Describing your hobby

John Riddell

Guys,
when someone asks you what is your hobby, what do you answer ? Or how do you briefly describe your hobby to a "layman" ?

John Riddell

Roger Huber <trainpainter@...>

I just tell them I'm a model railroader and proceed depending on their reaction. Some are curious and some are humored. The nasty ones I just ignore and explain there are many types of hobbies. Some play with trains, some spend all their money on beer and sports, some spend it all on boats, campers, tents and fishing stuff. It would suck if everyone did the same thing. Lakes are crowded enough on weekends just imagine what it would be like if everyone were there?

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Friday, May 10, 2019, 4:51:43 PM CDT, John Riddell <riddellj@...> wrote:

Guys,
when someone asks you what is your hobby, what do you answer ? Or how do you briefly describe your hobby to a "layman" ?

John Riddell

Randy Hammill

I’m making an operational scale model of the New Haven railroad in New Britain, CT following WWII. It usually goes into a bit of discussion about how different New Britain was before the RT 9 and especially the RT 72 highways went in, which took out huge sections of the city. Then I’ll point them to my website.

Randy
--
Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954

--

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954  | https//:blog.newbritainstation.com

mopacfirst

The classic conversation:

"You're what?  Oh, trains.  How many sets do you have?"

When I say "None", they're usually totally non-plussed.  Explaining about building freight cars sometimes lasts a few sentences, long enough for the other party to recall that Uncle whatever, or Grandpa, used to have some Lionel and how it's either still in the attic or "How much do you think it's worth and can I sell it on eBay?"

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor

"model trains" - I might get a weird look, but there's rarely any follow up. which is fine with me.

"surfing the web" seems to be the most popular leisure activity in the entire world now :-(

On 5/10/2019 10:46 PM, mopacfirst wrote:
The classic conversation:

"You're what?  Oh, trains.  How many sets do you have?"

When I say "None", they're usually totally non-plussed. Explaining about building freight cars sometimes lasts a few sentences, long enough for the other party to recall that Uncle whatever, or Grandpa, used to have some Lionel and how it's either still in the attic or "How much do you think it's worth and can I sell it on eBay?"

Ron Merrick
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Jim Hayes

My wife would say I build museum quality models.

JimH

np328

  John,
     I explain that I am into railroad research and "yeah, I play with trains also". And I look straight into their eyes when I say this.
           If we at my house I'll offer them a copy of my railroad societies historical magazine with an article that I've had published. After looking at the article for a moment, most people give an appreciative grunt.  Most professional people acknowledge the work that takes.

      Now with others, (it depends on the read you get off them or if they are  - the nasty ones - as described by Roger above.) I'll answer that "I do historical research, mostly about railroads. And before you ask, do I play with trains? Yup, just like Reverend Lovejoy on the Simpsons ! "  I've found that to generate anything from a smile to more often laughter. For most of those nasty types, the humor completely deflects any follow up they might have. Other people, it seems to put them at ease. Matt Groening always has wrote Reverend Lovejoy's model railroading experiences as never going too well. A useful foil.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Jim Dick - St. Paul

Peter Ness

Over the years of responding, for me, the most suitable response is; "I play with trains".  As others have commented usual responses range from knowing someone in the family that also plays with or used to play with trains, to an admission the querent used to play with trains.  VERY rarely, but sometimes, they respond they also play with trains or their spouse plays with (or collects) trains. I can't say I've met many nasty folks - whatever the definition is - but the worst I get is a grunt to which I respond; "Hey! In some ways I guess I never grew up!" If there is any follow-up conversation I say my interests have changed over the years and I model a specific railroad in New England and tell them they can take a look at my website if they are curious.  Sometimes mentioning New England changes the course of the conversation to visits they have made or family that live there, etc. If the initial response is either fish eyes on ice or deer in the headlights I go straight to the "never grew up line", chuckle and move the conversation along.

One thing I've also noticed over the years; in many - but not all - cases the hobby question is asked of me AFTER the person has already told me their hobby.  If they have already told me of their hobby, I pattern my response along the lines of theirs; if it was a brief "I collect guns" I reply; "I collect trains", if they have waxed eloquent over the fascinating and creative world of scrapbooking I counter with the joys of modeling the New Haven Railroad in 1959. If this is not what prompted their question, it is usually my follow-up.  Heck, of someone wants to take the chance to ask of my hobby, lets put them on the spot as well.

I've had the question asked on job interviews and give exactly the same response.  Over years I've learned from the HR POV this can be a checkbox question.  It is better to have a hobby than not. And it is better to have a hobby that is NOT surfing the interwebs or playing video games. In interviews with hiring managers I have learned that having a hobby that involves use of hands is a strong plus, indicating a "hands on" approach to problem solving - a very desirable trait in any field. Little do they know...but still, I like to think there is some merit to their line of thinking. I have a link to my website on my resume and LinkedIn.  In (hopefully) my most recent hire (back to my home in New Hampshire, last planned job before retirement), my hiring manager posted a complete sentence that my hobby is model railroading in the org announcement. To date at work, no one has contacted me about model trains, but 4-5 guys have come to introduce themselves because I drive a Trans Am and they also drive a muscle car.  Oh well....

Peter Ness

Tom Madden

I try to avoid using the word "trains" in a first reply. I say "I'm a railroad historian" and see where that leads. If pressed, I'll say i do research which gives me the opportunity to travel and give presentations. If you've ever gone to an RPM meet, even if you've not given a clinic, some variation of this approach get's you out of the "playing with trains" arena. If someone wants to go deeper, I try to work 3D printing into the conversation. Even if you're not involved in it, mentioning the application of 3D printing or other advanced technologies to our hobby will give you the conversational upper hand and, often, pique someone's interest and lead to a really rewarding conversation. Which is the point, right?

Tom Madden

BillM

Peter

What is the link to your website? I apologize if it was posted and I missed it.

Blessings

Bill Michael

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Nolan Hinshaw

On May 11, 2019, at 07:53, Tom Madden via Groups.Io <pullmanboss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I try to avoid using the word "trains" in a first reply.
I de-emphasize the trains, stating that I simulate historical transportation systems. Drilling deeper to railroads, I state that the trains are merely actors on the stages I mess with.

^<@<.@*
}"_# |
-@$&/_%
!( @|=>
;`+$?^?
,#"~|)^G

Paul Doggett

I don’t even try they accept me as a biker and railroad modeller or they can lump it other people’s opinions don’t bother me they take me as they find me or they go and take a run.

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 11 May 2019, at 17:00, Nolan Hinshaw via Groups.Io <cearnog=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

On May 11, 2019, at 07:53, Tom Madden via Groups.Io <pullmanboss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I try to avoid using the word "trains" in a first reply.
I de-emphasize the trains, stating that I simulate historical transportation systems. Drilling deeper to railroads, I state that the trains are merely actors on the stages I mess with.

^<@<.@*
}"_# |
-@$&/_%
!( @|=>
;`+$?^?
,#"~|)^G

Peter Ness

Hi Bill,
The link is https://newhavenrailroad1959.webs.com/ it's very specific to the New Haven, I'm afraid.

Regards,
[...]

O Fenton Wells

Paul, I totally agree with you.  I stopped trying to make myself look good to non MR's(It's impossible in my case anyway), When they ask about the Thomas engine I just smile and say...not yet.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Barry Bennett

Like Paul, and Fenton, I really couldn't care less what people think or say. If they comment I usually reply " well it's more interesting than wandering around in a field knocking a little ball along in front of me, and is a whole lot safer too."

Barry Bennett, England. About 60 miles east of Paul.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Paul Doggett

Oh Fenton I know what you mean at 6’6” they don’t usually say much even though I am getting on a bit 71 years

Paul

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

O Fenton Wells

I just tell all that it is my therapy and it keeps me out of the bars.....some of the time!!!!!!!!

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Paul Doggett

Well said Barry

Paul

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

BillM

Peter

Thank you. I enjoy all model railroads especially in that time frame. I can learn and get ideas from different sources even though I model the Southeast.

Thanks again and keep the posts coming.

Blessings

Bill

[...]

Rod Miller

I just tell them I have the model railroading disease which
is extremely contagious and fortunately has no cure.

--
Rod Miller
Handcraftsman