PRR 2D-F8 Trucks

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

I am looking for some 2D-F8 Pennsy trucks.  I don’t like the Kadee trucks because I don’t think the sprung trucks look prototypical.  I have looked for Bowser and Red Caboose trucks but can’t find any.  Does anyone have any suggestions for trucks that would look close?

Thanks in advance.

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

514 Dover Place

Saint Louis, Missouri 63111

(314) 606-6118  (Telephone)

(314) 754-2688  (Facsimile)

MPFan1@...

Dave Parker

I think this has been discussed before, probably more than once.  The only way I know to acquire the RC version is to stumble into an older kit (or RTR?) that came with them.

AFAIK, the Bowsers are still available.  P/N 74277 for the trucks, 74286 for the frames.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Tim O'Connor

Kadee has been converting their trucks to the HGC plastic. I think their priority has been
to first convert the trucks for their RTR freight cars. Give Sam a ring and find it if they will be
bringing out the 2D-F8 trucks in HGC.

Meanwhile a tiny sliver of black styrene glued to the back side of the metal trucks will get
rid of the "see through" appearance of the metal trucks.

My gripe with the metal trucks is how poorly they roll. I replace the wheels with Reboxx wheelsets
and they roll just fine. The HGC trucks roll very well.

Tim O'Connor

On 5/10/2019 12:46 AM, Robert J. Amsler, Jr. wrote:

I am looking for some 2D-F8 Pennsy trucks.  I don’t like the Kadee trucks because I don’t think the sprung trucks look prototypical.  I have looked for Bowser and Red Caboose trucks but can’t find any.  Does anyone have any suggestions for trucks that would look close?

Thanks in advance.

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Benjamin Hom

Robert Amsler, Jr. asked:
"I am looking for some 2D-F8 Pennsy trucks.  I don’t like the Kadee trucks because I don’t think the sprung trucks look prototypical.  I have looked for Bowser and Red Caboose trucks but can’t find any.  Does anyone have any suggestions for trucks that would look close?"

Previous responses (including some dating back to 2004) have covered this; however, here are several other things to consider:
- Bolster design changed over the lifetime of these trucks, with the Red Caboose trucks representing an earlier version and the Bowser trucks representing later trucks.

- Bowser charges a flat shipping fee of $9.95.  Consider bundling your order with other items if you order directly to amortize the shipping.

- Additionally, Bowser included these trucks as stand-ins for AAR cast sideframe ("Bettendorf") trucks in non-PRR kits, particularly ACF covered hoppers, so you can rob trucks from those kits as you'll need to replace them anyway.

- Finally, consider the Kadee trucks with view blocks (to minimize the Ovechkin effect) for open cars as they'll add weight for tracking.  (If you go that route for the Bowser hoppers and gons, you can then reuse those trucks for house cars).

Ben Hom