From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:32 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Funaro 1932 CP Boxcar

The comment below stimulates me to ask if there is a summary list anywhere of landmark dates for freight car paint schemes. A further example might be, “UP changes all lettering to yellow, 1947.”
Anyone?
The CP was repainting their steel cars with "Spans The World" starting in 1947 and so these cars woulf be being painted as well.

Tony Thompson

I didn't have in mind a COMPLETE list of EVERY change on EVERY railroad. But many of us could benefit from a timeline of MAJOR changes on the big railroads. I don't think it would have to be huge, though of course some railroads were pretty changeable.
Likely few if any of us could sit down and write it. But most of us know ONE railroad (or a few) well enough to summarize. That's the kind of thing I meant. I can offer an SP one and a few other roads I know.

Tony Thompson
tony@signaturepress.com

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

Are you only interested in western railroads? Every type of revenue producing car? . . . or also M&W and cabooses? What eras . . . . 1900-1972 say for the C&O? . . . or 1926-1962? etc.?

Al Kresse

On July 18, 2019 at 7:55 PM Tony Thompson <tony@signaturepress.com> wrote:

I didn't have in mind a COMPLETE list of EVERY change on EVERY railroad. But many of us could benefit from a timeline of MAJOR changes on the big railroads. I don't think it would have to be huge, though of course some railroads were pretty changeable.
Likely few if any of us could sit down and write it. But most of us know ONE railroad (or a few) well enough to summarize. That's the kind of thing I meant. I can offer an SP one and a few other roads I know.

Tony Thompson
tony@signaturepress.com

Eric Lombard

Hello Everyone...

Tony wrote: " I didn't have in mind a COMPLETE list of EVERY change on EVERY railroad. But many of us could benefit from a timeline of MAJOR changes on the big railroads."

I dare offer up attached spreadsheet for examination. As some of you know, I have been working on a database of box cars since the mid-eighties. The focus is documentation for every box car series built new between 1910 and 1944. Also included is every series renumbered, or rebuilt, or renumbered and rebuilt from those new series, all with service histories based on ORER car counts, railroad records, government publications, and other documentation. This extends the scope of the data into the early 1980's. Certain series suiting my eclectic tastes reach back into the 1890's. As a relational database, series are linked to published photos, plans, equipment diagrams, and citations from documents. At the moment there are (rounded) entries for 8500 series representing 576 car owners, based on 31,000 citations to 5500 documents. In addition, there are links to 13,400 instances of photos and 6600 drawings, I recite this to put the attached spreadsheet in perspective.

The timeline constructed as a side project to the above has 1700 records. The attached excerpt at 451 records is a subset related to RR specific graphics and general MCB, ARA, AAR recommendations or requirements. The entries are accessioned only when encountered in pursuit of information related to the larger goal above: i.e.no attempt has been made to research paint and heraldry in a dedicated way.

Reviewing the entries the deficits of a textural description not accompanied by drawings and photos is evident. A relational database can do that with the addition of those items. At 450 entries over 35 years my accession rate has been about 15/year. Based on that I think dedicated work by a few focused individuals could complete a very useful document in less than a year.

Comments?

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 7:26 PM al.kresse <water.kresse@...> wrote:
Are you only interested in western railroads? Every type of revenue producing car? . . . or also M&W and cabooses? What eras  . . . . 1900-1972 say for the C&O? . . . or 1926-1962?  etc.?

Al Kresse

> On July 18, 2019 at 7:55 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
>

>       I didn't have in mind a COMPLETE list of EVERY change on EVERY railroad. But many of us could benefit from a timeline of MAJOR changes on the big railroads. I don't think it would have to be huge, though of course some railroads were pretty changeable.
>        Likely few if any of us could sit down and write it. But most of us know ONE railroad (or a few) well enough to summarize. That's the kind of thing I meant. I can offer an SP one and a few other roads I know.
>
> Tony Thompson
> tony@...

Aley, Jeff A

Fantastic!  May we post a copy in the RealSTMFC FILES section?

Regards,

-Jeff

> [...]

Homewood, IL

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 7:26 PM al.kresse <water.kresse@...> wrote:

Are you only interested in western railroads? Every type of revenue producing car? . . . or also M&W and cabooses? What eras  . . . . 1900-1972 say for the C&O? . . . or 1926-1962?  etc.?

Al Kresse

> On July 18, 2019 at 7:55 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
>

>       I didn't have in mind a COMPLETE list of EVERY change on EVERY railroad. But many of us could benefit from a timeline of MAJOR changes on the big railroads. I don't think it would have to be huge, though of course some railroads were pretty changeable.
>        Likely few if any of us could sit down and write it. But most of us know ONE railroad (or a few) well enough to summarize. That's the kind of thing I meant. I can offer an SP one and a few other roads I know.

Eric Lombard

Jeff, please feel free to do so.

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 7:38 PM Aley, Jeff A <Jeff.A.Aley@...> wrote:

> [...]

Homewood, IL

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 7:26 PM al.kresse <water.kresse@...> wrote:

Are you only interested in western railroads? Every type of revenue producing car? . . . or also M&W and cabooses? What eras  . . . . 1900-1972 say for the C&O? . . . or 1926-1962?  etc.?

Al Kresse

> On July 18, 2019 at 7:55 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
>

>       I didn't have in mind a COMPLETE list of EVERY change on EVERY railroad. But many of us could benefit from a timeline of MAJOR changes on the big railroads. I don't think it would have to be huge, though of course some railroads were pretty changeable.
>        Likely few if any of us could sit down and write it. But most of us know ONE railroad (or a few) well enough to summarize. That's the kind of thing I meant. I can offer an SP one and a few other roads I know.

Charlie Vlk

Eric-

This is a nice reference.   Great for those of us that would like to know what cars are appropriate for our “cut-off date” without having to do extensive research for each of the hundreds of railroads that might be involved.

Thank you,

Charlie Vlk

_._,_._,_

Eric Lombard

Thanks for your good “review” Charlie. I appreciate your interest.

Perhaps you might like an export of the full timeline which includes 1600 entries ranging from brakes to underframes. Same caveats: data entry has been casual and it focus is on box cars. It’s yours for whatever feedback you might be motivated to offer.

I’m interested in your mention of cut-off date. I assume this means the date of your modeling and things— paint schemes, car series, appliances, etc, —that occur in the future are avoided. If I have this right there is a modestly developed aspect of the box car database that allows export of active car series by presidential election year, that is every four years 1892-1980. The bulk of the needed data entries are clumped between 1912-1960 for cars built, rebuilt, or renumbered between 1910-1944. Send me your cut-off date and I’ll see what comes up for the nearest preceding and post-ceding vote date. I’ve not tried this function before, having been focused on data entry—the function’s value increases with each datum. Whatever comes out will not be complete but will be informative at some level.
Cheers,
Eric