Topics

West Virginia University Freight Car Photos

Bob Chaparro

Photos from their West Virginia History On View website (https://wvhistoryonview.org/).

Click on the photos to enlarge them.

A search for "Freight Car" will produce even more photos, many of them either partial car photos or distant photos. And, as you would expect, there are tons of coal industry/railroad photos. Tons.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA
P.S. If anyone would like to share their photos of steam and transition era flat cars and gondolas with loads, I would appreciate it.

++++

Ohio River Railroad Boxcar

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/025630

Ohio River Railroad Gondola

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/025631

West Virginia Shortline Railroad Gondola

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/025632

IC Flat Car

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/038724

Morgan's Lousiana & Texas/SP Boxcar

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/025646

Eastern Kentucky Railroad Boxcar

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/025647

Reading Hopper

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/032349

Seaboard Boxcar

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/032350

PRR Boxcar

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/032351

GRCX/Koppers Tank Car

https://wvhistoryonview.org/image/032354.jpg

Western Maryland Hopper

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/001988

C&O Gondola

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/002038

C&O Hopper

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/003501

C&O Hopper

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/003502

Virginian Hopper

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/004343

CRRNJ Gondola

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/014655

Donald B. Valentine

Interesting. The Morgan's Louisiana & Texas boxcar has a total of six truss rods instead of the usual four.
When one looks at the weight capacity is is obvious why. It is a 100,000 lb. capacity car in an era of
40,000 lb. cars if not less.

Coridally, Don Valentine

Tony Thompson

Don Valentine wrote:

Interesting. The Morgan's Louisiana & Texas boxcar has a total of six truss rods instead of the usual four.
When one looks at the weight capacity is is obvious why. It is a 100,000 lb. capacity car in an era of
40,000 lb. cars if not less.

   Yes, it's a Canda-design box car. The SP soon de-rated them to 80,000 pounds though they were indeed designed for 100,000 pounds. It was the trucks that proved inadequate.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

al_brown03

SAL 9006 is class A (SAL 9001-9010), a class I've never seen before. Converted in the mid-30s from a composite gondola (it's kinda dark underneath, but that's a fishbelly underframe). Guess I've got a project!

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.