Topics

Santa Fe Reefer Icing Folio

rwitt_2000

Santa Fe Icing operations.

https://paulv99.zenfolio.com/p423164220

Not sure if this was posted earlier, but I couldn't find it in the archives.

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor

NO WAY did the Santa Fe run 62 hour produce trains from Bakersfield to Chicago,
as the caption claims.

I recall a TRAINS magazine article in the 1950's that followed a potato train from
the San Joaquin valley to Chicago - it took over 100 hours, perhaps 120 hours. I read
the article 50 years ago, but I remember being struck by how SLOWLY the "expedited"
train ran - But to be sure, it ran faster than other freight traffic of that era.

Tim O'Connor

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*