Topics

Paint Scheme for Swift 6700 Series Reefers

Nelson Moyer

I’m building two Sunshine 6700 series reefers, and I only have two photos of these cars, both in black and white. SRLX 6723 is painted in the yellow banner scheme, and it’s clear that the underframe cover plates and sill steps are yellow, while the rest of the underframe is black. SRLX 6714 is painted in the red scheme, and it’s not possible to determine if the color plates and sill steps are red or black. I can’t tell if the end sills are red or black. I’d appreciate information about the red paint scheme for this car and any color photos available.

Nelson Moyer

I, too, have two B&W photos. One is obviously red, the other yellow.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...>
Date: Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM
To: "RealSTMFC@groups.io" <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Paint Scheme for Swift 6700 Series Reefers

I’m building two Sunshine 6700 series reefers, and I only have two photos of these cars, both in black and white. SRLX 6723 is painted in the yellow banner scheme, and it’s clear that the underframe cover plates and sill steps are yellow, while the rest of the underframe is black. SRLX 6714 is painted in the red scheme, and it’s not possible to determine if the color plates and sill steps are red or black. I can’t tell if the end sills are red or black. I’d appreciate information about the red paint scheme for this car and any color photos available.

Nelson Moyer

Marty McGuirk

Nelson,

In an old issue of Rail Model Journal there was a two-page color photo showing a large number of Swift reefers - most of them in the red scheme.

You might want to check that out - or maybe this photo on the Classic Trains website will answer the question -

http://ctr.trains.com/photo-of-the-day/2017/09/swift-refrigerator-cars

Hope this helps,

Marty McGuirk

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...>
Date: Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM
To: "RealSTMFC@groups.io" <RealSTMFC@groups.io>

I’m building two Sunshine 6700 series reefers, and I only have two photos of these cars, both in black and white. SRLX 6723 is painted in the yellow banner scheme, and it’s clear that the underframe cover plates and sill steps are yellow, while the rest of the underframe is black. SRLX 6714 is painted in the red scheme, and it’s not possible to determine if the color plates and sill steps are red or black. I can’t tell if the end sills are red or black. I’d appreciate information about the red paint scheme for this car and any color photos available.

Nelson Moyer

Richard Townsend

The Feb 1993 RMJ has color photos of models built from these kits, that might answer your questions. I have only a low-res scan and can't tell. In the Oct 1953 MR Paul Larsen has an article on building a Swift reefer in the red scheme from a different number series. He had the prototype car in front of him. He said the sill steps and underframe were black. Sides and ends red, except under the door, where black was uses. He said nothing about a different color for the end sill. Looking at other color photos of other red Swift cars (all from other number series), the sill steps under the doors are always black. At the ends of the sides, the sill steps appear to vary, with red used if the sides are steel, and sometimes red, sometimes black if the sides are wood (black especially if these is a black metal plate above the step - looks like a wrap-around from the end sill). The end sills also appear to be black when that plate is on the sides. Sometimes they appear to be black even without that plate, but usually red. In many cases, heavy weathering makes color determinations difficult, with everything in question just a dirty gray. Suggested solution: weather.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I’m building two Sunshine 6700 series reefers, and I only have two photos of these cars, both in black and white. SRLX 6723 is painted in the yellow banner scheme, and it’s clear that the underframe cover plates and sill steps are yellow, while the rest of the underframe is black. SRLX 6714 is painted in the red scheme, and it’s not possible to determine if the color plates and sill steps are red or black. I can’t tell if the end sills are red or black. I’d appreciate information about the red paint scheme for this car and any color photos available.

Nelson Moyer

O Fenton Wells

Question: does anyone have a 'go to' paint for the Swift Yellow color??  I prefer lacquers.
Fenton Wells

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...>
Date: Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM
To: "RealSTMFC@groups.io" <RealSTMFC@groups.io>

I’m building two Sunshine 6700 series reefers, and I only have two photos of these cars, both in black and white. SRLX 6723 is painted in the yellow banner scheme, and it’s clear that the underframe cover plates and sill steps are yellow, while the rest of the underframe is black. SRLX 6714 is painted in the red scheme, and it’s not possible to determine if the color plates and sill steps are red or black. I can’t tell if the end sills are red or black. I’d appreciate information about the red paint scheme for this car and any color photos available.

Nelson Moyer

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

IIRC, I used Scalecoat Reefer Yellow for mine.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...>
Date: Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM
To: "RealSTMFC@groups.io" <RealSTMFC@groups.io>

[...]

I’ll look at the RMJ and MR articles. I’ve learned not to trust model photos, as even some cars in Sunshine instructions and PDSs are built and/ or painted wrong, e.g. cross bearers and/or cross ties positioned wrong and silver roof on reefers here builder’s photos were airbrushed. Model photos in old publication are particularly unreliable as little prototype information might be available when they were built. Color me skeptic.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Fenton,
Consider Yellow Ochre, perhaps lightened just a touch with some white.
Marty

On Jun 14, 2019, at 3:43 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Thanks Brian,
Fenton

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 3:42 PM BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

IIRC, I used Scalecoat Reefer Yellow for mine.

Thanks!
--
<image001.png>
Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...>
Date: Friday, June 14, 2019 at 2:04 PM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Question: does anyone have a 'go to' paint for the Swift Yellow color??  I prefer lacquers.

Fenton Wells

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 2:10 PM Marty McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

Nelson,

In an old issue of Rail Model Journal there was a two-page color photo showing a large number of Swift reefers - most of them in the red scheme.

You might want to check that out - or maybe this photo on the Classic Trains website will answer the question -

http://ctr.trains.com/photo-of-the-day/2017/09/swift-refrigerator-cars

Hope this helps,

Marty McGuirk

On June 14, 2019 at 1:01 PM BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

I, too, have two B&W photos. One is obviously red, the other yellow.

Thanks!
--
<image002.png>
Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...>
Date: Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM
To: "RealSTMFC@groups.io" <RealSTMFC@groups.io>

[...]

Sunshine instructions for the Swift 6700 series in the yellow banner scheme suggest chrome yellow (very bright) or a Scalecoat II mix (1 part reefer orange and 5 parts reefer yellow), but that is way to orange and looks nothing like chrome yellow so go figure! I know this because I’m building two of these kits except in the red scheme. Martin also recommended that same Scalecoat II mix for the NRC and MDT reefers, which I’m also building, and there he called it squash yellow and pumpkin yellow, but it’s too orange for squash (except butternut maybe) and looks more like the inside of a pumpkin. Maybe your best bet is to color match the yellow-orange color on Rapido’s recent Swift reefers. I think they got it right. You can get that color by starting with the 1 to 5 Scalecoat II mix and adding more yellow until you get the color match. I have some of the Rapido reefers in the Swift banner scheme, and they’re a light orange – definitely not straight reefer yellow and lighter than Martin’s 1 to 5 pumpkin orange mix.

Nelson Moyer

Todd Sullivan

About 8-9 years ago, I did a lot of work on a fleet of 28 Atlas Swift reefers for a friend of mine with a large layout.  I studied all the color photos I could find (there are not many), and did a lot of detail painting and car renumbering as well as painting up and decaling two different yellow schemes.  My reading of the yellow that Swift used is that it was a little more orange than Floquil's Reefer Yellow, so I added a small amount Reefer Orange and perhaps a touch of some freight car red color.  It seemed reasonably close.  As for black parts on red cars, I agree generally with Richard Townsend's comments.  One of the most interesting things about the red wooden cars was the fact that Swift painted the sides and ends and left the roofs alone, unless the roofs were painted silver.  The unpainted roofs seemed to be repainted board-by-board with all kinds of red hues from new Swift red to light pink and even shades of gray where the paint was completely gone.  I'll see if I can find a photo or two of the models and post them with this.

BTW, one of the small color books on the anthracite country railroads had a down-on shot of a CNJ yard with 2-3 Swift reefers in both the red and yellow schemes.

Todd Sullivan

Todd Sullivan

Atlas model reefer photos ...

Todd Sullivan.

Nelson Moyer

Thanks for posting the model photos, however, I think Rapido is closer to reality. Atlas is too yellow. Maybe I should post a photo of my Rapido models.

Nelson Moyer