Topics

looking for drawings of Reading hopper 60000 - 60999

vapeurchapelon

Hello,

one of my friends is modeling the early 20th century and is interested to build a model of one of the series of 1000 cars of 1902-built Reading wooden coal hoppers #60000 - 60999. I have a picture of #61171 after rebuilding in 1921 (and renumbering, seemingly), but likely it would be wrong to post it here as it is a book scan. I could email it, though.
Does anyone have information of these cars or can point me to some? No matter if original or modernized configuration.

Many thanks and greetings

Johannes

David

A set of drawings is included in Eric Neubauer's "Philadelphia & Reading Freight Cars 1900-1914".

David Thompson

Alexander Schneider Jr

Johannes,

Do you know the builder of these cars? That would indicate which library is most likely to have information. For instance, Pullman Library of the Illinois Railway Museum has a majority of the drawings from Pullman and Standard Steel & Car Company, among others, while a different library in St. Louis has most of the American Car & Foundry drawings.

Alex Schneider

one of my friends is modeling the early 20th century and is interested to build a model of one of the series of 1000 cars of 1902-built Reading wooden coal hoppers #60000 - 60999. I have a picture of #61171 after rebuilding in 1921 (and renumbering, seemingly), but likely it would be wrong to post it here as it is a book scan. I could email it, though.
Does anyone have information of these cars or can point me to some? No matter if original or modernized configuration.

Many thanks and greetings

Johannes

vapeurchapelon

David, Alexander,

many thanks for your replies (and please excuse the delay). The book doesn't have an ISBN #, and my friend doesn't have that book and didn't find one by a quick search. Seems to be a very little run. Do you could provide scans of the mentioned drawings? Of course I would pay some $.
Alexander, unfortunately I (we) don't know the builder, this wasn't mentioned in the caption text.

Thanks again and greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 17. Juni 2019 um 14:11 Uhr
Von: "Alexander Schneider Jr" <aschneiderjr@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

[...]

steve_wintner

I found this website : http://www.ericsrailroadcarhistory.com/

Maybe of use to you.

Steve

anthony wagner

According to the Reading Modeler site HTb 60000-60599 were built Mar-Aug 1902 by ACF, 60600-60799 May-Sep by Middletown Car Works, and 60800-60999 May-Sep 1902 by Lebanon Manufacturing. 864 cars were rebuilt Feb-Oct 1921 to 61000-61863 HTk by ACF with steel center sills but still with 40Ton Fox trucks. They were retired between 1927 and 1934 but 264 cars were converted to ash service as HTkx in the 90000 and 91000 series except 4 cars sold to Atlantic City Railway in 1927 as 10261-10263 HTkx ash cars. Hope this helps Tony Wagner

On Saturday, June 22, 2019, 2:17:01 PM CDT, steve_wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner@...> wrote:

I found this website : http://www.ericsrailroadcarhistory.com/

Maybe of use to you.

Steve

vapeurchapelon

Hello Tony,

this definitely helps! Many thanks!

Johannes

Gesendet: Samstag, 22. Juni 2019 um 22:40 Uhr
Von: "anthony wagner" <anycw1@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

According to the Reading Modeler site HTb 60000-60599 were built Mar-Aug 1902 by ACF, 60600-60799 May-Sep by Middletown Car Works, and 60800-60999 May-Sep 1902 by Lebanon Manufacturing. 864 cars were rebuilt Feb-Oct 1921 to 61000-61863 HTk by ACF with steel center sills but still with 40Ton Fox trucks. They were retired between 1927 and 1934 but 264 cars were converted to ash service as HTkx in the 90000 and 91000 series except 4 cars sold to Atlantic City Railway in 1927 as 10261-10263 HTkx ash cars. Hope this helps Tony Wagner

On Saturday, June 22, 2019, 2:17:01 PM CDT, steve_wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner@...> wrote:

I found this website : http://www.ericsrailroadcarhistory.com/

Maybe of use to you.

Steve

vapeurchapelon

Hello Steve,

many thanks for the link! Saved it, and eventually I will contact Eric.

Johannes

Gesendet: Samstag, 22. Juni 2019 um 21:16 Uhr
Von: "steve_wintner via Groups.Io" <steve_wintner@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
I found this website : http://www.ericsrailroadcarhistory.com/

Maybe of use to you.

Steve

Bob Webber

In the FWIW dept. we *should* have the Middleton Car drawings.  St. Louis *MAY* have the AC&F drawings.   We haven't really looked for anything Middleton for a couple of years, might be entertaining to look.

We have early (1904-1909) P&R drawings for box cars, gondolas & hoppers - those were all Standard Steel tho.