Topics

Clover House Chalk Marks


Dave Lawler
 

I bought a pack of the Clover House chalk marks a couple of years ago and found that
they would not transfer from the backing sheet no matter what surface I tried to put them on.
I contacted Clover House and was told the were having problems with the white transfers.
They sent me a replacement set and I had the same problem.
The black transfers work fine. I hope they have corrected the problem as I think dry transfer
chalk marks are a good way to go in many applications.
Dave Lawler


Paul Doggett
 

Quite possibly it’s purple in colour and stinks to try and stop tramps drinking it.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 


On 26 May 2019, at 18:47, steve_wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner@...> wrote:

I think we call methylated spirits "denatured alcohol" over here in the states


steve_wintner
 

I think we call methylated spirits "denatured alcohol" over here in the states


Paul Doggett
 

I have found when using British dry print transfers that have dried out methylated spirit helps them to adhere to any matt or gloss surface.

Paul 


On 26 May 2019, at 17:52, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

In my experience, CDS dry transfers seem to have problems with applications over gloss (Such as  Accu-Paint). Dull coat makes it workable. I agree that a slight warming helps the transfer material leave better.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA





Ok if you say so. I can't think of a single reason not to apply them over gloss.

Tim O


Peter is using dry transfers, not decals 😉   In my experience, dry transfers work equally well over both gloss or flat.


Regards,

Bruce Smith




Andy Carlson
 

In my experience, CDS dry transfers seem to have problems with applications over gloss (Such as  Accu-Paint). Dull coat makes it workable. I agree that a slight warming helps the transfer material leave better.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA





Ok if you say so. I can't think of a single reason not to apply them over gloss.

Tim O


Peter is using dry transfers, not decals 😉   In my experience, dry transfers work equally well over both gloss or flat.


Regards,

Bruce Smith




Tim O'Connor
 


Ok if you say so. I can't think of a single reason not to apply them over gloss.

Tim O'


On 5/26/2019 12:34 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

Tim,


Peter is using dry transfers, not decals 😉   In my experience, dry transfers work equally well over both gloss or flat.


Regards,

Bruce Smith




--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Tim O'Connor
 


Obviously must depend on storage conditions. I've used transfers 25+ years old with very
few problems. But one thing I always do is to transfer the SMALL stuff to decal paper first,
and brush over Microscale Liquid Decal Film. I started doing it just to make it easier to place
them exactly right. Regular decals dry out too, if they are stored improperly.

Tim O'Connor



On 5/26/2019 11:37 AM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 07:43 AM, peteraue wrote:
My dry transfer sheets are a few years old. What am I doing wrong?
Dry transfers eventually go bad. They are sticky ink printed on wax paper; pressing them against another surface causes the ink to stick to the surface better than it sticks to the wax, and it transfers. With age the ink drys out and becomes hard and less sticky and it will no longer transfer. I haven't tried this, but for small transfers like chalk marks, you might try gently warming the spot on the sheet over an incandescent light bulb and see if it transfers better warm.

Dennis Storzek


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Bruce Smith
 

Tim,


Peter is using dry transfers, not decals 😉   In my experience, dry transfers work equally well over both gloss or flat.


Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL




From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2019 10:03 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Clover House Chalk Marks
 
Peter

decals should be applied prior to Dullcote

over Dullcote your best bets

     (1) fine artist's pencils (e.g. PrismaColor)
     (2) Gelly Roll fine & medium WHITE ink pens

Tim




On 5/26/2019 10:43 AM, peteraue via Groups.Io wrote:
> I am looking for guidance because I'd much rather use dry transfer
> chalk marks than decals. Though my car sides have a fresh flat
> Dullcote finish I cannot get my Clover House chalk marks to stick to??
> the surface. Besides various hardness pencils, I've tried every
> suitable device in my arsenal with absolutely no luck. Sometimes, a
> part of the chalk mark sticks but then the other part doesn't come off
> the carrier paper. Is there a degradation of the adhesive with age? My
> dry transfer sheets are a few years old. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Peter Aue


--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*




Dennis Storzek
 

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 07:43 AM, peteraue wrote:
My dry transfer sheets are a few years old. What am I doing wrong?
Dry transfers eventually go bad. They are sticky ink printed on wax paper; pressing them against another surface causes the ink to stick to the surface better than it sticks to the wax, and it transfers. With age the ink drys out and becomes hard and less sticky and it will no longer transfer. I haven't tried this, but for small transfers like chalk marks, you might try gently warming the spot on the sheet over an incandescent light bulb and see if it transfers better warm.

Dennis Storzek


Tim O'Connor
 

Peter

decals should be applied prior to Dullcote

over Dullcote your best bets

    (1) fine artist's pencils (e.g. PrismaColor)
    (2) Gelly Roll fine & medium WHITE ink pens

Tim

On 5/26/2019 10:43 AM, peteraue via Groups.Io wrote:
I am looking for guidance because I'd much rather use dry transfer chalk marks than decals. Though my car sides have a fresh flat Dullcote finish I cannot get my Clover House chalk marks to stick to?? the surface. Besides various hardness pencils, I've tried every suitable device in my arsenal with absolutely no luck. Sometimes, a part of the chalk mark sticks but then the other part doesn't come off the carrier paper. Is there a degradation of the adhesive with age? My dry transfer sheets are a few years old. What am I doing wrong?

Peter Aue
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*


peteraue
 

I am looking for guidance because I'd much rather use dry transfer chalk marks than decals. Though my car sides have a fresh flat Dullcote finish I cannot get my Clover House chalk marks to stick to?? the surface. Besides various hardness pencils, I've tried every suitable device in my arsenal with absolutely no luck. Sometimes, a part of the chalk mark sticks but then the other part doesn't come off the carrier paper. Is there a degradation of the adhesive with age? My dry transfer sheets are a few years old. What am I doing wrong?

Peter Aue