Topics

5th Avenue Car Shops/Accurail CB&Q XM-30 Boxcar

David North

I have a 5th Avenue Car Shops decorated Accurail 40’ Wood Boxcar kit.

The road number is 26528.

Can anyone point me to an article on this series in any of the popular hobby magazines, please – or photos?

I particularly want to determine the style of stirrups and the design of the center sill.

The instruction suggest the underframe should be straight rather than a fishbelly.

Also want to confirm if that is correct.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Dave

Benjamin Hom

Dave North asked:
"I have a 5th Avenue Car Shops decorated Accurail 40’ Wood Boxcar kit.
The road number is 26528.
Can anyone point me to an article on this series in any of the popular hobby magazines, please – or photos?
I particularly want to determine the style of stirrups and the design of the center sill.
The instruction suggest the underframe should be straight rather than a fishbelly.
Also want to confirm if that is correct."

Here's a photo of one in work service.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1165099

Ben Hom

Todd Sullivan

David North

HI Ben,

Thanks very much for the link to the photo of the XM-30.

That answers my questions re the stirrups.

Cheers

Dave

David North

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your link to the CB&Q XM-30 photos.

Cheers

Dave

Tim O'Connor

I haven't been able to reach that web site for ages... it just sits there forever.

On 7/18/2019 2:05 PM, Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io wrote:
Dave,

More photos here: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rslist.aspx?id=CBQ&cid=2&Page=3
A great shot including the roof is here: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPicture.aspx?id=373991

Todd Sullivan
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

David North

Hi Tim,

I think I picked this kit up on n of my US trips back prior to 2006.

This website worked OK for me just now.

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/art/custom/carshops/carshops.htm

Doesn’t appear to have been updated since mid 2017.

Is that the one you were trying?

Cheers

Dave

Pete Steinmetz

Is the Accurail car accurate for the CB&Q  XM-30?  It looks like the sides near the ends of the car have different spacing than the Accurail car.  Could be the angle of the prototype photos.
I like this model a lot and am considering making one.

Pete Steinmetz

Benjamin Hom

Pete Steinmetz asked:
"Is the Accurail car accurate for the CB&Q  XM-30?  It looks like the sides near the ends of the car have different spacing than the Accurail car.  Could be the angle of the prototype photos."

No.  The roof, ends, and underframe are different as well, and the prototype car is 4 in taller than the Accurail model.  Sunshine did a more accurate version as Kit 17.16.

Ben Hom

Nelson Moyer

Accurail cars are like all off the shelf models, both kit and RTR, in that manufacturers select one prototype or a composite of multiple prototypes for the dies and paint the cars for several roads. That means all but one of the paint scheme are foobies. I consider Accurail as stand-ins to run until I build a resin kit based more closely on a specific prototype. The short answer to your question is, no, but I’m away from my resources, and I can’t tell you the specific differences now.

Nelson Moyer