Topics

PRR AAR 65 foot gondola

Tim O'Connor

This surprised me - I didn't think PRR owned any AAR 65 foot gondolas.

Anyone have builder/class data?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66415287@N02/47970166157/

*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Brian Carlson

G26 or 26a can’t tell based on the small pic on my phone. They are similar but different to the AAR. Sides stakes is the most obvious difference.

On Jun 3, 2019, at 11:09 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

This surprised me - I didn't think PRR owned any AAR 65 foot gondolas.

Anyone have builder/class data?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66415287@N02/47970166157/

*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Todd Sullivan

G33?  Blt in or before 1948 and has all full height ribs.

The G26 and G26a had shorter ribs on the side (same length) except for 2 each side where the diagonal part fo the side sheet straightens out at the bottom.

Todd Sullivan.

Bruce Smith

Brian,

I thought exactly the same thing, but the car in the photo has full-length sides stakes at every location, so it is neither G26 or G26A.

Regards
Bruce

On Jun 3, 2019, at 10:35 AM, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

G26 or 26a can’t tell based on the small pic on my phone. They are similar but different to the AAR. Sides stakes is the most obvious difference.
http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?sel=gon&sz=sm&fr=

Brian J. Carlson

On Jun 3, 2019, at 11:09 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

This surprised me - I didn't think PRR owned any AAR 65 foot gondolas.

Anyone have builder/class data?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66415287@N02/47970166157/

*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Brian Carlson

Shoot. Couldn’t tell on phone. Todd is probably correct.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jun 3, 2019, at 12:12 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Todd. It's definitely NOT a G26 but the G33 (see attached photo) appears to have several
beefier side posts (a common feature of 1950's gondolas) - but maybe this PC car was rebuilt?

Tim O'Connor

G33?  Blt in or before 1948 and has all full height ribs.

The G26 and G26a had shorter ribs on the side (same length) except for 2 each side where the diagonal part fo the side sheet straightens out at the bottom.

Todd Sullivan.
_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts

Todd Sullivan

Tim,

Your observation is correct, and I noticed it too, although the photo is pretty fuzzy when you enlarge it.

I once photographed a 52' gon in Port Jervis in the mid-1970s that was painted PC green and lettered PC.  It has all the features of a NYC/Greenville standard 52'-6" drop end mill gon except for rebuild solid ends, but had a class of G31T, which seemed like a PRR class.  I never heard about PRR picking up any of the Greenville gons, so maybe the class was a PC invention.  Who knows?  Unfortunately, I just tossed my copy of PC car diagrams during the move to Texas last week.  Maybe someone out there has a copy, or someone on the PC list.

Todd Sullivan.

Tim O'Connor

Those rebuilt gondolas were indeed exNYC (or P&LE) Greenville (lot 150-G) gondolas.

Unfortunately, Terry Link has taken down his invaluable "Canada Southern" web site with NYC et al roster
information over misuse of a couple of photos!! Seems like a rather draconian solution to me! :-(

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/home.htm

Tim O'Connor

--
*Tim O'Connor*