Topics

Funaro 1932 CP Boxcar ( freight car paint schemes)

Bob Chaparro

Dick Harley produced this presentation on Union Pacific painting and lettering schemes covering 1940 to 1975:

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-PLN-FRT/2010-UP-Freight-PLN-Clinic/

The presentation is part of this UP Freight Car Painting & Lettering information:

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-PLN-FRT

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

eastwest40

eastwest40

Hello,

Is there a way to get this Dick Harley presentation in print or book form? If so what is the cost?

I have trouble reading from a screen and this would be a great help.

Chuck Seemann    Aurora, Colorado

Steve SANDIFER

I can’t make either of these links open. Any suggestions?

J. Stephen Sandifer

Dick Harley produced this presentation on Union Pacific painting and lettering schemes covering 1940 to 1975:

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-PLN-FRT/2010-UP-Freight-PLN-Clinic/

The presentation is part of this UP Freight Car Painting & Lettering information:

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-PLN-FRT

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jon Miller

    Someone told me that one can't get to these (and other) pages because they are https:

However I can get to other https: pages.  It appears to be random.  This is with Win10.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Bruce Smith

I had the same problem. If you click on view/reply online and go tot eh thread, they work fine from there.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Jul 19, 2019, at 4:20 PM, Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

On 7/19/2019 1:28 PM, James SANDIFER wrote:
I can’t make either of these links open. Any suggestions?

    Someone told me that one can't get to these (and other) pages because they are https:

However I can get to other https: pages.  It appears to be random.  This is with Win10.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Guys,

It appears to me to be a browser thing.  I was unable to get to either page using Google (not uncommon), but had no trouble using both MS Edge and Firefox.

As to “https://” sites, I use them all the time and even Google doesn’t seem to have a problem with them.  I have no idea what Google’s problem is with these particular pages.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

I had the same problem. If you click on view/reply online and go tot eh thread, they work fine from there.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Jul 19, 2019, at 4:20 PM, Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

On 7/19/2019 1:28 PM, James SANDIFER wrote:
I can’t make either of these links open. Any suggestions?

    Someone told me that one can't get to these (and other) pages because they are https:

However I can get to other https: pages.  It appears to be random.  This is with Win10.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Bob Chaparro

Try Chrome or Firefox. These can be used temporarily without changing your preferred browser. I have Windows 7 and now have to use other browsers for some link and videos.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

I too still use Windows 7, Bonb, and hate the thought of having to downgrade to Windows 10 given its reputation for instability.
Congress needs to smarten up and update the copyright laws so the when any software developer like Microscrew discontinues
any program the copyright will automatically end so that someone else can pick it up and continue to provide service for it. I'm damn tired of having to artificially subsidize Microsoft by purchasing a new program that simply hs more crap than I want or need and generally is not as good as the one I was using. The definition of Microsoft is "Never have so few offered so little of value and been able to steal so much money for doing so". It wold take a pretty long train of hoppers to haul off all the waste Microsoft builds into it programs and gets away with.

Just my two bits worth, Don Valentine

Tom Larsen

Jon Miller wrote about HTTPS links from Bob Chaparro:
>Someone told me that one can't get to these (and other) pages because they are https:
>However I can get to other https: pages. It appears to be random. This is with Win10.
******
Using Windows 10 and Google Chrome as my standard browser I have no problem clicking on the links. They open the destination without problems.
Copying the link and pasting it into Microsoft Edge opens the page without problems also.
It appears that your problem could be a personal setting in your browser or that you haven't updated your operating system and/or browser to a current version, thus creating some sort of conflict.

For a quick and not to technical explanation on the differences of HTTP and HTTPS take a look here:
https://love2dev.com/blog/how-https-works/

HTTPS is not a limitation to the accessability of WEB pages.
HTTPS adds a secure layer to the HTTP communication, any up-to-date browser/OS combination should open a valid page with no problem.

Clinging to your older OS system is asking for trouble, as it won't be updated when new security threats occur and not everyone you come accross on the internet plays nice these days.

Hope you get to use the links, the information is quite interesting and will bring you back to Steam Era Freight Cars, as we should be concentration on.

Kind regards

Tom Larsen
Holte, Denmark

Jon Miller

On 7/21/2019 2:33 PM, Tom Larsen wrote:
It appears that your problem could be a personal setting in your browser or that you haven't updated your operating system and/or browser to a current version, thus creating some sort of conflict.

Win10 with auto update.  IE 11 ver 11.615.17763.0 (this is auto update I think.  I can't remember the wording but suspect it's a IE problem.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Terry Link

I don't believe it's a browser/OS problem. For some reason - there is a
'dot' missing in the links

If you click on the link in the email:
https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-PLN-FRT/2010-UP-Freight-PLN-Clinic/

It is trying to take you to
https://harley-trains.smugmugcom/UP-PLN-FRT/2010-UP-Freight-PLN-Clinic/

Note the missing '.' in front of com/UP-PLN-FRT/2010-UP-Freight-PLN-Clinic/

So in your browser - simply insert the '.' in front of the
com/UP-PLN-FRT/2010-UP-Freight-PLN-Clinic/ and you should be able to view
the page.

Terry Link

I can???t make either of these links open. Any suggestions?

J. Stephen Sandifer

Dick Harley produced this presentation on Union Pacific painting and
lettering schemes covering 1940 to 1975:

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-PLN-FRT/2010-UP-Freight-PLN-Clinic/

The presentation is part of this UP Freight Car Painting & Lettering
information:

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-PLN-FRT

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dick Harley

I am not a regular reader of this (or any other) internet list.  So my apologies for the slow response.

I noticed in the past week or so a lot of viewers to my UP Freight Car painting clinic on SmugMug, and wondered what generated the interest.  Bob Webber clued me in when I talked to him at Collinsville last weekend.

Chuck Seemann asked whether that presentation was available in printed form, and I sympathize with him about reading on a computer display.
I have not printed that info, but Chuck or one of his friends could.  Any of the pages of that presentation can be downloaded in full resolution by clicking the down-arrow "Download" icon at the lower right.  You can download whichever pages are of interest and then print them yourself.

You can also buy images directly from SmugMug, if you want, by clicking the "Buy Photos" button.  I have nothing to do with that process, but I hear they do a good job.

I try to put stuff on my SmugMug site that would be useful to other folks.  The top level URL is:
You can navigate the site from there.  I have not optimized the site for mobile devices, so a full computer display will probably give you a better 'experience.'

I'll get my photos from Collinsville 2019 up there in the next day or two.

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA