Watermelons

George Courtney

On another list a modelers was discussing modeling the ACL watermelon car.  He says he was from Texas and mentioned a town that he says was the watermelon shipping capital during the 1940's.  He then said most the photos he had showed the watermelons being shipped in stockcars.  Hmm.  A stockcar amongst the reefers at a Produce dealer?

George Courtney

Bruce Smith

Not unheard of. Campbell's Soup received New Jersey tomatoes in stock cars as well.

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of George Courtney via Groups.Io <gsc3@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:36 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Watermelons

On another list a modelers was discussing modeling the ACL watermelon car.  He says he was from Texas and mentioned a town that he says was the watermelon shipping capital during the 1940's.  He then said most the photos he had showed the watermelons being shipped in stockcars.  Hmm.  A stockcar amongst the reefers at a Produce dealer?

George Courtney

Douglas Harding

Yes, watermelons in stockcars was very common. Typically laid in a bed of straw for cushioning. Attached are a few photos.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Courtney via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:37 PM

George Courtney

Douglas Harding

Here are a couple of photos showing watermelons inside stockcars.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 7:49 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Watermelons

Yes, watermelons in stockcars was very common. Typically laid in a bed of straw for cushioning. Attached are a few photos.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Courtney via Groups.Io

George Courtney

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi Doug and List Members,

Thanks Doug for the great images, they seem to span quite a number of decades between them all!

One image (attached) has reporting marks that seem to terminate in M&S, but I bet there are more initials on the left end the reporting mark that the photographer cut off - making the reporting marks possibly have the format xxM&S or xxxM&S.

I am wondering if it is Fort Dodge Des Moines & Southern, which would make the reporting marks FtDDM&S... anyone have any thoughts with regard to whose stock car we are looking at?

Thanks again

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 8:49 AM

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

George Courtney

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

Likely St. Louis Iron Mountain & Southern which Became part of the Missouri Pacific in 1917.

Dennis Storzek

Benjamin Hom

Claus Schlund asked:
"One image has reporting marks that seem to terminate in M&S, but I bet there are more initials on the left end the reporting mark that the photographer cut off - making the reporting marks possibly have the format xxM&S or xxxM&S.

I am wondering if it is Fort Dodge Des Moines & Southern, which would make the reporting marks FtDDM&S... anyone have any thoughts with regard to whose stock car we are looking at?"

Judging from the caption referencing Missouri watermelons and the vintage of the car, it's more likely that the car belongs to the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern, later merged into the Missouri Pacific.

Ben Hom

william darnaby

I have photos of watermelons being loaded into interurban stock cars on the Indiana Railroad (electric) south of Indianapolis.

Bill Darnaby

On Friday, July 12, 2019, 08:26:48 AM CDT, Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

Here are a couple of photos showing watermelons inside stockcars.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 7:49 AM

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

George Courtney

Clark Propst

Interesting photos Doug! I recall a friend telling me a story from his childhood about finding a watermelon left in a ventilated car by mistake. He said it was covered with straw...They must have used straw for packing?
CW Propst

Douglas Harding

Claus I would agree with Dennis & Ben. The stockcar is most likely a St. Louis Iron Mountain & Southern car. One of the other photos I posted came from this site http://www.scottcountygenealogy.org/search/label/Blodgett%20Missouri Blodgett is in Scott Co. MO, and was home to the Iron Mountain Railroad ran through there, hauling watermelons.

The Fort Dodge Des Moines & Southern came into existence in 1906, but in the 1913 ORER shows no stockcars for the FDDM&S. It was an electric line across central Iowa.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Rich Gibson

Given the Missouri caption, my first guess would be St. Louis, Iron Mtn & Southern.

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO

dale florence <dwwesley@...>

When I went to High School in the early 60's, I had to cross Gibson Freight Yard on the west end. About once or twice a year I would pass a ventilated boxcar full of watermelons. This car had no roof, and the watermelons were stack with no melons at the door, but were stack higher as you moved to the ends. Straw was between the layers. Also, these cars were always behind the engine. 
:
Dale Florence

Steve SANDIFER

Straw for packing, no more than 3 melons deep.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Clark Propst
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 11:41 AM

Interesting photos Doug! I recall a friend telling me a story from his childhood about finding a watermelon left in a ventilated car by mistake. He said it was covered with straw...They must have used straw for packing?
CW Propst