Topics

Slim pickings for RR magazine

reubeft

Just return from my local Books A Million.  Per conservation with a sales person they would and did rearrange their selections.  Apparently no longer carrying RMC & NGSLG & European RR mag's.
Do have Kalmbach .  Time to subscribe.  Remember when I could fine Prototype Modeler & Model Railroading at the local newsstand
Reuben @ Poplarville, Ms

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Reuben,

Our local Barnes & Noble still carries RMC, NG&SL GAZETTE, MR, HORNBY MAGAZINE and MODEL RAIL. Given that the two British pubs seem to be a month or so out of date, I suspect we get the unsold leavings, or shipping and distribution to B&N is slow. I usually buy MODEL RAIL for the scenery and small layout articles, and because I dabble in O-scale British narrow gauge. The rest I rarely buy unless there is an article of special interest. I'm tired of giant "beauty contest" layouts, which make up the content of most pubs now.

I was a charter subscriber to the GAZETTE (having just taken out a subscription to FINELINES when it started). I'm going to let my subscription lapse this year, as it has been a long time since there was anything useful to me in their pages except for the occasional history article. Instead I have joined the British 7mm Narrow Gauge Association, and like their pub very much.

Your Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/15/19 9:45 PM, reubeft via Groups.Io wrote:
Just return from my local Books A Million.  Per conservation with a sales person they would and did rearrange their selections.  Apparently no longer carrying RMC & NGSLG & European RR mag's.
Do have Kalmbach .  Time to subscribe.  Remember when I could fine Prototype Modeler & Model Railroading at the local newsstand
Reuben @ Poplarville, Ms

Brian Termunde

Frankly, I get far more out of RMC than I do MR, especially since for any half decent content, you have to pay extra for with the MR Video Minus  ) ;  [

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Richard McQuade

My daughter works at a bookstore in a suburban mall here in Toronto. They still get RMC and MR plus a number of Brit model magazines as well as US and Brit prototype mags. They have a significant number of customers who pick up these magazines rather than subscribe although subscribing is cheaper. The Brit ones are always about a month late - likely due to shipping at the lowest costs. Probably buying at the shop gives the guys an excuse to go out (retirees) especially if they're taking their wives shopping, it gives them something to read while that is happening.

Roger Huber <trainpainter@...>

My local B&N only has RMC sporadically or maybe they only get a couple and they disappear quickly. I'm not impressed with the "new RMC" anyway and don't like the larger pages as I keep any useful stuff in a binder and throw the rest away. I have never seen NG&SLG at any book store. I was a charter subscriber way back around 1977(?) and it was pretty interesting back then even if they never truly lived up to the "Short Lline" part of their name. Over the years it has gotten too much into the larger scales for me so I dropped it. Fine modeling but just not my area of interest. MR is just a subsidiary or promo for Walthers line of backordered products and now their lines of toy train products.

Trains is mostly a UP publication and R&R isn't sure what it wants to be....X2200South, Trains, Railfan or what. PTJ has nothing much but light rail which I have less than zero interest in reading about.

The 2 or 3 British mags at B&N are far more interesting than Trains. R&R, MR and RMC to me. Some fine modeling and they seem on top of their tourist trains and all.

Just my 2¢.
oldline1

rdgbuff56

Model Railroaders to me is a recurring thing for beginners.  No more plans,  kitbashes,  etc.   RMC RMC RMC

Francis A. Pehowic,  Jr.
Sunbury,  Pa.

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019, 9:53:29 PM UTC, Brian Termunde via Groups.Io <GCRDS@...> wrote:

Frankly, I get far more out of RMC than I do MR, especially since for any half decent content, you have to pay extra for with the MR Video Minus  ) ;  [

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Chuck Soule

There is a magazine store in North Vancouver called McNews that carries a good selection of American and British model and prototype RR magazines.  I always stop in when I am in BC (6 or 7 times a year).  Their British magazines are always 1-2 months behind due to shipping.  I am a member of a British Outline modeling club up there, and several members go to McNews to buy their magazines, so the market is still reasonably strong because the location has a significant British ex-pat community.

Once I come back into the states, there are very few model train stores left in Puget Sound, and it is difficult to find more than MR.  Barnes and Noble carries MR, RMC, and sometimes Railway Modeller and Model Rail.  Model Rail is much better for having practical how-to-do-it articles.

Chuck Soule

George Eichelberger

Although they are not strictly model railroading magazines, many Railroad historical groups produce high quality publications that are extremely useful to modelers. I am most familiar with the Southern, L&N, PRR, B&O and ACL/SAL groups’ work but others I do not see every issue; UP, NYC, N&W are superb sources of prototype information, several have excellent modeling sections.

With the growth of “prototype modeling” and RPM meets, the historical group publications may be the best source of prototype data today. It is true they do not serve “beginner” modelers but they are very useful for people that are interested in railroad history, the business of railroading and the technical and operational details of motive power and rolling stock.

Ike

James Musgrove

Ike and all,

Please don't forget the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac RR Historical Society (www.RFandP.org) that helps to keep alive the history of the RF&P and the memories of the people who worked for them. The RF&P ran between Richmond, Virginia, and Washington D.C. and lasted from 1834 to the mid 1990's, when it joined CSX. This railroad is a great one to model since it was a little over 100 miles of double track and had yards at both ends, (Acca Yard in Richmond and Potomac Yard in Alexandria and Arlington, Virginia.

George Eichelberger

Jim:

Sorry, I did not intend to exclude ANY of the historical groups in my comment. We are fortunate there are too many for anyone to be a member of them all. Many are sold in hobby shops that carry White River publications. Years ago, I suggested to Bob Hundman (Mainline Modeler) that he might consider running a “prototype” article from one of the groups in issues of MM but he was not short of material. (Maybe WRP could publish a compendium a couple of times a year?)

Although I am not personally familiar with the RF&P group I expect the folks organizing the 2020 SRHA convention in Richmond have already contacted the RF&P, C&O and ACL/SAL groups to join us. In addition to having probably 40,000 Southern and CofG rolling stock drawings (many are STMFC from about 1900), the SRHA archives at TVRM include more than 17,000 Southern Railway Presidents’ files. The early history of Washington Union Station, the Washington Southern, RF&P and the WB&P are well covered. If time permits, we will see some interesting presentations on Richmond…at Richmond.

Ike

PS To close the loop to a STMFC subject, note that steam and transition era subject are the central focus of many historical groups. In addition to TIES magazine, the Southern Railway Historical Assoc. group on Groups.io includes discussions on a variety of subjects……everyone is welcome to join, SRHA member or not.

Tony Thompson

George Eichelberger wrote:

Sorry, I did not intend to exclude ANY of the historical groups in my comment. We are fortunate there are too many for anyone to be a member of them all. Many are sold in hobby shops that carry White River publications . . . (Maybe WRP could publish a compendium a couple of times a year?)

    There is a listing that WRP runs, but it costs $200 to be included. The SPH&TS declined to pay.

Tony Thompson