From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 11:04 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Elgin Boxcar Green/Orange paint when started? Decals Available???

Tichy makes them. Tho they are a bit thick...
Joe Binish

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:01 AM Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@gmail.com <mailto:ActorMichaelGross@gmail.com> > wrote:

While we're on this subject, does anyone still make a decal of the iconic orange Chicago map and lettering on the EJ&E?
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Tim O'Connor

Here are clearer pictures showing the EJ&E 10-0 postwar box car in its original lettering,
which I think was WHITE.

On 7/12/2019 11:24 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:
I did one of those early early Sunshine kits of the rebuilt DS cars that included orange decals in the map scheme for the overall green car with black ends/roof.

The later cars with wide doorways, billboard schemes, abbreviated top rib ends and 10' interior heights (attached) are a tough project, and no decals I was ever able to find.

What a great resin kit those would make!

Elden Gatwood

Attachments:
EJE 61096 1963.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/165402/0
eje 61216 10ftIH circa1953.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/165402/1
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

The EJ&E applied at least four other paint schemes that included green & orange colors,
as attached here. Note the physical differences between some of the cars - they are not
all exactly alike.

Tim O'Connor

On 7/12/2019 11:24 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:
Guys;

I did one of those early early Sunshine kits of the rebuilt DS cars that included orange decals in the map scheme for the overall green car with black ends/roof.

The later cars with wide doorways, billboard schemes, abbreviated top rib ends and 10' interior heights (attached) are a tough project, and no decals I was ever able to find.

What a great resin kit those would make!

Elden Gatwood
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Jeff Sankus

All
Tim is correct that the scheme Michael requested is now offered by Tichy.
I'm sure Hubert Mask could be talked into offering the Around Chicago set as well.
Hopefully Hubert will be at St.Louis. I'll speak to him about tis set as I'd like to model these also.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:27 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Here are clearer pictures showing the EJ&E 10-0 postwar box car in its
original lettering,
which I think was WHITE.

On 7/12/2019 11:24 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:
> I did one of those early early Sunshine kits of the rebuilt DS cars that included orange decals in the map scheme for the overall green car with black ends/roof.
>
> The later cars with wide doorways, billboard schemes, abbreviated top rib ends and 10' interior heights (attached) are a tough project, and no decals I was ever able to find.
>
> What a great resin kit those would make!
>
> Elden Gatwood
>
> Attachments:
> EJE 61096 1963.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/165402/0
> eje 61216 10ftIH circa1953.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/165402/1

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

oops. wrong attachment.

On 7/12/2019 3:27 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

[...]

Hubert makes excellent decals, but the EJ&E date stencil should read 64 not 54.

In other words it's a 1960's paint scheme - which is fine with me! :-)

Tim

On 7/12/2019 3:32 PM, Jeff Sankus wrote:
All
Tim is correct that the scheme Michael requested is now offered by Tichy.
I'm sure Hubert Mask could be talked into offering the Around Chicago set as well.
Hopefully Hubert will be at St.Louis. I'll speak to him about tis set as I'd like to model these also.

Sterling, Massachusetts

steve_wintner

Guys, I own a Sunshine minikit, listed as MK13 on this website : http://sunshinekits.com/minikits.html

Isn't that one of these cars/schemes? Granted, 10-6 not 10 foot. And out of production, but I got mine on eBay.

Steve

Jeff Sankus

Steve
The scheme is close but the logo is bit different. I think Sunshine did offer a kit with the logo that has been spoken about here.

Jeff

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:03 PM steve_wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Guys, I own a Sunshine minikit, listed as MK13 on this website : http://sunshinekits.com/minikits.html

Isn't that one of these cars/schemes? Granted, 10-6 not 10 foot. And out of production, but I got mine on eBay.

Steve

Jeff Sankus

On the subject of Tichy decals.....Has anyone spoken to them about the issues?
I had a Tichy kit that had several poorly molded parts. I wrote and asked for replacements...No questions asked, Tichy sent replacements within  two days.
I would think they would want to make good on all of their products?
Jeff

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:09 PM Jeff Sankus via Groups.Io <uvrail=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Steve
The scheme is close but the logo is bit different. I think Sunshine did offer a kit with the logo that has been spoken about here.

Jeff

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:03 PM steve_wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Guys, I own a Sunshine minikit, listed as MK13 on this website : http://sunshinekits.com/minikits.html

Isn't that one of these cars/schemes? Granted, 10-6 not 10 foot. And out of production, but I got mine on eBay.

Steve

Tim O'Connor

That is a prewar design, 10 panel box car. Another variation!

Tim O'

On 7/12/2019 4:03 PM, steve_wintner via Groups.Io wrote:
Guys, I own a Sunshine minikit, listed as MK13 on this website : http://sunshinekits.com/minikits.html

Isn't that one of these cars/schemes? Granted, 10-6 not 10 foot. And out of production, but I got mine on eBay.

Steve
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Michael Gross

I appreciate the EJ&E information, and may give the Tichy decals a try. That orange map scheme is something I saw frequently in my boyhood days in Chicago

Thanks and cheers!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

hubert mask

I also have EJ&E Decals.  Orange and Green 40' box cars.  Joliet Built.

Not sure if it is the right time frame.

Hubert Mask

They are arranged alphabetically.

On Jul 13, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@...> wrote:

CA
_._,_._,_

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Thanks for sharing those, Tim!

I have long hoped for the EJ&E story on their freight car fleet. Anyone know if it exists?

The steel roads are of endless fascination in terms of their individual responses to hauling those products.

Elden Gatwood

[...]

Bill;

Mine was not the original question, but I was secondarily wondering if anyone had done the later Billboard schemes, and Hubert Mask has.

Wow, you did a LOT of work for that car! Kudos!

Elden Gatwood