Topics

Best way to cut Plano metal roof walks

Chuck Cover

I am upgrading a few models by adding Plano metal roof walks and need to shorten a few of them to fit the cars.  Has anyone had experience in cutting these metal roof walks?  What is the best way, without damaging or bending the cut end?  Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

I'm out of town presently but check with Plano direct. I was in the same quandary and he recommended a set of cutters that Amazon sells, that do an excellent job cutting the metal parts.

Dave Strahlendorf
Erlanger, Ky.

Eric Hansmann

Chuck,

I've been using cuticle scissors to cut etched parts off of the fret. I can't recall where I bought them but they look like these.

http://www.zamberg.com/zb/cuticle-scissors-inox-stainless-steel-7058i.ashx?k=GOOGLE_BASE_LIST&gclid=CKvspuO43OICFa324wcdqmwKyA

You could try using a pair of these at the very end of the running board to see if they trim the parts to your liking.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 8, 2019 at 6:09 PM Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

I am upgrading a few models by adding Plano metal roof walks and need to shorten a few of them to fit the cars.  Has anyone had experience in cutting these metal roof walks?  What is the best way, without damaging or bending the cut end?  Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Daniel A. Mitchell

Micro-Mark’s photo-etch scissors work well. For major cuts I also sometimes use a little 7” sheet-metal shear/brake. Any such tool needs to be kept sharp and tight to get a clean cut on such thin material. Even then a little clean-up with a fine stone or Sil-carbide sanding-paddle is often needed.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Jun 9, 2019, at 8:56 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Chuck,

I've been using cuticle scissors to cut etched parts off of the fret. I can't recall where I bought them but they look like these.

http://www.zamberg.com/zb/cuticle-scissors-inox-stainless-steel-7058i.ashx?k=GOOGLE_BASE_LIST&gclid=CKvspuO43OICFa324wcdqmwKyA

You could try using a pair of these at the very end of the running board to see if they trim the parts to your liking.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 8, 2019 at 6:09 PM Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

I am upgrading a few models by adding Plano metal roof walks and need to shorten a few of them to fit the cars.  Has anyone had experience in cutting these metal roof walks?  What is the best way, without damaging or bending the cut end?  Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Tim O'Connor

cut (nippers) while holding the edge where you are cutting with flat pliers or a strong clamp. then file
the cut edge while still clamped or held with pliers. then there should be no deformation.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Chuck Cover

To the group, thanks for all the tips on how to cut the Plano metal roof walks.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Chuck, i did find the link to the item I mentioned to you in yesterday's message:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0184VNMZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do an excellent job, and according to Keith at Plano, the same  pair has lasted him for many years.

Dave Strahlendorf
Erlanger, Ky