Topics

DL&W 40' Rebuilt Automobile Boxcars were they ever converted to Auto Parts ?

Eric Thur

I am trying to get information on DL&W  11500 series Auto Boxcars re-built 35-37. These cars had Auto Racks installed when built, but my question is, Were the Auto racks ever removed and the cars used for Auto Parts loads?  If so, what year were the Auto Racks removed? Were Parts racks installed?  Did the ""AUTOMOBILE"  lettering get painted out at any point or  did it remain? I was interested in Building Yarmouth Kit  YMW-115, but want to build a late 1940's version.  The Kit is lettered " As Built" Mid-1930's. I am unable to find any photo's of this car later than 1939 on line, so I have no idea what lettering scheme these cars had 1940-1950.

 Any Information would help,

 Thank You

 Eric Thur

Benjamin Hom

Eric Thur asked:
"I am trying to get information on DL&W 11500 series Auto Boxcars re-built 35-37. These cars had Auto Racks installed when built, but my question is, Were the Auto racks ever removed and the cars used for Auto Parts loads?  If so, what year were the Auto Racks removed? Were Parts racks installed?  Did the ""AUTOMOBILE"  lettering get painted out at any point or  did it remain? I was interested in Building Yarmouth Kit  YMW-115, but want to build a late 1940's version.  The Kit is lettered " As Built" Mid-1930's. I am unable to find any photo's of this car later than 1939 on line, so I have no idea what lettering scheme these cars had 1940-1950."

To verify special handling equipment, get an ORER for the time you wish to model and consult the notes section in the DL&W listings for that car series.

Ben Hom

Eric Thur

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 07:21 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Ben,
 Can you point me in the direction where to get an ORER for 1948?

Eric

Guy Wilber

Eric,

The cars are included within the 11300-11599 series in October, 1950.  All were equipped with Type “E” Evans Auto Loaders with 12 floor tie down chain tubes, or a combination of tubes and internal floor “U” brackets.  The cars had the same configuration in January of 1945...I would “guess” that the Loaders were upgraded from an earlier loader design as the “E” was not available when they were rebuilt in 1935-37.  They were likely upgraded prior to WW II, but I can’t confirm that.  There’s a chance those loaders were changed near the end of the War as the Type “E” design was a common install for 40 foot auto cars.

Mike Delvechio would be your definitive source.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

On May 24, 2019, at 7:05 AM, Eric Thur <prrtrainguy@...> wrote:

I am trying to get information on DL&W  11500 series Auto Boxcars re-built 35-37. These cars had Auto Racks installed when built, but my question is, Were the Auto racks ever removed and the cars used for Auto Parts loads?  If so, what year were the Auto Racks removed? Were Parts racks installed?  Did the ""AUTOMOBILE"  lettering get painted out at any point or  did it remain? I was interested in Building Yarmouth Kit  YMW-115, but want to build a late 1940's version.  The Kit is lettered " As Built" Mid-1930's. I am unable to find any photo's of this car later than 1939 on line, so I have no idea what lettering scheme these cars had 1940-1950.

 Any Information would help,

 Thank You

 Eric Thur

Bill Welch

No 1948 but Westerfield site shows both 1945 and 1950 available as a DVD.

Bill Welch

Schleigh Mike

Hello Group!

According to the 1952 issue of the DL&W's equipment diagrams, pages 15-16A, nearly 300 cars were still in service.  These were equipped with Evans Loaders.  The Erie Lackawanna RR Hist. Soc. has reprints of these diagrams.

Regards from sunny Grove City in western Penna----Mike Schleigh

On Friday, May 24, 2019, 11:04:27 AM EDT, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

No 1948 but Westerfield site shows both 1945 and 1950 available as a DVD.

Bill Welch

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

Which auto company's plants were supported by the DL&W?

On May 24, 2019 at 12:18 PM "Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io" <mike_schleigh@...> wrote:

Hello Group!

According to the 1952 issue of the DL&W's equipment diagrams, pages 15-16A, nearly 300 cars were still in service.  These were equipped with Evans Loaders.  The Erie Lackawanna RR Hist. Soc. has reprints of these diagrams.

Regards from sunny Grove City in western Penna----Mike Schleigh

On Friday, May 24, 2019, 11:04:27 AM EDT, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

No 1948 but Westerfield site shows both 1945 and 1950 available as a DVD.

Bill Welch

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

I remember Gen Motors had Framingham, MA, and Wilmington, DE, assembly plants while there were separate chassis and bodies.

Al Kresse

On May 24, 2019 at 12:18 PM "Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io" <mike_schleigh@...> wrote:

Hello Group!

According to the 1952 issue of the DL&W's equipment diagrams, pages 15-16A, nearly 300 cars were still in service.  These were equipped with Evans Loaders.  The Erie Lackawanna RR Hist. Soc. has reprints of these diagrams.

Regards from sunny Grove City in western Penna----Mike Schleigh

On Friday, May 24, 2019, 11:04:27 AM EDT, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

No 1948 but Westerfield site shows both 1945 and 1950 available as a DVD.

Bill Welch

MDelvec952 <MDelvec952@...>

Lackawanna wasn't in the auto parts business and it served no big auto plants.  We're not aware that the DF loaders were ever removed. DL&W autocars transported mostly new vehicles from factory to customer siding. Nickel Plate and Wabash were the biggest sources of new autos heading from Detroit to Eastern markets. Cars received in Buffalo were mostly forwarded to Jersey City yards and floated to Brooklyn, Manhattan and Bronx, and at team tracks across the system.

Attached are a couple of photos. The black and white photo was from 1950 in Newton on the Sussex Branch as a car was behind shoved along the loading dock at the freight house. Hal Carstens collection (he didn't shoot these; they were fuzzy box camera negatives that I printed in the 1980s.)

As for paint, some did get the Phoebe Snow billboard repaint but I've seen no photos of the Yarmouth cars in billboard paint.. After 1955 many boxcar repaints got no billboard at all. Photos of the Yarmouth cars aren't common since the main line trains moving auto loads and empties were night runners on the east end.

Hope this helps                            ....Mike Del Vecchio

I am trying to get information on DL&W  11500 series Auto Boxcars re-built 35-37. These cars had Auto Racks installed when built, but my question is, Were the Auto racks ever removed and the cars used for Auto Parts loads?  If so, what year were the Auto Racks removed? Were Parts racks installed?  Did the ""AUTOMOBILE"  lettering get painted out at any point or  did it remain? I was interested in Building Yarmouth Kit  YMW-115, but want to build a late 1940's version.  The Kit is lettered " As Built" Mid-1930's. I am unable to find any photo's of this car later than 1939 on line, so I have no idea what lettering scheme these cars had 1940-1950.

 Any Information would help,

 Thank You

 Eric Thur

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

Mike,

Do you have an e-mail address for Hal Carstens?

Thanx

Al

[...]

Brian Carlson

Hal Carstens died in 2009.

Brian J. Carlson

On May 25, 2019, at 9:35 AM, al.kresse <water.kresse@...> wrote:

[...]

Al, Hal passed close to ten years ago. The negatives were made by a Newton resident.

Mike

On May 25, 2019, at 10:14 AM, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

[...]

I was looking to collect enough material about car pooling at the auto plants for a C&O Hist Mag article eventually.  Cars got split up over multiple railroads . . . even if the plant was switched by the PM, etc.

That 1938 image is great.

Al