Poultry Car

Douglas Harding

A friend recently found this photo if a 1928 Rock Island employee magazine. It shows a combination poultry refrigerator car. Not many of these were built, photos are quite rare. They were used for shipping live poultry, as well as eggs and dress poultry.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Lester Breuer

A wonderful find and reference.  Thank You for sharing.
Lester Breuer

Ken Vandevoort <apo09324@...>

Makes you wonder if they had an attendant on board to collect any eggs laid in route and move them to the other side of the car.

Ken Vandevoort

Douglas Harding

Ken every poultry car had an attendant on board. Accommodations were found in the enclosed center section which contain a bed and stove. Attendants were responsible for feeding and caring for the birds. They collected eggs and disposed of dead birds. Usually the attendant was allowed to sell the eggs and pocket the money on a full poultry car. I don’t know if this changed with the combo cars. My understanding is the reefer end was for eggs that were loaded at a produce shipper along with dressed birds. I don’t think the attendant dressed any birds.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ken Vandevoort via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2019 4:02 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Poultry Car

Makes you wonder if they had an attendant on board to collect any eggs laid in route and move them to the other side of the car.

Ken Vandevoort

Live poultry had an attendant to feed and water the birds.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Ken Vandevoort via Groups.Io" <apo09324@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 4:02 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Ken Vandevoort

Bob Webber

The Haskell & Barker & Standard Steel Poultry Cars (don't think they were just for chickens - also turkeys and other fowl critters) - had an interior "state room" (what they called it) for a some poor sap (although, considering the time, pay was likely not bad) to ride amongst the chickens, no need to ride in his coupe.  Three were some egg handling equipment - don't think it was like a Looney Tunes variant with the eggs rolling down inclined troughs  Water tank was in the roof in the state room, and there were "aisles" between the cages.

At 04:02 PM 6/23/2019, Ken Vandevoort via Groups.Io wrote:

Ken Vandevoort

Bob Webber

That would make an interesting model in any scale.

Ken Vandevoort

Edward

I see the car is also stenciled "SAMPLE" above the door.
Could it be a one-off experimental unit, to test the idea of shipping eggs along with live poultry?
It may have stemmed from a myriad of small, rural farms producing both in some areas.
Ed Bommer

Normally, the attendant’s name was put in that location. I assumed the attendant’s last names was “Sample”.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Edward <edb8391@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Monday, June 24, 2019 at 7:43 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Could it be a one-off experimental unit, to test the idea of shipping eggs along with live poultry?
It may have stemmed from a myriad of small, rural farms producing both in some areas.
Ed Bommer

Douglas Harding

No this is not a one of a kind car. Some of the following comments come from Kristen Drummler’s presentation last fall at Chicagoland.

There were 2800 poultry cars in the late 20s. Combination cars were created in 1928 according to a US patent issued to Johnson. They were an attempt to compete with the ever-increasing truck traffic. The live poultry end could carry 2,500 birds, while the refrigerator end offered up to 730 cubic feet of space for dressed poultry, eggs, butter, and other perishable goods.

The 1939 ORER shows the North American Car had the following poultry cars. These were Live Poultry Transit Cars and Palace Poultry Cars which had been acquired by North American Car in 1926 for Palace Poultry Car and 1930 for Live Poultry Transit.

LPTX 399-3599 Poultry

LPTX 4001-4016 Combination Live Poultry Refrigerator

LPTX 4050-4078 Combination Live Poultry Refrigerator

LPTX 4117-4131 Combination Live Poultry Refrigerator

PPKX 3000-3999 Poultry

PPKX 5003-5609 Poultry

Sample would be the name of the car. Kristen states cars were given individual names. Some were named for places, some for fowl, and others named for individuals who had made an impact on the company.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Edward
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 7:43 AM

Ed Bommer

Lester Breuer

Ken wrote, “That would make an interesting model in any scale.”

Models have been available including the Ambroid wood model, kit 10.  I do not know the year it was introduced.  I have attached a photo of the kit  I built with decals I made that is currently running in a couple of ops session on my railroad.  I did not include the interior cages as not in the kit.    A search of the internet will find models that have scratch built interior cages.

Lester Breuer

Lester Breuer

Ed Bommer wrote, “I see the car is also stenciled “SAMPLE” above the door.”  Kristin Drummler in her presentation at Chicagoland “Shipping Live Poultry and the Live Poultry Car” stated, “Cars were given individual names. Some were named for places, some for fowl, and others named for individuals who had made an impact on the company. (i.e.: San Francisco, Magpie, and Mudd)”.  
‘My research on the car name has produced names of birds as Magpie, places as parks, and individuals.  The names on the cars were not those of attendants riding in the cars caring for the poultry heading for markets.
Lester Breuer

Douglas Harding

Here is what I have for Poultry car names, as taken from photos. Not all photos have readable text, and not all cars had names.

Poultry Car Names

LPTC      121         San Francisco

LPTC      257         Hamburg

LPTC      426         Columbus

LPTC      467

LPTC      475         Crow

LPTC      500         Magpie

LPTC      507         Chanticleer

LPTC      518         Parks

LPTC      666         Mudd

LPTC      677         Springfield

LPTC      682         Leghorns

LPTC      683         Goyert & Vogel

LPTC      691         Harrison

LPTC      732         Plover

LPTC      779         sign over name Barred Rocks

LPTC      883         no name

LPTC      922         Polly

LPTC      1023       Geeser

LPTC      1176       ?

LPTC      1181       Woodrow

LPTC      1241       Harris

LPTC      1260       Blue Bird

LPTC      1445       Prospect

LPTC      1509       Hollis

LPTC      1550       Traveler

LPTC      1566       Long

LPTC      1591       no name

LPTC      1845       Palmer

LPTC      2229       Kernan

LPTC      2501       Livesay

LPTC      4001       Sample

LPTC      4002       Speedy

LPTC      ?238       Legion

LPTC                      Tango

LPTC                      Clay

LPTC                      EGG

PPKX     683         Berkner Bros

PPKX     2184       Governor

PPKX     5065       Meierfeld

PPKX     5131       Stentz

PPKX     5195       Parks

PPKX     5299       Lloyd

PPKX     5366

PPKX     5500       Keller

PPKX     5559       Ramsey

PPKX     5568                       car at St Louis

PPKX     6834       Cluck

NHX       6000       BARR

PWPX    100                         Pacific Wholesale Poultry

PWPX    200                         Pacific Wholesale Poultry

PTCX created by North American in 1944

PTCX      329         Tull

PTCX      333         Stanislau

PTCX      366         Jaques

PTCX      395         name not readable

PTCX      401         no name

?              203                         Trye and Co

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 8:38 AM

No this is not a one of a kind car. Some of the following comments come from Kristen Drummler’s presentation last fall at Chicagoland.

There were 2800 poultry cars in the late 20s. Combination cars were created in 1928 according to a US patent issued to Johnson. They were an attempt to compete with the ever-increasing truck traffic. The live poultry end could carry 2,500 birds, while the refrigerator end offered up to 730 cubic feet of space for dressed poultry, eggs, butter, and other perishable goods.

The 1939 ORER shows the North American Car had the following poultry cars. These were Live Poultry Transit Cars and Palace Poultry Cars which had been acquired by North American Car in 1926 for Palace Poultry Car and 1930 for Live Poultry Transit.

LPTX 399-3599 Poultry

LPTX 4001-4016 Combination Live Poultry Refrigerator

LPTX 4050-4078 Combination Live Poultry Refrigerator

LPTX 4117-4131 Combination Live Poultry Refrigerator

PPKX 3000-3999 Poultry

PPKX 5003-5609 Poultry

Sample would be the name of the car. Kristen states cars were given individual names. Some were named for places, some for fowl, and others named for individuals who had made an impact on the company.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Edward
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 7:43 AM

Ed Bommer

Douglas Harding

As Les pointed out, many years ago Ambroid had a wood HO model of a poultry car, the Livesay. They also offered a model of a combo car, the Speedy. This are wood craftsman kits from the 50s, and the detail are such for that era.

Mainline Models offered a poultry car kit, again a wood kit from the same time period. It has even less detail.

Overland Models imported a HO brass Palace Poultry car in 1984(?) that periodically pops on eBay and sells for $350 plus, over $400 if painted. There is one currently asking $600.

Bachmann has a Tri-Level car Humane Livestock car, based on a prototype that was built from an old poultry car.

Lionel also has two poultry cars.

Drawings were in included in articles in MR Oct 47 and July 61.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ken Vandevoort via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2019 11:30 PM

Ken Vandevoort

Steve SANDIFER

Talk more about the Bachmann car. Some friends gave me one as a joke but then I found the prototype in the Train Shed Cyclopedia No 3 from the 1931 Car Builders’ Cyclopedia. The picture and description is of the Humane Live Stock Car HLSX 1, Triple deck car for sheep, lambs, and small live stock. Provision for Feeding and Watering, Caretaker’s room at end. North American Car Corp. Builder: Standard Steel Car. The photo and description also appears in the Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 17 from the 1943 Car Builder’s Cyclopedia. Did these cars ever operate? Was there a HLSX 2. 

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 4:53 PM

As Les pointed out, many years ago Ambroid had a wood HO model of a poultry car, the Livesay. They also offered a model of a combo car, the Speedy. This are wood craftsman kits from the 50s, and the detail are such for that era.

Mainline Models offered a poultry car kit, again a wood kit from the same time period. It has even less detail.

Overland Models imported a HO brass Palace Poultry car in 1984(?) that periodically pops on eBay and sells for $350 plus, over $400 if painted. There is one currently asking $600.

Bachmann has a Tri-Level car Humane Livestock car, based on a prototype that was built from an old poultry car.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Ken Vandevoort

Where were most of these cars used and in what type of trains?  I have a number of Ambroid kits, but I missed this car.  I don't laugh at the Lionel car anymore for having an attendant "sweep" the car out.

Ken Vandevoort

Douglas Harding

Steve from Kristen’s presentation: “1932 also saw the conversion of existing live poultry cars into dual purpose stock and poultry cars that allowed for railroads to make adjustments to the cars to meet their specific livestock needs. The cars were given the reporting marks H.L.S.X.” She included these two photos of HLSX 1 and HLSX 2. You would have to check an ORER to see if there were more.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of James SANDIFER
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 7:03 PM

Talk more about the Bachmann car. Some friends gave me one as a joke but then I found the prototype in the Train Shed Cyclopedia No 3 from the 1931 Car Builders’ Cyclopedia. The picture and description is of the Humane Live Stock Car HLSX 1, Triple deck car for sheep, lambs, and small live stock. Provision for Feeding and Watering, Caretaker’s room at end. North American Car Corp. Builder: Standard Steel Car. The photo and description also appears in the Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 17 from the 1943 Car Builder’s Cyclopedia. Did these cars ever operate? Was there a HLSX 2. 

J. Stephen Sandifer

Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 4:53 PM

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Ken Vandevoort

Douglas Harding

Ken these cars were all over the country. I have MSTL documents about them being loaded on the M&StL, ie Oskaloosa & Morning Sun. I also have seen references of cars being loaded in Texas, California, Tennessee, Virginia, W Virginia. Though it appears most poultry cars ran in the east. The main markets for live poultry were Jewish population centers of New York, Philadelphia and other large cities on the east coast. One reference says NYC received 250 poultry cars each week in the late 20’s early 30’s. Each car contained 4000 birds. Jewish housewives insisted on live birds. Christians were content with dressed birds. So while loaded almost anywhere poultry was raised, it appears the cars were unloaded in large cities.

As a “high priority” commodity, poultry cars were handled on the head end of fast freights.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 7:34 PM

Where were most of these cars used and in what type of trains?  I have a number of Ambroid kits, but I missed this car.  I don't laugh at the Lionel car anymore for having an attendant "sweep" the car out.

Ken Vandevoort

There was a  that crossed Broadway off No.2 Track on the NYC Main Line between Harlem Road and Union Road in Cheektowaga NY.  It serviced a poultry company that received poultry cars.  It was known as the “Chicken Ranch” even well into the Conrail era.  An attendant rode those cars to keep the stove going.  Must have been fun.  An attendant also rode the cars that carried bananas.  The guy who rode the banana cars to Buffalo from New York City was known as “The Banana Man”, not to be confused with the vaudevillian who used the same name.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tony Thompson

Don’t know about NYC but on the SP the banana guy rode in the caboose.
Tony Thompson 

On Jun 25, 2019, at 7:17 PM, Hugh Guillaume via Groups.Io <mguill1224@...> wrote:

There was a  that crossed Broadway off No.2 Track on the NYC Main Line between Harlem Road and Union Road in Cheektowaga NY.  It serviced a poultry company that received poultry cars.  It was known as the “Chicken Ranch” even well into the Conrail era.  An attendant rode those cars to keep the stove going.  Must have been fun.  An attendant also rode the cars that carried bananas.  The guy who rode the banana cars to Buffalo from New York City was known as “The Banana Man”, not to be confused with the vaudevillian who used the same name.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10