Topics

MODEL OR PROTOTYPE

WILLIAM PARDIE

I recently came across this image.  I felt that it was a prototype photo until I noticed the chalk marks above the right truck.  This seems to be one that is in the Clover House chalk mark set.  Possibly this wss the inpspiration for this set. Which is it?

Bill Pardie

Damn fine model, IMO.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jul 13, 2019, at 6:27 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

<image1.jpeg>
I recently came across this image.  I felt that it was a prototype photo until I noticed the chalk marks above the right truck.  This seems to be one that is in the Clover House chalk mark set.  Possibly this wss the inpspiration for this set. Which is it?

Bill Pardie

brianleppert@att.net

The trucks on the real cars had Barber Lateral Motion Devices, seen as a horizontal rectangular shape between the top of the springs and bottom of the bolster.  This detail is missing in the photo.  I would vote model.  And a damn fine model.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Schleigh Mike

Are there not latching features missing from the left hand side of the door?  And, something about the rails looks too uniform and without the first sign of any joint.  MODEL

Mike Schleigh  Grove City, Penna.

On Saturday, July 13, 2019, 7:28:08 PM EDT, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

I recently came across this image.  I felt that it was a prototype photo until I noticed the chalk marks above the right truck.  This seems to be one that is in the Clover House chalk mark set.  Possibly this wss the inpspiration for this set. Which is it?

Bill Pardie

Dave Parker

If it's a model, I don't think it can be in HO.  There isn't a T-section Bettendorf truck in HO that looks quite like that.  Also, the ties and trackwork don't look like HO either

PROTOTYPE gets my vote.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

gary laakso

Look at the bare branches towering over the two story building on the left and curved over and towering over the boxcar.  The tie plates are uniformly off of the ties, the wood pile beyond the underframe are uniform in color with a shadow pattern not appearing elsewhere.

Very likely a very fine model in O scale proto.

Gary Laakso
Northeast of Mike Brock

On Jul 13, 2019, at 7:13 PM, Dave Parker via Groups.Io <spottab@...> wrote:

If it's a model, I don't think it can be in HO.  There isn't a T-section Bettendorf truck in HO that looks quite like that.  Also, the ties and trackwork don't look like HO either

PROTOTYPE gets my vote.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

MDelvec952

I think it's a great modeling job. That photo required great examination, but a couple of things give it away. First is the track. Under a 40-foot boxcar on 39-foot rails would be at least a couple of joints. That switch in the foreground would have heel-block joints and a series of braces against the rail, and the rail itself has a base that's much thicker than what would have been used in that era. (Part of my day job is to perform track inspections).

That chalk mark is known by its artist as Colossus of Roads. It's drawn by a clever but anonymous trainman in the south who has been making this drawing on railcars since 1971 (20 years after the 1951 scale mark). He retired in 2003 but still marks cars.  I see a lot of them in our yards.

Still, impressive modeling job.

Mike Del Vecchio

I recently came across this image.  I felt that it was a prototype photo until I noticed the chalk marks above the right truck.  This seems to be one that is in the Clover House chalk mark set.  Possibly this wss the inpspiration for this set. Which is it?

Bill Pardie

Tony Thompson

Odd if it’s prototype, no coupler.
Tony Thompson

On Jul 13, 2019, at 6:02 PM, Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io <mike_schleigh@...> wrote:

Are there not latching features missing from the left hand side of the door?  And, something about the rails looks too uniform and without the first sign of any joint.  MODEL

Mike Schleigh  Grove City, Penna.

On Saturday, July 13, 2019, 7:28:08 PM EDT, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

<image1.jpeg>
I recently came across this image.  I felt that it was a prototype photo until I noticed the chalk marks above the right truck.  This seems to be one that is in the Clover House chalk mark set.  Possibly this wss the inpspiration for this set. Which is it?

Bill Pardie
<image1.jpeg>

Brad Andonian

I thinks it’s a pacific limited o scale model..   perhaps done by Lee Turner an exquisite custom painter from MI.

On Saturday, July 13, 2019, 6:02 PM, Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io <mike_schleigh@...> wrote:

Are there not latching features missing from the left hand side of the door?  And, something about the rails looks too uniform and without the first sign of any joint.  MODEL

Mike Schleigh  Grove City, Penna.

On Saturday, July 13, 2019, 7:28:08 PM EDT, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

I recently came across this image.  I felt that it was a prototype photo until I noticed the chalk marks above the right truck.  This seems to be one that is in the Clover House chalk mark set.  Possibly this wss the inpspiration for this set. Which is it?

Bill Pardie

Gene Deimling

The photos look like a large scale (2.5” gauge) model built by Warren Weiss fromSoCal.
It is a B-50-13. I have attached another picture shown on his backyard railroad.

Gene Deimling

Paul Doggett

The one thing that gives it away is the rail joiner on the first track, amazing modelling.
Paul Doggett. England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 14 Jul 2019, at 06:30, Gene Deimling <proto48@gmail.com> wrote:

The photos look like a large scale (2.5” gauge) model built by Warren Weiss fromSoCal.
It is a B-50-13. I have attached another picture shown on his backyard railroad.

Gene Deimling

<image1.jpeg>

Tim O'Connor

It appears to be one of Warren Weiss's outdoor railroad models - he scratchbuilds in a
large scale and has a beautiful outdoor layout in California. He often posts on Facebook.

Attachments: image1.jpeg

==================

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

good grief - wrong photo

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

At some point, it got one. I think the camera angle didn’t see it.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Date: Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 10:30 PM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] MODEL OR PROTOTYPE

Odd if it’s prototype, no coupler.

Tony Thompson

On Jul 13, 2019, at 6:02 PM, Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io <mike_schleigh@...> wrote:

Are there not latching features missing from the left hand side of the door?  And, something about the rails looks too uniform and without the first sign of any joint.  MODEL

Mike Schleigh  Grove City, Penna.

On Saturday, July 13, 2019, 7:28:08 PM EDT, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

<image1.jpeg>

I recently came across this image.  I felt that it was a prototype photo until I noticed the chalk marks above the right truck.  This seems to be one that is in the Clover House chalk mark set.  Possibly this wss the inpspiration for this set. Which is it?

Bill Pardie

<image1.jpeg>

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 06:02 PM, Schleigh Mike wrote:
Are there not latching features missing from the left hand side of the door?
Surprising the builder would miss that... although I suspect he'e investigating having custom investment castings made.

Dennis Storzek

Gene Deimling

Dennis
Warren  Weiss recently invested in a Form Labs Form2 SLA printer and is making castings for his scale.  I suspect he will go back and upgrade some of his older cars.
He built a Brill gas electric from brass in his scale. Many rivets were impressed in the metal.

Gene Deimling