Topics

B&O M55 A and B boxcars

Steve and Barb Hile

I am looking for a photo or two of these cars, built in 1941, 900 with original Duryea underframes and 100 with improved Duryea underframes.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Happy Independence Day!!

Steve Hile

rwitt_2000

Steve,

Bob's Photo has some photos and there are construction photos at the Pullman Museum site. The link are in the attached word document.

Regards,

Bob Witt

rwitt_2000

This maybe a better link as the earlier one is almost 10 years old.

Bob Witt

william darnaby

HI Steve,

The 1950 Car Builders has plans for this car in the UF section not the boxcar section if I remember correctly.

I will see if I have a photo copy here at the lake.

Bill Darnaby

On Thursday, July 4, 2019, 10:25:57 AM CDT, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

I am looking for a photo or two of these cars, built in 1941, 900 with original Duryea underframes and 100 with improved Duryea underframes.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Happy Independence Day!!

Steve Hile

Steve and Barb Hile

Thanks so much, Bob.  I ran into the drawings at the Pullman Library yesterday and they looked quite interesting.  Has there ever been an HO model of one of these?  I think they could be an interesting resin project.

Thanks again,
Steve

Bob's Photo has some photos and there are construction photos at the Pullman Museum site. The link are in the attached word document.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Eric Hansmann

Quite a few B&O modelers have wanted an accurate M-55 for many years. There were a few paint and lettering schemes. The Sunshine Models kits were the only HO versions I’m aware of.

https://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun81.pdf

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Thanks so much, Bob.  I ran into the drawings at the Pullman Library yesterday and they looked quite interesting.  Has there ever been an HO model of one of these?  I think they could be an interesting resin project.

Thanks again,

Steve

Bob's Photo has some photos and there are construction photos at the Pullman Museum site. The link are in the attached word document.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Scott

Here is a link to Teds blog that had some information and a couple of pictures of an M-55a.

http://prototopics.blogspot.com/2019/01/wordy-wednesday-baltimore-ohio-1937-aar.html?m=1

I have a Sunshine M-55 kit I partially built.  The roof doesnt even come close width wise to fit.  Probably a full 1/8 inch to narrow.  I understand I can fill in the gap with styrene but then it doesnt look anything like the car.  So it went up on the shelf of shame and been there ever since.  I will revisit it someday though.  It has the cool sentinel decals.

Scott McDonald

Tony Thompson

Scott McDonald wrote:

I have a Sunshine M-55 kit I partially built.  The roof doesnt even come close width wise to fit.  Probably a full 1/8 inch to narrow.  I understand I can fill in the gap with styrene but then it doesnt look anything like the car.  So it went up on the shelf of shame and been there ever since.  I will revisit it someday though.  It has the cool sentinel decals.

     Why not split the roof, put the 1/8-inch there, and re-assemble? It would be under the running board and hard to see, if not invisible.

Tony Thompson

steve_wintner

For the M55c, that looks like a lot like a  Murphy Panel roof to me. Perhaps a plastic roof could be substituted ?

As for the M55a - I think I have seen a drawing for the M55a roof - Dennis Storzek posted it on a group because the Soo had some similar roofs. Maybe this one, maybe the Soo group.

Steve

steve_wintner

https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/album?id=43505

The photos are of a Soo car, which did not have the lower end panel, but the drawing does have the lower ends. I think it's a match for the M55a.

william darnaby

The 49-50 Car Builders has the M55A plans on page 302 that illustrate the unique roof contour as well as the late Duryea UF.

Bill Darnaby

On Friday, July 5, 2019, 03:05:43 PM CDT, steve_wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner@...> wrote:

For the M55c, that looks like a lot like a  Murphy Panel roof to me. Perhaps a plastic roof could be substituted ?

As for the M55a - I think I have seen a drawing for the M55a roof - Dennis Storzek posted it on a group because the Soo had some similar roofs. Maybe this one, maybe the Soo group.

Steve

william darnaby

Are you sure the roof is too narrow and not the ends to wide?  I have seen both in resin kits.  Compare against a stock AAR boxcar or plans before doing anything drastic.

Bill Darnaby

On Friday, July 5, 2019, 02:15:23 PM CDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Scott McDonald wrote:

I have a Sunshine M-55 kit I partially built.  The roof doesnt even come close width wise to fit.  Probably a full 1/8 inch to narrow.  I understand I can fill in the gap with styrene but then it doesnt look anything like the car.  So it went up on the shelf of shame and been there ever since.  I will revisit it someday though.  It has the cool sentinel decals.

     Why not split the roof, put the 1/8-inch there, and re-assemble? It would be under the running board and hard to see, if not invisible.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

I have the M-55H kit. The problem with the kit is not the roof.
The end casting for the car is slightly too wide - less than 1/8"

A razor saw blade kerf and a bit of cleanup and the ends can be fixed.
You can hide fine seams with Future (clear acrylic).

Tim O'Connor

===============================

On 7/5/2019 3:14 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Scott McDonald wrote:

I have a Sunshine M-55 kit I partially built.  The roof doesnt even come close width wise to fit.  Probably a full 1/8 inch to narrow.  I understand I can fill in the gap with styrene but then it doesnt look anything like the car.  So it went up on the shelf of shame and been there ever since.  I will revisit it someday though.  It has the cool sentinel decals.

     Why not split the roof, put the 1/8-inch there, and re-assemble? It would be under the running board and hard to see, if not invisible.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts

william darnaby

I built all of the Sunshine M55 kits and I do remember a gap between the edge of the roof and the sides...in other words the roof did not overlap the top edge of the sides.  This was not uncommon with Sunshine kits and the way I dealt with it was to attach a .030 or .040 strip of styrene along the inside top edge of the sides to give the roof something to sit on.  I also remember having to add styrene to the side edges of the floor on occasion.  Such is the resin world....

Bill Darnaby

Scott McDonald wrote:

I have a Sunshine M-55 kit I partially built.  The roof doesnt even come close width wise to fit.  Probably a full 1/8 inch to narrow.  I understand I can fill in the gap with styrene but then it doesnt look anything like the car.  So it went up on the shelf of shame and been there ever since.  I will revisit it someday though.  It has the cool sentinel decals.

     Why not split the roof, put the 1/8-inch there, and re-assemble? It would be under the running board and hard to see, if not invisible.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

Bob,

Thanks again.  Actually, I found this document to work fine, although one negative is flipped over.  There are several photos showing that the side edge of the roof panels sits well inside the plane of the car side.

Steve Hile