Topics

Rapido Reefer Paint Color Comparison

Nelson Moyer

Here are three variations on reefer orange and reefer yellow. The Wilson car is definitely orange. The Scalecoat II 1 to 5 mix approximates the Wilson color. The Kingan car is medium orange-yellow, and the Swift car is light orange-yellow (actually more orange than the photo shows, but not as orange as the Kingan car). Lights are 5000 K. The swift car isn’t a bright reefer yellow but yellow with a hint of orange. I think Rapido did a better job of color matching than Atlas.

Nelson Moyer

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Nelson, I haven't found a good out of the bottle meat reefer yellow/orange.  As easily as those cars picked up dirt and grime it is a varying shade depending on the cars age, judging from actual photos in my humble opinion.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Tim O'Connor

Sigh.

On 6/14/2019 8:31 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

Here are three variations on reefer orange and reefer yellow. The Wilson car is definitely orange. The Scalecoat II 1 to 5 mix approximates the Wilson color. The Kingan car is medium orange-yellow, and the Swift car is light orange-yellow (actually more orange than the photo shows, but not as orange as the Kingan car). Lights are 5000 K. The swift car isn’t a bright reefer yellow but yellow with a hint of orange. I think Rapido did a better job of color matching than Atlas.

Nelson Moyer

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

mopacfirst

Not to derail the paint discussion, but I just noticed that both of these reefers have, on the roof, the characteristic angle just outboard of the hatches that was standard on ART cars.  They also have the characteristic horizontal seam.

Were these cars built by ACF (or someone else) to an ART design?

Ron Merrick

Peter Ness

Tim, stop muddying the waters.  One of those cars is a Wilson WCLX while the other is clearly a Wilson & Co. WCLX.  They are horses (or meat reefers) of a different color from the get-go  8-p

Peter Ness

On 6/14/2019 8:31 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

Here are three variations on reefer orange and reefer yellow. The Wilson car is definitely orange. The Scalecoat II 1 to 5 mix approximates the Wilson color. The Kingan car is medium orange-yellow, and the Swift car is light orange-yellow (actually more orange than the photo shows, but not as orange as the Kingan car). Lights are 5000 K. The swift car isn’t a bright reefer yellow but yellow with a hint of orange. I think Rapido did a better job of color matching than Atlas.

Nelson Moyer

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Nelson Moyer

OK, Wilson started out more yellow-orange than orange, but that’s not consortium reefer yellow. I have some yellow cars (WFE, FGE, and BRE) that I should have included in the comparison photo for reference. Consortium cars started out yellow and either faded (wood cars mostly) or moved toward Armour yellow. Stan displayed several consortium cars at the St. Louis RPM shortly before he passed away, and I asked him that color he use on the BREX cars. His answer was Armour yellow. I’ve since learned that Armour yellow represents cars that have been in service a while and gotten dirty, because new paint was more like Scalecoat reefer yellow. I’ve been painting new consortium cars Tru Color WFE Reefer Yellow on the assumption that FGE and BRE used the same paint colors as WFE, and the Tru color paint was matched to a color chip. A attached a couple of photos showing a car painted with WFE reefer yellow and Tru Color Armour yellow (car obviously not finished), along with the Rapido Swift car posted earlier. Reefer in service photos depend upon lights, camera (film), and action ; )

Nelson Moyer

On 6/14/2019 8:31 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

Here are three variations on reefer orange and reefer yellow. The Wilson car is definitely orange. The Scalecoat II 1 to 5 mix approximates the Wilson color. The Kingan car is medium orange-yellow, and the Swift car is light orange-yellow (actually more orange than the photo shows, but not as orange as the Kingan car). Lights are 5000 K. The swift car isn’t a bright reefer yellow but yellow with a hint of orange. I think Rapido did a better job of color matching than Atlas.

Nelson Moyer

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

A&Y Dave in MD

Why sigh?  Aren’t you glad modelers are asking the right questions and seeking answers with data and not just taking what manufacturers offer? Do you expect everyone to have been a friend of Hendrickson or have Breyer’s photo stash?

Rejoice that your message was heard and people come here looking for answers. Don’t be THAT guy.

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

--
____________________________
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

Denny Anspach

Wilson Packing: Wilson had a large beef packing house in Albert Lea, MN, and I recall lines of yellow Wilson reefers adjacent. The plant was a major underpinning for the town’s economy. I have not knowledge of how to where they marketed their beef. The plant was directly adjacent to the Milwaukee line west to Madison, SD and east to LaCrescent, MN/La Crosse, WI, and to the Rock Island’s “spine line” north to twin cities and south to Kansas City and Texas (the M& St. L was also there with direct connections via the Illinois Central to Chicago). My special memory of Wilson was when the plant manager, a family friend came to visit and fish, he always brought a prime rib roast as a house gift.

Meat Reefer Routing: This has been discussed off and on in the past, and it is always interesting. The once nearby large Morrell beef packing plant in Estherville, IA (originally a Tobin plant [Albany, NY]) marketed all of their beef to the east coast, primarily NYC and Boston, allowing the premium fresh cold beef quarters ( five or six days old when loaded into the reefers) to further age en route. I do know that one of the means of marketing was through brokers who would buy the meat while actually en route via teletype. The Morrell Plant manager, had primary responsibility for this marketing and he would begin his day about 4-5 am negotiating meat sales with east coast brokers, apparently necessitating a diversion of reefers already on the road to differing final destinations.

I was once employed in the Morrell plant deep in the sub basement steaming tank room (130º) beneath the killing floor, or in the hide cellar (a different kind of hell), while the manager’s lovely daughter Diane did filing in AC comfort in his offices far above. Now 65 years later, she is now my wife, and we do recall those memorable days of our differing stations in life. When I ask her for recall details, all she can recall is that “Daddy was always on the teletype selling car loads of beef”.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA

Aley, Jeff A

Denny,

Sounds like you married upwards. Good choice!

Regards,

-Jeff