From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:07 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Thursday Old Kitbash PRR NX23 cabin car

This as a kitbash of a PRR NX23 cabin car that I completed in the late 90s.  It started as a Cannonball Car Shops PRR X23 boxcar kit.  The kit's ends were too high and had to be cut down to match the sides.  Everything else on the model are various detail parts.  Now we have a Westerfield kit to build this prototype.

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...>

Wow! That is simply beautiful modeling at its best, a “role model”. The only simple improvement that comes directly to mind would be the replacement of the “gigantic" couplers with the Accumate Protos with their close-to-scale head and accurate striker/striker distance.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA

rwitt_2000

A really fine looking model. I assume this was the polystyrene kit.

Trying not to nit-pic, but what about the trucks shouldn't they be some PRR type truck.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Chuck Cover

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the comments.  The Cannonball Car shops kits were flat styrene kits.  For their time, they had pretty good detail.

The trucks that I used were Kadee’s version of the PRR 2DF8 trucks.  These are shown in the prototype photo that you posted.

Chuck Cover

Bill Keene

Chuck,

Good work.

Looking at your work get the juices flowing and out to the workbench.

I also agree with eliminating the big couplers … but … would recommend Sergent Engineering’s couplers. They both look and work great.

Thanks for kicking my modeling into motion. Maybe something will get done this weekend.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA