Wartime reefers on Cajon

John Barry

Ah, overexposure of the one clean car while the rest of the image is right.  Film and eyes playing tricks on my mind.  Thanks for confirming the orange tone that "looked" yellow to me.  

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Monday, July 1, 2019, 3:51:36 PM EDT, Dave Nelson <Lake_Muskoka@...> wrote:

I pulled the image into my art software and sampled that reefer.  The pixels are all a lighter version of orange.  When I adjust the tone by darkening it by 15% the result is ~PFE orange (see attached image).

Dave Nelson

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Barry
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 10:31 AM
To: STMFC; Cajon Pass LIST
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Wartime reefers on Cajon

That said, I'm surprised by how "yellow" the 2nd PFE car appears, I would have expected a more orange hue.  Perhaps it faded through exposure and washings

Dave Nelson

I pulled the image into my art software and sampled that reefer.  The pixels are all a lighter version of orange.  When I adjust the tone by darkening it by 15% the result is ~PFE orange (see attached image).

Dave Nelson

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Barry
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 10:31 AM
To: STMFC; Cajon Pass LIST

That said, I'm surprised by how "yellow" the 2nd PFE car appears, I would have expected a more orange hue.  Perhaps it faded through exposure and washings

Bruce Smith

John,

Film response is not linear across all wavelengths. As a consequence, color balance may look good but individual colors may still be off. In addition, the Shorpy photo has undergone significant editing, so, the freshly washed car may or may not be accurately depicted ;)

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith            

Auburn, AL

"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield."

On Jul 1, 2019, at 10:37 AM, John Barry <northbaylines@...> wrote:

Spen,

It's a Jack Delano photo from his 1943 trip for OWI on the Santa Fe.  I'm not saying the freshly washed PFE car wasn't orange, just that to my eye, it was less so than I would have expected.  

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

John Barry

Spen,

It's a Jack Delano photo from his 1943 trip for OWI on the Santa Fe.  I'm not saying the freshly washed PFE car wasn't orange, just that to my eye, it was less so than I would have expected.  

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

On Sunday, June 30, 2019, 10:43:33 PM EDT, Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...> wrote:

On 6/30/2019 5:54 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
John Barry wrote:

In both versions, the color balance seems "right" to me based on the shed and station sign.  That said, I'm surprised by how "yellow" the 2nd PFE car appears, I would have expected a more orange hue.  Perhaps it faded through exposure and washings. 

I don't know that I agree, John, it reads as light orange to me. But the dirt on the other reefers reminds us that most of our reefer fleets are too clean -- yes, I'm channeling Richard Hendrickson here . . .

If that photo is from the early 20s (and I haven't checked to see when the cab forward could have been available), then perhaps that reefer was in the original color scheme.

Spen Kellogg

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

On 6/30/2019 5:54 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
John Barry wrote:

In both versions, the color balance seems "right" to me based on the shed and station sign.  That said, I'm surprised by how "yellow" the 2nd PFE car appears, I would have expected a more orange hue.  Perhaps it faded through exposure and washings. 

I don't know that I agree, John, it reads as light orange to me. But the dirt on the other reefers reminds us that most of our reefer fleets are too clean -- yes, I'm channeling Richard Hendrickson here . . .

If that photo is from the early 20s (and I haven't checked to see when the cab forward could have been available), then perhaps that reefer was in the original color scheme.

Spen Kellogg

John Barry

Tony,

I do agree that we need a LOT more weathering! At least in the war era. I really liked the contrast on the ART reefer where the brakies have rubbed off the grime behind the grab irons. The first PFE looks like it could have been dipped in a wash of India ink.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 6/30/19, Tony Thompson <tony@signaturepress.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Wartime reefers on Cajon
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Date: Sunday, June 30, 2019, 7:54 PM

John Barry wrote:
In both versions, the
color balance seems "right" to me based on the
shed and station sign.  That said, I'm surprised by how
"yellow" the 2nd PFE car appears, I would have
expected a more orange hue.  Perhaps it faded through
exposure and
washings. 
     I don't know that I
agree, John, it reads as light orange to me. But the dirt on
the other reefers reminds us that most of our reefer fleets
are too clean -- yes, I'm channeling Richard Hendrickson
here . . .

Tony
Thompsontony@signaturepress.com

Tom Madden

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 06:38 PM, rwitt_2000 wrote:
Steve,

I cut and pasted the URL to a new browser window and it worked fine whereas clicking on the hyperlink did not.
Correct. The <.jpg> at the end of the link isn't included in the clickable part.

Tom madden

rwitt_2000

Steve,

I cut and pasted the URL to a new browser window and it worked fine whereas clicking on the hyperlink did not.

Bob Witt

mopacfirst

I too get a 404 error.  And Shorpy directly is often freezing, so I haven't gotten to that image directly, but I've been close.  That could be my internet connection, so I might try tomorrow.

Ron Merrick

Worked fine for me. 

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 30, 2019, at 7:12 PM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

Hi John,

The Shorpy image link isn't working for me.  Do you have it correctly?

Thanks,
Steve Hile

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jun 30, 2019 12:30 PM
To: STMFC , Cajon Pass LIST

In one of the few instances where I would point you at Shorpy rather than the original at the Library of Congress is a retouched version of Jack Delano's color photo of a UP Challenger at Alray with a string of reefers, hatches open for ventilation.  https://www.shorpy.com/files/images/1a34754u2.jpg

The original scan at LOC has a crack/tear that runs diagonally across most of the photo https://cdn.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34700/1a34754v.jpg.  You can see where it has been repaired in the Shorpy with a slight distortion of the corner adjacent to the NP Monad on the second car.  

In both versions, the color balance seems "right" to me based on the shed and station sign.  That said, I'm surprised by how "yellow" the 2nd PFE car appears, I would have expected a more orange hue.  Perhaps it faded through exposure and washings.  It must be on it's first trip after a pass through the wash line as it has no weathering.  Contrast the ART behind it with the heavy coat of grime and wear around the grabs.  Also of note in the 1943 image, is that both of the visible PFE's have the UP Overland Herald, even though the "plain" color Herald became the standard in 42.  Further evidence that the clean car was recently washed and not repainted.  The other interesting observation is that only 40% of the visible cars are PFE in what looks like a GFX block originating with the UP in SoCal:  PFE, NP, PFE, ART, BREX.  It looks as if the order "pooling" the refrigerator car fleet has been fully implemented here.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

Steve and Barb Hile

Hi John,

The Shorpy image link isn't working for me.  Do you have it correctly?

Thanks,
Steve Hile

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jun 30, 2019 12:30 PM
To: STMFC , Cajon Pass LIST

In one of the few instances where I would point you at Shorpy rather than the original at the Library of Congress is a retouched version of Jack Delano's color photo of a UP Challenger at Alray with a string of reefers, hatches open for ventilation.  https://www.shorpy.com/files/images/1a34754u2.jpg

The original scan at LOC has a crack/tear that runs diagonally across most of the photo https://cdn.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34700/1a34754v.jpg.  You can see where it has been repaired in the Shorpy with a slight distortion of the corner adjacent to the NP Monad on the second car.  

In both versions, the color balance seems "right" to me based on the shed and station sign.  That said, I'm surprised by how "yellow" the 2nd PFE car appears, I would have expected a more orange hue.  Perhaps it faded through exposure and washings.  It must be on it's first trip after a pass through the wash line as it has no weathering.  Contrast the ART behind it with the heavy coat of grime and wear around the grabs.  Also of note in the 1943 image, is that both of the visible PFE's have the UP Overland Herald, even though the "plain" color Herald became the standard in 42.  Further evidence that the clean car was recently washed and not repainted.  The other interesting observation is that only 40% of the visible cars are PFE in what looks like a GFX block originating with the UP in SoCal:  PFE, NP, PFE, ART, BREX.  It looks as if the order "pooling" the refrigerator car fleet has been fully implemented here.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

Tony Thompson

John Barry wrote:

Tony Thompson

John Barry

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736