[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Coil steel loads

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

I agree with Tim; I also have cut up aluminum and steel cans of many kinds, slit one side, and overlapped the material until I got the diameter I wanted. New aluminum cans are especially easy to work with. Aluminum foil is another option. Take a long piece, cut into strips on a paper cutter, and coil until satisfied. ChartPack tape, styrene strip and metal strip all make good banding.

Elden Gatwood

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 9:12 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Coil steel loads

I save all kinds of weird, miscellaneous household things - one thing I've saved a few of is the plastic "wheels" that come with 3M Magic Tape rolls.
These have an
inner and outer cylinder - just like steel coils! Two of them side by side might be the right size for a large scale coil model. :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 6/12/2019 9:01 AM, William Canelos via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi All,

Any idea how to make coil steel loads for open gondolas. I model in
large scale so no commercial products are available in my scale.

Thanks, Bill

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

William Canelos

Thanks Tim & Elden,

Elden, how do you cut the aluminum cans??

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Bill;

I cut aluminum cans with good scissors. I generally sand the edges with fine sandpaper to eliminate any fuzz. I mark the inside of the can with a fine marker, then cut along the line. You can even make coils with good paper wound around a wooden dowel.

I also have resin molds I made from masters that I use for my many hot coil loads for gons.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of William Canelos via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2019 9:04 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Coil steel loads

Thanks Tim & Elden,

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

I have a set of coils in my 29' WP gondola which IIRC were made by Walthers. They seem to be plastic, but are very heavy and probably contain a metal core. Nice weight for the car. I made wooden cradles to hold the coils. Eight in sets of four over each truck is a full load for the 29' cars, but the 52' cars carried pretty much the same.

I also made a set of "steel" coil racks, but these are at the moment unused.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/13/19 9:45 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:
Bill;

I cut aluminum cans with good scissors. I generally sand the edges with fine sandpaper to eliminate any fuzz. I mark the inside of the can with a fine marker, then cut along the line.  You can even make coils with good paper wound around a wooden dowel.

I also have resin molds I made from masters that I use for my many hot coil loads for gons.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of William Canelos via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2019 9:04 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Thanks Tim & Elden,

Does anyone have a prototype photo they could share.  I don't think i have seen a photo of coils shipped uncovered.  Is there a spool as with cable?

Best Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Nelson Moyer

The Morning Sun Books eBook bundle, Open Top Loads – Flatcar and Gondola Color Portfolio, Volume 1 & 2, have at least ten photos of open top coil loads in addition to many closed top coil cars, structural steel loads, and many other types of loads. You can buy and download the eBook for $19.99, and while you’re at it, you may as well get the bundle of Volumes 3 & 4. The photos in these two eBooks will provide all the information you need to model virtually (no pun intended) any open top load.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Aufderheide
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2019 8:23 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Does anyone have a prototype photo they could share.  I don't think i have seen a photo of coils shipped uncovered.  Is there a spool as with cable?

Best Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Mike,

Try this: https://www.wplives.org/sn/gon.html  . Here is some additional background: https://www.wplives.org/sn/steel.html .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/14/19 9:23 AM, Michael Aufderheide wrote:

Best Regards,

Mike Aufderheide