From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of George Courtney via Groups.Io <gsc3@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:36 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Watermelons

On another list a modelers was discussing modeling the ACL watermelon car.  He says he was from Texas and mentioned a town that he says was the watermelon shipping capital during the 1940's.  He then said most the photos he had showed the watermelons being shipped in stockcars.  Hmm.  A stockcar amongst the reefers at a Produce dealer?

George Courtney

Douglas Harding

Yes, watermelons in stockcars was very common. Typically laid in a bed of straw for cushioning. Attached are a few photos.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

On another list a modelers was discussing modeling the ACL watermelon car.  He says he was from Texas and mentioned a town that he says was the watermelon shipping capital during the 1940's.  He then said most the photos he had showed the watermelons being shipped in stockcars.  Hmm.  A stockcar amongst the reefers at a Produce dealer?

George Courtney

Douglas Harding

Here are a couple of photos showing watermelons inside stockcars.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org