Topics

Reading decals - was Printing White Decals - 'Fonts'

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

      Reading hoppers with this paint have given me sme grief. Can anyone advise me with any certainty as to
what year the red patch herald began t be used. Did it only come through on new cars such as the offset hoppers
in 1952, that Kadee has offered, and later or might it have been earlier. Also, was it used when repainting the
hoppers and, if so, beginning when. My cut-off date is December 1948 but I like the look of these cars and will
have a few around IF they can be rostered without bending the time line.

Thanks in advance,, Don Valentine

Drew M.

Don,
   I can't give you an exact date off the top of my head but the "America's Largest..." herald was introduced in the early 1950s on an order of offset side, two bay hoppers. Cars rebuilt received it when painted. The herald was phased out as a money saving move in the early 1960s. The guys over at the Reading Modeler website have much information on the Reading. John Hall included info on the herald in his two bay hopper set which, since I was looking for one, I could not locate in my stash.

Drew Marshall in Philly, PA

Sent from TypeApp

On May 27, 2019, at 20:55, "Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
      Reading hoppers with this paint have given me sme grief. Can anyone advise me with any certainty as to
what year the red patch herald began t be used. Did it only come through on new cars such as the offset hoppers
in 1952, that Kadee has offered, and later or might it have been earlier. Also, was it used when repainting the
hoppers and, if so, beginning when. My cut-off date is December 1948 but I like the look of these cars and will
have a few around IF they can be rostered without bending the time line.

Thanks in advance,, Don Valentine

Bruce Smith

Don,

The anthracite herald appeared at least as early as 1942. I have a photo of READING HTs 67300, new, 9/42, in this scheme. For a color photo of HTf 89252 see page 38 of the Reading Color Guide showing it with a 1944 reweigh that also appears to be a new repaint. I also have a color photo of Hth 75096 in this scheme with a reweigh of STC 5-48, for a car built in 1917, so no, it was not just applied to newly built cars.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

      Reading hoppers with this paint have given me sme grief. Can anyone advise me with any certainty as to
what year the red patch herald began t be used. Did it only come through on new cars such as the offset hoppers
in 1952, that Kadee has offered, and later or might it have been earlier. Also, was it used when repainting the
hoppers and, if so, beginning when. My cut-off date is December 1948 but I like the look of these cars and will
have a few around IF they can be rostered without bending the time line.

Thanks in advance,, Don Valentine

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

     Thank you Drew and Bruce. I feel a bit better knowing the herald was around in 1948. It is easier to change car numbers and built
dates on commonly found cars that it is to change the herald used.

Cordially, Don Valentine

James E Kubanick

I have a photo of RDG 70056, a four bay rib side hopper with a reweigh date of 8-49 with the anthracite logo. I cannot see the class designation on this car, though, as this car has paint damage in that spot. It appears to have been built 6-24.

I plan to model this car using the old Hobbyline car as it has the correct number of ribs and rib spacing.and It will not take a great deal of effort to upgrade the car. I have previously done a Lehigh Valley version, which is nearly identical, although the Reading car has Andrews trucks, making it even more interesting.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV.

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 7:42:33 AM EDT, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

     Thank you Drew and Bruce. I feel a bit better knowing the herald was around in 1948. It is easier to change car numbers and built
dates on commonly found cars that it is to change the herald used.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Drew M.

My apologies, Don. I mixed up your question with when the RDG introduced speedlettering. As others have pointed out the "America's Largest..." herald was around by your cutoff date.

Drew in Philly

Sent from TypeApp