Topics

Funaro 1932 CP Boxcar

Scott

For our Canadian Pacific experts I am building a Funaro 1932 Boxcar and gathering up parts for it.  The instructions just say Bettendorf for trucks.  First is this accurate?  Did they have any lateral motion devices or anything?  I was planning on using Scalecoat CP Freight Car Red will this be close enough to start.  I model 1950 so it will be weathered pretty good by then.

Thanks

Scott McDonald

Benjamin Hom

Scott McDonald asked:
"For our Canadian Pacific experts I am building a Funaro 1932 Boxcar and gathering up parts for it.  The instructions just say Bettendorf for trucks.  First is this accurate?  Did they have any lateral motion devices or anything?"

You just proved one of my points in the SL-SF/KCS/CIL thread.  Comprehensive 1932 ARA steel boxcar summary here:

Happy Hunting!

Ben Hom

Kemal Mumcu

The CPR seemed to be experimenting with different trucks with this series of cars. Some came with National Type B, some rode on Dalman 2 level with lateral motion devices. The above are available in HO scale.

The CP was repainting their steel cars with "Spans The World" starting in 1947 and so these cars woulf be being painted as well. It would be quite possible to see a 1932 car recently repainted in 1950.

Good luck.

Colin Meikle

John Riddell

Scott,

Regarding the colour, these cars had an orangey-brown hue.  Many published colour photos of these cars show this.   It would be best to study a colour photo and mix some paint to match.   There is no commercial paint that closely matches the orangey-brown shade.

These cars carried three lettering schemes: plain single line CANADIAN PACIFIC, 3 line stepped, and spans-the-world. Black Cat Publishing sells an excellent accurate set for each.

https://www.blackcatdecals.com/product-category/ho-decals/cpr/box-cars/

John Riddell

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tony Thompson

The comment below stimulates me to ask if there is a summary list anywhere of landmark dates for freight car paint schemes. A further example might be, “UP changes all lettering to yellow, 1947.”
Anyone?

The CP was repainting their steel cars with "Spans The World" starting in 1947 and so these cars woulf be being painted as well.

Scott

Thank you John and Colin,

Funaro put some Minibox decals in the kit so I was wondering what I was going to do about that.  I just now ordered some "Spans the world" decals from Black Cat so thanks for the link.  I have some National B trucks so will go that route.

I did notice how orange/brown the paint was when looking around at color photos.  I am terrible at paint matching/mixing so was hoping the scalecoat paint would ball park it.  I will give it a shot though.

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Tim O'Connor

This one appears to use Dalman 1-level trucks.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

John Riddell

Scott,

The CC&F car specs of 1929 specify this CPR car had Dalman truck frames.

John Riddell

John Riddell

Tony.

I am not aware of such a summary list of dates for freight car paint schemes. It would be a VERY long list considering the large number of railroads, car types number of lettering schemes and number of versions of evolving lettering schemes.

John Riddell

Scott

Thanks John,

I have some spare Dalmans.  I beleive they are 2 level but they will have to do.

Scott McDonald

Benjamin Hom

Tony Thompson asked:
"The comment below stimulates me to ask if there is a summary list anywhere of landmark dates for freight car paint schemes. A further example might be, 'UP changes all lettering to yellow, 1947.'  Anyone?"
> The CP was repainting their steel cars with "Spans The World" starting in 1947 and so these cars would be being painted as well.

John Nehrich took a shot at it - the results are on the pay side of the RPI website.

Ben Hom

Kemal Mumcu

Just a note that I believe we are talking about the 1932 (actually built in 1936) boxcar and not the 1929 "Minibox" boxcar.  The Dalman trucks from Tahoe look a bit different to me than the Dalman trucks on the 1932 boxcar.  Quite a few of the "Miniboxes" did come with Dalman trucks that look identical to what Tahoe offers but that is a different subject.

Out of the 700 1932 boxcars build only 50 came with the National Type B trucks.  I used to have information suggesting the number series these cars were in but I can't seem to find it right now.  I will PM you Scott if I come across that information in the next day or two.

Colin Meikle

Kemal Mumcu

I went to the CP Historical Association Website and their database is incredible with lots of diagrams and information to glean.

Anyway:  Series 225300-225349 had National "B" trucks and also Ajax brake gear.  I mentioned earlier that CP experimented with different trucks on this series of car but I was wrong; they experimented with the various manufacturers' brake gear but the 50 cars with the National Trucks came with Ajax brakes.

Colin Meikle

Scott

Hi Colin,

Yes I am talking about the 1932 10ft height boxcar not the Mini Box.

Thank you for providing information on this.  I did go poke around a bit on the CP Historical site and will certainly return for more.  I had no idea it existed until you mentioned it.  In looking for color photos I have found many interesting steam era cars of the CP thats for sure.

Thanks
Scott McDonald