Topics

Photo: Santa Fe Gondola

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Santa Fe Gondola

Fairly good interior shot of unidentified drop-end gondola from the Kansas State Historical Society taken in 1950:

https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/50620

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jake Schaible

Bob - from my incomplete collection of loose ATSF 211/4 folio sheets, her "end knees" and pressed steel sides looks to be from the GA-68 to 70 class (as well as perhaps later) first issued in 1949 by Pressed Steel Car Company.  Date would seem to fit as well.  My guess is that it is the longer GA-70 (truck center of 56'10 3/4") vs the shorter GA-68/69 (43'6 3/4")  But again, this is only a guess as I have the drwgs with ends as modified in 1977.

Happy hunting...

Jack Mullen

The end view appears to show the narrow width characteristic of 65' mill gons, such as the Ga-70.

Jack Mullen

charles slater

Assuming that is a Santa Fe gondola, it would be either a Ga-91 class car numbered 168400-168549 built in 1955 by Santa Fe or a Ga-103 class car numbered 168150-168399 also built be Santa Fe in 1958. It would be nice if there was a car number for the car. Those are the only two classes of mill gondolas with that type of ends.
Charlie Slater

Sent from Outlook