Topics

GM&O 40 ft Automobile CAr

Scott

Thanks George and Dennis,

I can see a lot of uses for that brass working technique for underframe brake hangers, stands and mounts etc .

That will be a really nice car when finished George.  When you have the Mini Kit of it done I will take two!  😁

Scott McDonald

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 12:00 PM, Paul Doggett wrote:
Try eBay for 0.005 shim brass.
Scott,
If you are in the states, try Mc Master Carr Co. for items like shim brass; thicknesses by every thousandth from .001" to .010", then .012 and .015:

https://www.mcmaster.com/brass-shims

Be aware that the first items shown on the list are big rolls, scroll down for the 8"x12" sheets.

Dennis Storzek

gtws00

Scott and all, Thanks for the kind comments. I cut my shim brass much like styrene. I use a sharp xacto blade and using a straight edge. score a straight line a couple of times. I then place this in a PE (photo etch bender) at the fold line and bend the sheet back and forth carefully using a bending bar (a 6 inch or 12 inch steel rule from an old Starett Combination Square). It then usually snaps of on the 2 or 3rd bend. To fold, I use the same method, but follow up using my UUM-USA Micro Saw to deepen the groove about 1/2 the thickness of the brass I am bending. Next I insert in my PE Bender (From UUM-USA) and use the Starrett steel rule to bend against.
The PE bender I use is more like a simple vice and are very inexpensive from UUM-USA. For folding longer pieces up to 150 mm (close to 6 inch) can be seen here http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=67&osCsid=4ee4c1a824b807ecd36fd1d139aa1c7f
I also use two shorter 60 mm versions of this http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=58
and this newer version with a bending brake on it http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=59&osCsid=4ee4c1a824b807ecd36fd1d139aa1c7f
George

Paul Doggett

Scott

Try eBay for 0.005 shim brass.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 17 Jul 2019, at 18:37, Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:

That's amazing George!  How did you cut and bend the brass?  Where do did you find .005 brass?

Scott McDonald

Scott

That's amazing George!  How did you cut and bend the brass?  Where do did you find .005 brass?

Scott McDonald

O Fenton Wells

Excellent George, Make sure you explain the ladders, those look kinda intimidating to me.
Fenton

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 8:26 AM gtws00 via Groups.Io <gtws00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A newer project in the works is a GM&O 40 ft Automobile car from the 35200-35249 series. The base kit for this build started with a Speedwitch kit consisting of a Branchline 7 ft door body and new resin parts and decals.
After obtaining a General Arrangement and Brake diagram from the St Louis National Museum of Transportation, I decided to scratch build a new floor matching the drawings. I also bent some new lower boor tracks from .005 brass. Attached are a couple photos of it progress. Long way to go yet on this project. Prototype photo credits go to Ed Hawkins
George Toman

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Kemal Mumcu

I enjoy following your projects George. Keep us updated.

Colin Meikle

Paul Doggett

Beautiful work Geogre.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 17 Jul 2019, at 13:24, gtws00 via Groups.Io <gtws00@...> wrote:

A newer project in the works is a GM&O 40 ft Automobile car from the 35200-35249 series. The base kit for this build started with a Speedwitch kit consisting of a Branchline 7 ft door body and new resin parts and decals.
After obtaining a General Arrangement and Brake diagram from the St Louis National Museum of Transportation, I decided to scratch build a new floor matching the drawings. I also bent some new lower boor tracks from .005 brass. Attached are a couple photos of it progress. Long way to go yet on this project. Prototype photo credits go to Ed Hawkins
George Toman

Attachments:

gtws00