-D

It's like politics. Try to tune it out. You'll have more peace of mind. 8-)

Tim O'

On 4/30/2019 8:43 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Bruce Smith wrote:
"The new Walthers flyer includes four new steam era freight cars:

https://www.walthers.com/40-steel-rebuilt-usra-wood-boxcar-ready-to-run-undecorated 

FAIL.  This model has 5/5/5 Murphy ends and XLA roof, indicating an early rebuild reusing these components that did not increase the dimensions of the original car.  Unfortunately, none of these rebuilds (ACL/C&WC, SL-SF) had 10-panel sides, but exhibited 8-panel sides.  Also, the model lacks an inset side sill and brackets that are a spotting feature of almost all rebuilt boxcars.  This, along with the Atlas "Rebuilt USRA boxcar" model, is an overpriced representation of nothing.

Ben Hom

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

I'm taking it all in stride... nature seems to select for mediocrity. In the end, Walthers shall prevail. :-D

It's like politics. Try to tune it out. You'll have more peace of mind. 8-)

Tim O'

On 4/30/2019 8:43 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Bruce Smith wrote:
"The new Walthers flyer includes four new steam era freight cars:

FAIL.  This model has 5/5/5 Murphy ends and XLA roof, indicating an early rebuild reusing these components that did not increase the dimensions of the original car.  Unfortunately, none of these rebuilds (ACL/C&WC, SL-SF) had 10-panel sides, but exhibited 8-panel sides.  Also, the model lacks an inset side sill and brackets that are a spotting feature of almost all rebuilt boxcars.  This, along with the Atlas "Rebuilt USRA boxcar" model, is an overpriced representation of nothing.

Ben Hom

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Benjamin Hom

Marty McGuirk wrote:
"...sorry Ben, the Atlas rebuild is a gem compared with these things(!)* At least it has a somewhat legit looking side sill."

I'd take the Atlas rebuild over these as it's not too hard to turn the 8-panel side model with 5/5/5 Murphy ends into a legit model of the ACL/C&WC or SL-SF cars.  Larry Kline corrected the side sill on the Atlas O version, and it looked good.

"All that said, I'm actually not surprised at Walthers choice of prototypes, considering the "late steam" era seems to be experiencing a renaissance of late. But knowing full well who has the helm at Walthers product development, I'd be shocked if the decision to make these cars wasn't the result of some sort of customer survey - and I'm not shocked at all the execution of same."

Can these people be the same ones also run the Walthers Proto line? 

Ben Hom