Photo: Metal Shield On PFE Reefer

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Metal Shield On PFE Reefer

Looks like this is one of the metal shields that was screwed or bolted on to the reefer car side:

https://www.facebook.com/Radio.WW2/photos/a.2031299693782683/2031307443781908/?type=3&theater

The hood over the tender's rear light probably makes this a World War II era photo.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

R-40-2 or R-40-4... model in HO with the Tichy car.  I'm working on etching the shield to recreate these cars.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Looks like this is one of the metal shields that was screwed or bolted on to the reefer car side:

https://www.facebook.com/Radio.WW2/photos/a.2031299693782683/2031307443781908/?type=3&theater

www.facebook.com
WW2 RADIO added a new photo.

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 7/1/2019 4:46 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
 I'm working on etching the shield to recreate these cars.

    I used .005 styrene with decals on a couple of cars.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

steve_wintner

I used some.002 brass shim for similar sheet metal Central Vermont shields. Per F&C instructions. Worked well, cut cleanly with an Xacto, stayed flat. Maybe .003. something like that.

Tim O'Connor

Amazing, I've never seen a photo of one so late. Rare by the 1940's I think.

On 7/1/2019 6:02 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Photo: Metal Shield On PFE Reefer

Looks like this is one of the metal shields that was screwed or bolted on to the reefer car side:

https://www.facebook.com/Radio.WW2/photos/a.2031299693782683/2031307443781908/?type=3&theater

The hood over the tender's rear light probably makes this a World War II era photo.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Won't it have to be incredibly thin? Almost like a foil thickness. But rigid too.

On 7/1/2019 7:46 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

R-40-2 or R-40-4... model in HO with the Tichy car.  I'm working on etching the shield to recreate these cars.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Looks like this is one of the metal shields that was screwed or bolted on to the reefer car side:

https://www.facebook.com/Radio.WW2/photos/a.2031299693782683/2031307443781908/?type=3&theater

WW2 RADIO added a new photo.

The hood over the tender's rear light probably makes this a World War II era photo.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

That sounds good. And then apply Tichy decals, which simulate the thickness of
the enamel coating. ;-)

Tim

On 7/1/2019 9:08 PM, steve_wintner via Groups.Io wrote:
I used some.002 brass shim for similar sheet metal Central Vermont shields. Per F&C instructions. Worked well, cut cleanly with an Xacto, stayed flat. Maybe .003. something like that.
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Bill Welch

. . .and I am working on a pattern for the wood sheathed roof.

Bill Welch

Bruce Smith

0.005" brass sheet. Etching is being considered as you can get the exact edge needed. Cutting it is too difficult for my big hands and weakening eyes 😉

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Looks like this is one of the metal shields that was screwed or bolted on to the reefer car side:

https://www.facebook.com/Radio.WW2/photos/a.2031299693782683/2031307443781908/?type=3&theater

WW2 RADIO added a new photo.

The hood over the tender's rear light probably makes this a World War II era photo.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bruce Smith

Removal started in 1937 according to the "bible". So by 1942, these were definitely getting rare, but obviously not extinct. I plan, in modeling 1944, to have one car so equipped of a reasonable PFE fleet (20 or so cars at least)

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 09:29 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
That sounds good. And then apply Tichy decals, which simulate the
thickness of
the enamel coating. ;-)

Tim
Or simply apply the Tichy decals. Since they refuse to snuggle they will look like metal.

Bill Welch

On 7/1/2019 9:08 PM, steve_wintner via Groups.Io wrote:
I used some.002 brass shim for similar sheet metal Central Vermont
shields. Per F&C instructions. Worked well, cut cleanly with an Xacto,
stayed flat. Maybe .003. something like that.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Dave Parker

I like Bill's approach.  When I needed to back-date a Red Caboose R30-12 to the UP "SYSTEM" medallion, part of my prep was to fill in the V-grooves of the siding with UV-cure resin.  Then the replacement decal (not Tichy, but a snuggler) laid up pretty flat.  I even touched up a bit with the resin over the decal.  Looked good enough that I did the resin overlay on the SP medallion on the other side.

I played around with trying to make a metal medallion, but it was too fiddly, and even 0.005" brass is almost 1/2-inch scale.  Decal film is about right for sheet metal that was probably what -- 1/16th or so?

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

rwitt_2000

Could some event like WWII have delayed the pace of their removal?

Bob Witt

Tony Thompson

Bob Witt wrote:

Could some event like WWII have delayed the pace of their removal?

    The PFE Car Dept. person I interviewed said  it was done pretty rapidly because it was perceived as a safety issue. Remember, almost every empty PFE westward car moved through a PFE shop before reloading, making it practical to do something like this quickly.

Tony Thompson

Bruce Smith

I base my one car on Thompson et al 😉 page 114, R-40-2 70067 at Roseville in March 1944 with the full realization that the car might be at Roseville, getting the placards removed.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Could some event like WWII have delayed the pace of their removal?

    The PFE Car Dept. person I interviewed said  it was done pretty rapidly because it was perceived as a safety issue. Remember, almost every empty PFE westward car moved through a PFE shop before reloading, making it practical to do something like this quickly.

Tony Thompson

In addition, there was a need for scrap steel during WW2.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:10 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Bob Witt wrote:

Could some event like WWII have delayed the pace of their removal?

    The PFE Car Dept. person I interviewed said  it was done pretty rapidly because it was perceived as a safety issue. Remember, almost every empty PFE westward car moved through a PFE shop before reloading, making it practical to do something like this quickly.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

I base my one car on Thompson et al 😉 page 114, R-40-2 70067 at Roseville in March 1944 with the full realization that the car might be at Roseville, getting the placards removed.

   Of course, I didn't say they were NON-EXISTENT in your year. They were, of course, not placards but what PFE called medallions.

Tony

steve_wintner

True, it probably was 1/16 or something. But sometimes things need a little exaggeration to "look right", especially under a coat of paint and weathering. A little.

I've tried using thin brass, thin styrene, and paper stiffened with CA to represent varies bit n bob's that were likely 1/4 or less in real life. I feel .010 styrene is a bit much.

Other modellers get very excited about the boards on a boxcar being represented by grooves, or real woods grain being out of scale (and they do have a point, sometimes).

I'm happy with how that thin brass turned out in that case - I didn't like the idea at first but gave it a try. Your mileage may vary of course.

Ross Dando

I have one that was found about 20 years ago as a shingle. We had a large PFE yard in Nampa. There was a guy who must have worked for the railroad or bought them as scrap. There was an entire barn roof made from PFE and SP heralds. Wish I could have gotten one of each.

Ross Dando

Meridian, Idaho