UP series 10300 to 12499

Lester Breuer

I received a 3 pack Accurail set of the cars shown in the attached photo. The cars do not have the O.-W.R.& N. small letters to show ownership which the Jan. 1953 ORER states they should have.  The cars have R-3-4 ends and have a diagonal panel roof.  Wondering when built and when painted in this paint scheme if prototype exists.
Thank You for your time and effort to help in advance.

Lester Breuer

Brian Carlson

In this case the reweigh date of 66 corresponds with the pint date. That was the mid-1960s UP paint scheme.

Brian J. Carlson 

On May 21, 2019, at 5:04 PM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I received a 3 pack Accurail set of the cars shown in the attached photo. The cars do not have the O.-W.R.& N. small letters to show ownership which the Jan. 1953 ORER states they should have.  The cars have R-3-4 ends and have a diagonal panel roof.  Wondering when built and when painted in this paint scheme if prototype exists.

Lester Breuer
<BF3838B8-E0C4-4C16-A13A-9A29F33A02C6.jpeg>

Aley, Jeff A

The cars are lettered as class B-50-41.  The prototype B-50-41 was a 1944 AAR box car with R/3/4 Early Improved Dreadnaught ends, and a diagonal panel roof.  These cars also had Alternating Center Rivets, which the model certainly does not have (few models do).  One could add them using Archer rivets, or one could do as I do and INTEND to add the Archer rivets someday… J

The number series for the B-50-41 in 1951 was 101600 – 105099, so these models fit that number series.

Regards,

-Jeff

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lester Breuer
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:05 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] UP series 10300 to 12499

Lester Breuer

Richard Townsend

It’s hard to predict the future but I don’t think the OWR&N lettering will be used in the mid 1960s.

On May 22, 2019, at 12:09 AM, Aley, Jeff A <Jeff.A.Aley@...> wrote:

The cars are lettered as class B-50-41.  The prototype B-50-41 was a 1944 AAR box car with R/3/4 Early Improved Dreadnaught ends, and a diagonal panel roof.  These cars also had Alternating Center Rivets, which the model certainly does not have (few models do).  One could add them using Archer rivets, or one could do as I do and INTEND to add the Archer rivets someday… J

The number series for the B-50-41 in 1951 was 101600 – 105099, so these models fit that number series.

Regards,

-Jeff

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lester Breuer
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:05 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] UP series 10300 to 12499

Lester Breuer

Tony Thompson

Richard Townsend  wrote:

It’s hard to predict the future but I don’t think the OWR&N lettering will be used in the mid 1960s.

Odd comment. My 1940 ORER, for example, shows OWR&N.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Aley, Jeff A

Tony,

It’s not odd when taken in context.

The models shown are in a post-1960 paint scheme.

The models do not show OWR&N lettering.  The original poster asked if this was an error for this particular paint scheme.

Rich’s comment is that he doesn’t believe the OWR&N reporting mark would have been on the car in the post-1960 scheme.  He also was careful to point out that 1960 is “in the future” from the perspective of STMFC.

Regards,

-Jeff

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] UP series 10300 to 12499

Richard Townsend  wrote:

Tony Thompson

Jeff Aley wrote:

The models do not show OWR&N lettering.  The original poster asked if this was an error for this particular paint scheme.
               Rich’s comment is that he doesn’t believe the OWR&N reporting mark would have been on the car in the post-1960 scheme.  He also was careful to point out that 1960 is “in the future” from the perspective of STMFC.

Thank you for the clarification. I clearly mis-read what he wrote.       

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

The UP B-50-24 and B-50-27 classes (including OWR&N and OSL) are noted as actively being
relettered in the 1963 ORER i.e. it was not yet completed by that time.

A good chance to reletter them came in 1962-1963 when the GRL (LD LMT + LT WT) numbers
for ALL freight cars had to be updated.

Tim O'Connor

On 5/22/2019 10:08 AM, Richard Townsend via Groups.Io wrote:

On May 22, 2019, at 12:09 AM, Aley, Jeff A <Jeff.A.Aley@...> wrote:

Regards,

-Jeff

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Richard Townsend

Not that odd since I was talking about the mid 1960s, not 1940. That's 25 years later. My ORERs only go up to 1959, at which time the OWR&N marks were still in use, but they were diminishing. I was speculating that by 1965 the usage might have ended. I assume a UP expert, which I am not, might know. I understand that the OWR&N was absorbed by the UP around 1936.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, May 22, 2019 11:08 am

Richard Townsend  wrote:

Richard Townsend

I just sent a response to Tony's comment, which I sent before I saw Jeff's response. I apologize if I appear to have been piling on.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, May 22, 2019 11:39 am

Jeff Aley wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. I clearly mis-read what he wrote.       

Tony Thompson