Topics

1937 AAR boxcar with wrong roof 😞😞😞


Paul Doggett
 

I built this without realising it should have a Viking roof 😞😞😞

Paul Doggett. England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿


Nathan Obermeyer
 

Paul,

What year do you model? In 1963 these cars received a new side sill, roof, and doors. I've attached an as built image and a rebuilt image from 1976 after the merger with the Mopac.

Nate


Paul Doggett
 

Nathan 

I model 1950-3 

Cheers 
Paul Doggett 


On 19 Jul 2019, at 17:55, Nathan Obermeyer via Groups.Io <obermeyern@...> wrote:

Paul,

What year do you model? In 1963 these cars received a new side sill, roof, and doors. I've attached an as built image and a rebuilt image from 1976 after the merger with the Mopac.

Nate

Attachments:


Bill Keene
 

Can someone offer a recommendation for a source of decals for the C&EI 1937 AAR box car in its as-delivered paint scheme?

Thanks & cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA


On Jul 19, 2019, at 9:55 AM, Nathan Obermeyer via Groups.Io <obermeyern@...> wrote:

Paul,

What year do you model? In 1963 these cars received a new side sill, roof, and doors. I've attached an as built image and a rebuilt image from 1976 after the merger with the Mopac.

Nate <cei64103.JPG><mp117414  Springfield, Mo.  January 11, 1976.jpg>


Brian Carlson
 

Speedwitch relaunch set. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jul 19, 2019, at 3:39 PM, Bill Keene via Groups.Io <bill41@...> wrote:

Can someone offer a recommendation for a source of decals for the C&EI 1937 AAR box car in its as-delivered paint scheme?

Thanks & cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA


On Jul 19, 2019, at 9:55 AM, Nathan Obermeyer via Groups.Io <obermeyern@...> wrote:

Paul,

What year do you model? In 1963 these cars received a new side sill, roof, and doors. I've attached an as built image and a rebuilt image from 1976 after the merger with the Mopac.

Nate <cei64103.JPG><mp117414  Springfield, Mo.  January 11, 1976.jpg>


Paul Doggett
 

Speedwitch media relaunch decal set.

Paul 


On 19 Jul 2019, at 20:39, Bill Keene via Groups.Io <bill41@...> wrote:

Can someone offer a recommendation for a source of decals for the C&EI 1937 AAR box car in its as-delivered paint scheme?

Thanks & cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA


On Jul 19, 2019, at 9:55 AM, Nathan Obermeyer via Groups.Io <obermeyern@...> wrote:

Paul,

What year do you model? In 1963 these cars received a new side sill, roof, and doors. I've attached an as built image and a rebuilt image from 1976 after the merger with the Mopac.

Nate <cei64103.JPG><mp117414  Springfield, Mo.  January 11, 1976.jpg>


Tim O'Connor
 


Nate we should move this to the BBFCL. I didn't know about the C&EI rebuilds. Thanks!

Tim O'


On 7/19/2019 12:55 PM, Nathan Obermeyer via Groups.Io wrote:
Paul,

What year do you model? In 1963 these cars received a new side sill, roof, and doors. I've attached an as built image and a rebuilt image from 1976 after the merger with the Mopac.

Nate

Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Andy Carlson
 

Dan Hall's SouthWest Scale Models has this 4/6/6 Improved Youngstown door as one of his offerings.
-Andy Carlson

On Friday, July 19, 2019, 4:37:52 PM PDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:



Nate we should move this to the BBFCL. I didn't know about the C&EI rebuilds. Thanks!

Tim O'


On 7/19/2019 12:55 PM, Nathan Obermeyer via Groups.Io wrote:

Paul,

What year do you model? In 1963 these cars received a new side sill, roof, and doors. I've attached an as built image and a rebuilt image from 1976 after the merger with the Mopac.

Nate

Attachments:



_._,_._,_


steve_wintner
 

Regarding C&EI paint, there are also these : https://www.blackcatdecals.com/product/cei66359-chicago-eastern-illinois-acf-built-40-box-car-skinny-lettering/

It seems to have a slightly different font than the Speedwitch set to the right of the door. And the builders photo above shows no lettering right of the door.

And this set has two different E's left of the door.
https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=410&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=CEI

Anyone have an understanding of the variations on this scheme? Or a link or book?

Steve


Brian Carlson
 

The schemes are explained the links.

 The Black Cat set is for the postwar 12 panel car, not the 1937 AAR car. The cars are years apart so differences are not unusual. 

The speedwitch set is the original 1937 AAR as-built lettering. 

The protoctaft set is also the as built lettering and lettering for at least one other car that was repainted by the railroad. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jul 19, 2019, at 10:21 PM, steve_wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner@...> wrote:

Regarding C&EI paint, there are also these : https://www.blackcatdecals.com/product/cei66359-chicago-eastern-illinois-acf-built-40-box-car-skinny-lettering/

It seems to have a slightly different font than the Speedwitch set to the right of the door. And the builders photo above shows no lettering right of the door.

And this set has two different E's left of the door.
https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=410&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=CEI

Anyone have an understanding of the variations on this scheme? Or a link or book?

Steve


steve_wintner
 

Brian, thanks. But I did actually read the links before posting. I was looking for additional explanation, dates, etc. I assume the 1937 cars would have gotten the same scheme as the ACF cars, if repainted in that time frame. it's minor differences, but....

Steve


Brian Carlson
 

Ok.  While not definitive there have been cases where commercial builders used stencils that were not exactly the same as the railroads own. 

Or in the case of the other E a resourceful c&EI employee cut a new stencil when the original went missing.  May never know the real reason. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jul 19, 2019, at 11:00 PM, steve_wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner@...> wrote:

Brian, thanks. But I did actually read the links before posting. I was looking for additional explanation, dates, etc. I assume the 1937 cars would have gotten the same scheme as the ACF cars, if repainted in that time frame. it's minor differences, but....

Steve


Tony Thompson
 

Brian Carlson wrote:

Ok. While not definitive there have been cases where commercial builders used stencils that were not exactly the same as the railroads own.
Certainly true for SP, especially at the end of the 1930s. New cars not following the 1931 SP drawing. Seems unlikely that SP wouldn’t send same.
Tony Thompson


Tim O'Connor
 

I didn't know Black Cat did these, thanks! I saw the Speedwitch decals applied
to a model, and they look wrong to me. If these Black Cat decals match the photo,
good. The ProtoCraft lettering (no longer shown on the web site) are also more
like the photo than the Speedwitch set. IMO.

Tim O'

On 7/19/2019 10:21 PM, steve_wintner via Groups.Io wrote:
Regarding C&EI paint, there are also these : https://www.blackcatdecals.com/product/cei66359-chicago-eastern-illinois-acf-built-40-box-car-skinny-lettering/

It seems to have a slightly different font than the Speedwitch set to the right of the door. And the builders photo above shows no lettering right of the door.

And this set has two different E's left of the door.
https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=410&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=CEI

Anyone have an understanding of the variations on this scheme? Or a link or book?

Steve
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*


Tim O'Connor
 


The Speedwitch set billboard letters are "too skinny" IMO. YMMV.



On 7/19/2019 10:41 PM, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io wrote:
The schemes are explained the links.

 The Black Cat set is for the postwar 12 panel car, not the 1937 AAR car. The cars are years apart so differences are not unusual. 

The speedwitch set is the original 1937 AAR as-built lettering. 

The protoctaft set is also the as built lettering and lettering for at least one other car that was repainted by the railroad. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jul 19, 2019, at 10:21 PM, steve_wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner@...> wrote:

Regarding C&EI paint, there are also these : https://www.blackcatdecals.com/product/cei66359-chicago-eastern-illinois-acf-built-40-box-car-skinny-lettering/

It seems to have a slightly different font than the Speedwitch set to the right of the door. And the builders photo above shows no lettering right of the door.

And this set has two different E's left of the door.
https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=410&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=CEI

Anyone have an understanding of the variations on this scheme? Or a link or book?

Steve


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Tim O'Connor
 


Didn't these cars receive the Buy War Bonds billboard letters after the war broke out?

I think this car lost its original spelled out road name to the War Bonds lettering and then
that was blanked at - resulting in this by the 1950's.

Tim O'



On 7/19/2019 3:39 PM, Bill Keene via Groups.Io wrote:
Can someone offer a recommendation for a source of decals for the C&EI 1937 AAR box car in its as-delivered paint scheme?

Thanks & cheers,
Bill Keene


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


steve_wintner
 

Tim, Protocraft does have a buy war bonds set as well.
https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=417&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=CEI

That's an interesting photo. I note Yarmouth's kit of the 1949 built ACF car has no lettering to the right of the door. But this photo also has none in 1957, although a 1953 photo on Protocraft does have it, as does the photo on Black Cats site. A guess: they received lettering to the right as a repaint, perhaps the doors turned red at that time too. Somehow, some never got that lettering, some got the war bonds slogan, and the war bonds slogan was removed too. 

Brian's point about stencils varying through the years, even for ostensibly the same scheme, is valid. The E, for example.

Protocraft lists a different scheme as the 1961 scheme, for those modeling a later time.





Bruce Smith
 

And then there is the question of the color of the door on this car! 😉  We've discussed this in the past, and I'm still voting for black.


Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL




From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of steve_wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner@...>
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:39 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] 1937 AAR boxcar with wrong roof 😞😞😞
 
Tim, Protocraft does have a buy war bonds set as well.
https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=417&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=CEI
www.protocraft.com
In January of 1937, the C&EI took delivery of 500 1937 AAR box cars built by General American Transportion Corporation. Assigned road numbers were 64000-64499.



That's an interesting photo. I note Yarmouth's kit of the 1949 built ACF car has no lettering to the right of the door. But this photo also has none in 1957, although a 1953 photo on Protocraft does have it, as does the photo on Black Cats site. A guess: they received lettering to the right as a repaint, perhaps the doors turned red at that time too. Somehow, some never got that lettering, some got the war bonds slogan, and the war bonds slogan was removed too. 

Brian's point about stencils varying through the years, even for ostensibly the same scheme, is valid. The E, for example.

Protocraft lists a different scheme as the 1961 scheme, for those modeling a later time.