Topics

SRIX Refrigerator Cars

Steve and Barb Hile

Apparently Safety Car Heating and Lighting operated a small fleet of Safety Refrigeration reefers with SRIX marks in the 1930's.  Has anyone seen a photo of such?  We ran into some Pullman drawings from lot 5457 yesterday at IRM.

Thanks,
Steve Hile

Scott

There is at least one photo available.  They had a short life span though as they were sold to the MDT and rebuilt into regular reefers.

Scott McDonald

Ed Hawkins

On May 30, 2019, at 9:46 AM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

Apparently Safety Car Heating and Lighting operated a small fleet of Safety Refrigeration reefers with SRIX marks in the 1930's.  Has anyone seen a photo of such?  We ran into some Pullman drawings from lot 5457 yesterday at IRM.

Steve,
Pullman Lot 5457 was for 50 cars, SRIX 101-150. A side-view builder photo of SRIX 101, built 10-29, was published on p. 191 of the 1931 Car Builders’ Cyclopedia. Drawings also appear on pages 190-192.

Side & end views of SRIX 138, built 1-30, were published on p. 112-113 of the book Great Yellow Fleet - photos credited to the Smithsonian Institution.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Ed and List Members,

Ed wrote: "A side-view builder photo of SRIX 101, built 10-29, was published on p. 191 of the 1931 Car Builders’ Cyclopedia. Drawings also appear on pages 190-192"

Note this same set of pages can be found in Train Shed Cyc #3

Claus Schlund