Topics

Pullman Library Freight Car Drawings

Bob Webber

David, the file names (the left column) is in 3 parts - the "SS-" indicates Standard Steel.   The 45602 indicates the Standard Steel Drawing Number.  The .tif is the file type we scan & store the files as.  Hence the SS-45602.tif is the full file name for the scan of that drawing.  Which is itself  "traced from C.C.C.R. Co.  Print 2704-D" - it shows the end of the specific type along with posts that support it behind and the manner in which the end is fastened to the roof (or vice-versa).  It is a 35" x 19" original on linen.

Scanned this May - would likely would never be scanned  (in an order-driven process).  There are all sorts of interesting ends, roofs, trucks and such - and hundreds of small parts - that wouldn't normally have been scanned. The main reason I have been scanning these is precisely that they wouldn't normally be ordered - and I wanted to present a nice "cross section" of drawing types; as well as railroad orders.

The plan is to obtain a collections management system, use the information we have been entering as a feed to it and present a searchable object on the web.

Towards that end too, we've been creating a "database (sic)" of assets (manuals, photos, negatives, documents, film, indexes, etc.) for the same purpose.  Who knows we have hundreds of Trailmobile negatives?  Dating to *very* early in the company (1900s)?  Or EMD marine and maritime (portable) prime mover manuals?  Or WW I trench equipment drawings?  Or Images of the test center in Hammond for freight equipment; loading of tanks & equipment built in the plants (as well as testing those vehicles); bombs & shells; ship drawings; Plant drawings and photos; freight car scheme proposals; Vendor drawings,  etc. - along with the "normal" freight & passenger car equipment drawings.

And...in terms of freight cars - 95% of drawings, Images & data *IS* Steam era.

At 08:27 PM 6/8/2019, David via Groups.Io wrote:
This one could be interesting:
SS-45602.tif?? Vulcan Corrugated Steel End - 1921 - 200 BAR Box Cars

David Thompson

Bob Webber

David

This one could be interesting:
SS-45602.tif?? Vulcan Corrugated Steel End - 1921 - 200 BAR Box Cars

David Thompson

Bob Webber

I have added the Haskell & Barker & the Pullman/Pullman Standard drawings.  Note that there are missing captions in the HB list - that has to be looked into - rather than delete them, I kept them because, well, I'm busy doing other things - you can always filter or sort.

A couple of points:
I did not pre-spell check this version - it's rawer than the last.
It is not sorted - I figured than anyone using it will sort or filter as they wish.
It is saved as an XLS file type
Note - the file name has changed - as did the description.  If you still see Standard Steel - you have an old cached version, and you'll need to reload.  If you used Jeff's method, the file will no longer be there.

This process (and the response) has been a bit eye-opening as I had though this part of the process had gone firly well - in that I thought we had captions for every thing.  We do not (or it didn't resolve correctly - TBD).

Again, these are only the drawings scanned - mostly as a result of orders, though I have started scanning entire folders.  .  These 3 list segments are a tiny proportion of the available drawings, and we are trying to process more, as time allows.

I thought that even in the raw form, it might hep people see what might be available for projects down the road.

Thanks for the comments!

http://www.pullmanlibrary.org/

(And yes, fonts & such need cleaning up on the page)

Bob Webber