Furniture & Woodenware Boxcar

Bob Chaparro

Furniture & Woodenware Boxcar

Does anyone have information about boxcars labeled for "woodenware"?

I can image what woodenware is. I'm just wondering how common it was to label a boxcar with the term.

http://memory.loc.gov/award/nbhips/lca/101/10143v.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charlie Vlk

Bob-

Google is your friend….

I think this Wikipedia definition of “treen” that comes up in a search for “woodenware” is likely close to the intent on the car since furniture is clearly intended to be separate:

Treen, literally "of a tree" is a generic name for small handmade functional household objects made of wood. Treen is distinct from furniture, such as chairs, and cabinetry, as well as clocks and cupboards.[1][2] Before the late 17th-century, when silver, pewter, and ceramics were introduced for tableware, most small household items, boxes and tableware were carved from wood. Today, treen is highly collectable for its beautiful patina and tactile appeal.

Anything from wooden plates and bowls, snuff boxes and needle cases, spoons and stay busks to shoehorns and chopping boards can be classed as treen. Domestic and agricultural wooden tools are also usually classed with treen.

Before the advent of cheap metal wares in industrialized societies, and later plastic, wood played a much greater part as the raw material for common objects. Turning and carving were the key manufacturing techniques. The selection of wood species was important, and close-grained native hardwoods such as box, beech and sycamore were particularly favoured, with occasional use of exotics, such as lignum vitae for mallet heads.”

Charlie Vlk

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 12:07 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:

Google is your friend….

I think this Wikipedia definition of “treen” that comes up in a search for “woodenware” is likely close to the intent on the car since furniture is clearly intended to be separate:

Charlie, I disagree. Here is all the definition of "woodenware" as it pertains to freightcars that you need. What it has in common with furniture is it won't "nest" so is light in weight for it's volume, necessitating an oversize freightcar. Carriages were another commodity that needed oversize cars, as were automobiles when they came along, and eventually lent their mane to the oversize cars.

Dennis Storzek

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi Bob and List Members,

Does anyone have a date for this image? The car lettering indicates it is a 40ft car - this might be one of the earlier 40ft cars around.

Claus Schlund

Does anyone have information about boxcars labeled for "woodenware"?

I can image what woodenware is. I'm just wondering how common it was to label a boxcar with the term.

http://memory.loc.gov/award/nbhips/lca/101/10143v.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Edward

From the 1950's to the 1960's, Walthers produced an O scale kit with decals for the Menasha Woodenware box car, as seen in that photo.
Ed Bommer

Dave Parker

Claus:

The absence of grabs/ladder on the car-end suggests pre-1911 (the SAA).  The lettering seems consistent with the oughts as well.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 05:30 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
Does anyone have a date for this image? The car lettering indicates it is a 40ft car - this might be one of the earlier 40ft cars around.
Nothing unusual about long cars for these special use cars; they weren't meant for general freight so weren't likely to be overloaded. Another related car that totally disappeared around the turn of the twentieth century is the barrel car, meant for hauling EMPTY barrels. Link to photo below.

Dennis Storzek

http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilHistory/images/TankCars/tc2.jpg

Roger Robar

Somewhere in my files I have a photo of a very similar Menasha car that is a 50’ car.   ……..  Roger Robar

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 12:07 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:

Google is your friend….

I think this Wikipedia definition of “treen” that comes up in a search for “woodenware” is likely close to the intent on the car since furniture is clearly intended to be separate:

Charlie, I disagree. Here is all the definition of "woodenware" as it pertains to freightcars that you need. What it has in common with furniture is it won't "nest" so is light in weight for it's volume, necessitating an oversize freightcar. Carriages were another commodity that needed oversize cars, as were automobiles when they came along, and eventually lent their mane to the oversize cars.

Dennis Storzek

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi Roger and List Members,

The photo is likely of car MENASHA 214 which can be seen in RMJ Jul 1989 pg 46. This is available on TRAINLIFE...

Claus Schlund

Somewhere in my files I have a photo of a very similar Menasha car that is a 50’ car.   ……..  Roger Robar

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 12:07 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:

Google is your friend….

I think this Wikipedia definition of “treen” that comes up in a search for “woodenware” is likely close to the intent on the car since furniture is clearly intended to be separate:

Charlie, I disagree. Here is all the definition of "woodenware" as it pertains to freightcars that you need. What it has in common with furniture is it won't "nest" so is light in weight for it's volume, necessitating an oversize freightcar. Carriages were another commodity that needed oversize cars, as were automobiles when they came along, and eventually lent their mane to the oversize cars.

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

The Master Car Builders Association and later ARA and AAR mechanical designations recognized these special purpose cars:

XF was an oversize furniture car
XAF was an Automobile and Furniture car. Remember these codes were adopted ca. 1910 and automobiles had become a major commodity by that time,
FB was a Barrel rack Flat. The dsignation was later reused for a Bulkhead Flat.

Dennis Storzek

Roger Robar

Thanks Claus Schlund for your reply, that is exactly the photo I was referring to.  …..  Roger Robar

[...]

earlyrail

A quick check of a coupe OER's
1900 series 8100-8199  175 cars in series

Howard Garner

Charles Peck

How does one pack 175 cars into that number series?
Chuck Peck

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 3:04 PM earlyrail <cascaderail@...> wrote:
A quick check of a coupe OER's
1900 series 8100-8199  175 cars in series

Howard Garner

earlyrail

The number series of the OR&N 8155 should have been 8000 - 8199
40'; 8' 8 5/8"; 8' 5 3/4"; 50,000 cpy  in June 1905 166 cars

Howard Garner

Aley, Jeff A

And as the linked article states, these cars were (relatively) BIG.  Denny Anspach has a model of one on his HO layout, and it looks like it’s an Sn3 boxcar!

Regards,

-Jeff