Poultry Car

Douglas Harding

A friend recently found this photo if a 1928 Rock Island employee magazine. It shows a combination poultry refrigerator car. Not many of these were built, photos are quite rare. They were used for shipping live poultry, as well as eggs and dress poultry.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Lester Breuer

A wonderful find and reference.  Thank You for sharing.
Lester Breuer

Ken Vandevoort <apo09324@...>

Makes you wonder if they had an attendant on board to collect any eggs laid in route and move them to the other side of the car.

Ken Vandevoort

Douglas Harding

Ken every poultry car had an attendant on board. Accommodations were found in the enclosed center section which contain a bed and stove. Attendants were responsible for feeding and caring for the birds. They collected eggs and disposed of dead birds. Usually the attendant was allowed to sell the eggs and pocket the money on a full poultry car. I don’t know if this changed with the combo cars. My understanding is the reefer end was for eggs that were loaded at a produce shipper along with dressed birds. I don’t think the attendant dressed any birds.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Makes you wonder if they had an attendant on board to collect any eggs laid in route and move them to the other side of the car.

Ken Vandevoort

Live poultry had an attendant to feed and water the birds.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Ken Vandevoort via Groups.Io" <apo09324@...>
Date: Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 4:02 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Makes you wonder if they had an attendant on board to collect any eggs laid in route and move them to the other side of the car.

Ken Vandevoort

Bob Webber

The Haskell & Barker & Standard Steel Poultry Cars (don't think they were just for chickens - also turkeys and other fowl critters) - had an interior "state room" (what they called it) for a some poor sap (although, considering the time, pay was likely not bad) to ride amongst the chickens, no need to ride in his coupe.  Three were some egg handling equipment - don't think it was like a Looney Tunes variant with the eggs rolling down inclined troughs  Water tank was in the roof in the state room, and there were "aisles" between the cages.

At 04:02 PM 6/23/2019, Ken Vandevoort via Groups.Io wrote:

Makes you wonder if they had an attendant on board to collect any eggs laid in route and move them to the other side of the car.

Ken Vandevoort

Bob Webber

Ken Vandevoort <apo09324@...>

That would make an interesting model in any scale.

Ken Vandevoort

Edward

I see the car is also stenciled "SAMPLE" above the door.
Could it be a one-off experimental unit, to test the idea of shipping eggs along with live poultry?
It may have stemmed from a myriad of small, rural farms producing both in some areas.
Ed Bommer

Normally, the attendant’s name was put in that location. I assumed the attendant’s last names was “Sample”.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Edward <edb8391@...>
Date: Monday, June 24, 2019 at 7:43 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

I see the car is also stenciled "SAMPLE" above the door.
Could it be a one-off experimental unit, to test the idea of shipping eggs along with live poultry?
It may have stemmed from a myriad of small, rural farms producing both in some areas.
Ed Bommer

Douglas Harding

No this is not a one of a kind car. Some of the following comments come from Kristen Drummler’s presentation last fall at Chicagoland.

There were 2800 poultry cars in the late 20s. Combination cars were created in 1928 according to a US patent issued to Johnson. They were an attempt to compete with the ever-increasing truck traffic. The live poultry end could carry 2,500 birds, while the refrigerator end offered up to 730 cubic feet of space for dressed poultry, eggs, butter, and other perishable goods.

The 1939 ORER shows the North American Car had the following poultry cars. These were Live Poultry Transit Cars and Palace Poultry Cars which had been acquired by North American Car in 1926 for Palace Poultry Car and 1930 for Live Poultry Transit.

LPTX 399-3599 Poultry

LPTX 4001-4016 Combination Live Poultry Refrigerator

LPTX 4050-4078 Combination Live Poultry Refrigerator

LPTX 4117-4131 Combination Live Poultry Refrigerator

PPKX 3000-3999 Poultry

PPKX 5003-5609 Poultry

Sample would be the name of the car. Kristen states cars were given individual names. Some were named for places, some for fowl, and others named for individuals who had made an impact on the company.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org