K BraKE QUESTION

Dave Nelson

I’m trying to find out what the air volume was for a typical KC brake reservoir.  Anyone know?

Dave Nelson

Guy Wilber

Dave Nelson asked: “I’m trying to find out what the air volume was for a typical KC brake reservoir?”

Dave,

1929 ARA Standards (attached).

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Randy Hees

K (and the predecessor H) brakes came in several sizes (K-1 through K-4)...   K-1 being the smallest...  They will have different sizes of cylinders (pistons) and reservoirs.  This is independent of KC (K connected) or KD (K disconnected) which use the same size cylinders and reservoirs for each size...

Randy Hees

Dave Nelson

Thank you Guy, that's exactly what I was looking for.

FWIW in rail sims one does need to provide the correct data so the software can calculate the amount of brake force applied to the wheel rim on a speed curve. It's all rather different than working w/ HO models, especially when you cannot find the correct answer.

Thanks again!

Dave Nelson.