Topics

Montour twin hopper M 8014

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

The Montour twin hopper M 8014 shown closest to the camera in the image linked below has a more-than-slight resemblance to a PRR class GLa hopper - especially the end construction. Does anyone else agree? Was this previously known regarding MONTOUR hoppers?

The reweigh date might be 1947, altho it is hard to tell. Note the car is rolling around on archbar trucks - this might be a little uncommon if the reweigh date really is 1947!

Is the car stencilled DISCO on the side? If so, does someone know what that indicates?

My Dec 1930 ORER does not show this car listed - does anyone know when this hopper was in service?

Claus Schlund

David

The January 1940 ORER shows a series 8000-8099, with a full 100 cars. The inside length is 30'5" and the outside length is 32'3", both characteristic of the Gla design. The 10'2" eaves height and 1732 cf capacity strongly suggest this series is ex-Clinchfield, which dispersed its Gla-type hoppers to a number of secondhand owners around this time. The series was down to 10 cars by 1945.

David Thompson

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Dave and Claus,

The mystery deepens. My October  1958 ORER lists 231 cars in series 8000-8299. Likely the number series was reused for other cars. Maybe. These cars had a 2081 capacity and were rated for 100,000 lbs. Principal dimensions were a 33' inside length, 10' 4" inside width; 34' overall length; 10' 5" height to top of sides; 11' 7" extreme height which could indicate a vertical brake staff or a heap shield.  Does this match dimensions you have?

At that time the Montour operated 1396 cars, all hoppers. There are no interchange restrictions indicated, nor special notes on any of their cars.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/17/19 9:30 PM, David via Groups.Io wrote:
The January 1940 ORER shows a series 8000-8099, with a full 100 cars. The inside length is 30'5" and the outside length is 32'3", both characteristic of the Gla design. The 10'2" eaves height and 1732 cf capacity strongly suggest this series is ex-Clinchfield, which dispersed its Gla-type hoppers to a number of secondhand owners around this time. The series was down to 10 cars by 1945.

David Thompson

Benjamin Hom

Garth Groff wrote:
"The mystery deepens. My October  1958 ORER lists 231 cars in series 8000-8299. Likely the number series was reused for other cars. Maybe. These cars had a 2081 capacity and were rated for 100,000 lbs. Principal dimensions were a 33' inside length, 10' 4" inside width; 34' overall length; 10' 5" height to top of sides; 11' 7" extreme height which could indicate a vertical brake staff or a heap shield.  Does this match dimensions you have?"

No.  M 8000-series dimensions are as David stated, and are characteristic of PRR Class GLA.  According to Gene P. Shaeffer's "The Montour Railroad, M 8000-8099 are ex-C&O cars from C&O 40000-43749, obtained in trade for 111 Montour gondolas in 1937.  (Montour January 1945 ORER entry attached.)

The number series was reused.  M 8000-8299 were rebuilt in 1957 from M 18000-18299, AAR alternate standard offset twins built by Pullman-Standard in 1941.

Ben Hom

anthony wagner

Only 8 cars in this series remained on 1-1-50. I'd also guess that the trucks had been changed by then. Contrast that number of cars to the 1472 USRA cars in the 15000, 16000 and 17000 number series. Tony Wagner

On Monday, June 17, 2019, 7:15:49 PM CDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

The Montour twin hopper M 8014 shown closest to the camera in the image linked below has a more-than-slight resemblance to a PRR class GLa hopper - especially the end construction. Does anyone else agree? Was this previously known regarding MONTOUR hoppers?

The reweigh date might be 1947, altho it is hard to tell. Note the car is rolling around on archbar trucks - this might be a little uncommon if the reweigh date really is 1947!

Is the car stencilled DISCO on the side? If so, does someone know what that indicates?

My Dec 1930 ORER does not show this car listed - does anyone know when this hopper was in service?

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Tony, Ben, Garth, David, and List Members,

Thanks for the useful and interesting replies.

I think I figured out why the car is stencilled DISCO - see link below...

If the reweigh date really is 1947, then this is indeed a very rare bird, with only enough cars in service that one can count the entire fleet of them on the fingers of both hands!

Perhaps these GLa copies were specifically purchased for dedicated service to this one mine for some unknown reason. If the cars were being loaded with coal at the Disco mine, and were also delivering their load of coal to some online destination, then the archbar trucks might not have been an issue since the cars would never leave Montour tracks.

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:40 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Montour twin hopper M 8014

Only 8 cars in this series remained on 1-1-50. I'd also guess that the trucks had been changed by then. Contrast that number of cars to the 1472 USRA cars in the 15000, 16000 and 17000 number series. Tony Wagner

On Monday, June 17, 2019, 7:15:49 PM CDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Claus Schlund

David

According to Gene P. Shaeffer's "The Montour Railroad, M 8000-8099 are ex-C&O cars from C&O 40000-43749, obtained in trade for 111 Montour gondolas in 1937.
For the sake of posterity and search strings, the reference should be to CC&O (Carolina Clinchfield and Ohio), not C&O. The 111 gondolas don't seem to have made it onto the Clinchfield roster.

David Thompson

rwitt_2000

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 08:33 AM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
Perhaps these GLa copies were specifically purchased for dedicated service to this one mine for some unknown reason. If the cars were being loaded with coal at the Disco mine, and were also delivering their load of coal to some online destination, then the archbar trucks might not have been an issue since the cars would never leave Montour tracks.
Another thought ... the caption states that DISCO was a preparation plant so it potentially received coal from other mines for washing and grading. This would be a natural need for an online fleet of hoppers.

Bob Witt

prr6380

For this discussion it should be known that "Disco" was a processed product made by Consolidated Coal Co from coal.  It was not an individual mine, but was made in a processing plant.  As far as the Montour Railroad went, they had two groups of hoppers in their fleet.  One set were cars which never left their property and hauled "green" coal from the mines to the coal cleaning plant and a second group of cars used in interchange service.  The first group was liable to include almost anything since they were used in captive industrial service.  If you are interested in finding more about Disco, search "Disco coal" in Google.

Walt Stafa