Topics

Etched freight car ladders

Eric Hansmann

Plano Model Products is introducing etched metal freight car ladders to their extensive line of details. We take an early look at the product in the latest Resin Car Works blog post.

http://blog.resincarworks.com/more-etched-ladders/

Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy

pennsylvania1954

I know I am committing heresy, but I am going to ask anyway: why are etched car ladders "better" than plastic? Square rungs? Folded stiles? Really?

Sorry, I don't see it. DA 6241 and 6242 as well as Kadee's very nice ladders are fabulous. And there are others. Am I missing something?
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Tim O'Connor

You're missing something, yes.

The Detail Associates ladders are beautiful - if you are building 10'6" tall box cars.

And my stash of them are running very low. They probably will never be produced again.

Kadee ladders are beautiful too - if you want 7 rung PS-1 ladders for 10'6" box cars.

Tim O'Connor

On 5/6/2019 9:34 AM, pennsylvania1954 wrote:
I know I am committing heresy, but I am going to ask anyway: why are etched car ladders "better" than plastic? Square rungs? Folded stiles? Really?

Sorry, I don't see it. DA 6241 and 6242 as well as Kadee's very nice ladders are fabulous. And there are others. Am I missing something?
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Pierre Oliver

The reason I started creating etched ladders was 2 fold.
One, I was finding it difficult to get all the ladder rung spacings that I desired. A good example is the 12" rung spacing in the upcoming N&W B-3 kit I'll be offering.
Two, I get real tired of plastic ladders splitting down the centre as I desprue them.
And as a bonus, it`s now real easy to create ladders of different widths. The NP '37 AAR boxcar had side ladders 18"wide and end ladders 15"wide

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 5/06/19 9:34 a.m., pennsylvania1954 wrote:

I know I am committing heresy, but I am going to ask anyway: why are etched car ladders "better" than plastic? Square rungs? Folded stiles? Really?

Sorry, I don't see it. DA 6241 and 6242 as well as Kadee's very nice ladders are fabulous. And there are others. Am I missing something?
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Nelson Moyer

Not necessarily better but different, and YMW etched rungs are so small you can’t tell if they are round or square at normal viewing distance. Another advantage of YMW stiles and rungs is that you have some latitude for making ladders with different rung spacing and rung length, which is especially useful for older car, especially  some reefers with 22 in. rung length.

Nelson Moyer

I know I am committing heresy, but I am going to ask anyway: why are etched car ladders "better" than plastic? Square rungs? Folded stiles? Really?

Sorry, I don't see it. DA 6241 and 6242 as well as Kadee's very nice ladders are fabulous. And there are others. Am I missing something?
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Scott

Those look kind of like the ladders that came in the Railyard Models kits.

Ever since I switched to using the little metal brake from UMM-USA the YMW ladder stiles have been a breeze.  I dont see switching from them.  I put the link below for the bender.  I dont use the screw in it as shown.  I just squeeze down when bending.  I do wish YMW had ladder stiles with an extra rung so they can be cut to a custom length to better match a prototype with uncommon ladders.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_225&products_id=59

Scott McDonald

pennsylvania1954

Tim, Pierre, Nelson--Thanks. Now I know more than I did.

Pro Custom Hobbies http://www.procustomhobbies.com/catpages/DET.shtml shows DA 6241 and 6242 in stock, as well as lots of other DA stuff.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

NB Branchline ladders are still available from Atlas too.

Choice is good!

Benjamin Hom

Colin 't Hart wrote:
"NB Branchline ladders are still available from Atlas too."

I don't see any parts listed for their ex-Branchline models on Atlas' website.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

There's a fair amount of DA stuff out there but I don't think it's being made anymore.
It will run out. And a lot of web sites are not kept up to date, although I've had good
experience with Pro Custom Hobbies. Let us know if they fill your order. :-)

Tim O'

On 5/7/2019 12:41 AM, pennsylvania1954 wrote:
Tim, Pierre, Nelson--Thanks. Now I know more than I did.

Pro Custom Hobbies http://www.procustomhobbies.com/catpages/DET.shtml shows DA 6241 and 6242 in stock, as well as lots of other DA stuff.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Ben,

They’re definitely there and turned up in a search:
https://shop.atlasrr.com/p-4054-ho-8-rung-ladders-2-sets-side-and-end.aspx

/Colin

mopacfirst

The 8 rung ladders are probably there because they were an option, added to the Branchline kits for prototypes that had the 8 rung.  The regular side and end detail sprues had 7 rung ladders, along with the side and end grabs, tackboards, etc..

Ron Merrick