Topics

Early Southern Pacific Fruit Cars

Bob Chaparro

These photos are from the Jeff Stein Collection. He wrote, "These four SP “reefers” we’re built by the Ensign Manufacturing Co. of Huntington, West Virginia, in the late 1800s.

The Ensign Manufacturing Co. eventually became the American Car and Foundry Co. (ACF), which is still building railcars today."

https://tinyurl.com/y4o8yf2j

https://tinyurl.com/y6x2y9j4

https://tinyurl.com/y5xl5n4f

https://tinyurl.com/yyq69r22 (Morgan's Louisiana & Texas R.R.)

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

These photos are from the Jeff Stein Collection. He wrote, "These four SP “reefers” we’re built by the Ensign Manufacturing Co. of Huntington, West Virginia, in the late 1800s.
The Ensign Manufacturing Co. eventually became the American Car and Foundry Co. (ACF), which is still building railcars today."
https://tinyurl.com/yyq69r22 (Morgan's Louisiana & Texas R.R.)

   Only two of them are refrigerators. The other two are ventilated fruit cars, of which the SP system had hundreds. These are good photos, different from the views of these car types in my Volume 4 on Southern Pacific Box Cars.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history