Atlas Freight Car Announcement

Bill Welch

This link shows a few freight car releases for the era of this group. I like undecorated and so the three 1932 variations are of interest to me plus I think I may get one of the little meat reefers: https://mycaboose.com/new-releases/atlas-ho-rolling-stock-summer-advanced-reservations?utm_source=Caboose+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e5cbde1b3e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_09_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_907397b93c-e5cbde1b3e-100264421&mc_cid=e5cbde1b3e&mc_eid=fef507ff99

Not sure why "ATHEARN" is present but I think it can be ignored

Bill Welch

Dave Parker

I am intrigued by the three variations in the 36' meat reefers, and also prefer the undecs.  Body Style 2 looks like it might be close to some Swift prototypes.  No photo yet for Body Type 1.  I am wary of the operational doors and hatches, but maybe they can be made to look OK.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Aley, Jeff A

A quick look at page 48 of the Atlas summer 2019 catalog (http://download.atlasrr.com/0619MCPDF/Summer2019MSRPOnly.pdf shows that these are new paint schemes on their existing meat reefer. 

Atlas says, “PROTOTYPE INFORMATION: The 36’ reefer is a highly detailed model of the car that was a mainstay in the meatpacking industry during the steam era. Based upon cars built by the General American Car Company for the Cudahy Packing Co. in 1925, the 36’ wood reefer is representative of the thousands of cars that transported meat, dairy, beer and food products well into the 1960’s.”

Regards,

-Jeff

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Parker via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2019 8:17 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Atlas Freight Car Announcement

I am intrigued by the three variations in the 36' meat reefers, and also prefer the undecs.  Body Style 2 looks like it might be close to some Swift prototypes.  No photo yet for Body Type 1.  I am wary of the operational doors and hatches, but maybe they can be made to look OK.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

radiodial868

Bill, are you able to determine what the variants 1,2 & 5 are referring to in terms of details for configuration?
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Benjamin Hom

RJ Dial asked:
"...are you able to determine what the variants 1,2 & 5 are referring to in terms of details for configuration?"

Atlas went through the trouble to tool different variations of the 1932 ARA steel boxcar as follows:
#1 - Long tab body, Murphy Panel Roof, 4/4 Dreadnaught Ends
#2 - Long tab body, 11 panel flat riveted roof, flat-riveted ends
#3 - Short tab body, Hutchins radial roof, 4/4 Dreadnaught ends
#4 - Short tab body, Viking corrugated roof, Buckeye ends
#5 - Long tab body, 11 panel flat riveted roof, 4/4 Dreadnaught ends
#6 - Long tab body, Viking corrugated roof, 4/4 Dreadnaught ends
#7 - Long tab body, Murphy panel roof, flat riveted end

Link to Ed hawkins' spreadsheet detailing variations here:

Ben Hom

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bill and Friends,

I see that Atlas will be offering their ARA 1932 boxcar in an undecorated in "Body Style 2" (with the flat plate ends). This is essentially correct for the Seaboard class B-6, though it does have some problems. Upgrading this car was covered by John Golden and Justin May in the SEABOARD-COAST LINE MODELER for March 2009. This car is useful for all us steam-era "Y'all Railroad" modelers. I may to try to get one, though I need another boxcar like I need a hole in my head.

I see they are offering undecorated models of styles 1, 2 and 5. Has anyone ever done an analysis of the various Atlas body styles for the 1932 ARA boxcars? I know some of the detail combinations were worthy of Train Miniature, but with a shot-gun approach at least some of these must have had a prototype or two beside the standard design. I do have a print-out of John Hile's STMFC post from 2008, but it only discusses six cars Atlas released pre-lettered: CG, CRR, I-GN, MEC, CRR and WRTCo. Since I have a couple of F&C kits, plus a Sunshine Norfolk Southern, all unbuilt, I probably won't spring for any others unless the bodies are unique.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/19/19 5:35 AM, Bill Welch wrote:
This link shows a few freight car releases for the era of this group. I like undecorated and so the three 1932 variations are of interest to me plus I think I may get one of the little meat reefers: https://mycaboose.com/new-releases/atlas-ho-rolling-stock-summer-advanced-reservations?utm_source=Caboose+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e5cbde1b3e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_09_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_907397b93c-e5cbde1b3e-100264421&mc_cid=e5cbde1b3e&mc_eid=fef507ff99

Bill Welch

Douglas Harding

The key word is “representative”. When these cars were first released members of this group chided Atlas for inaccuracies. No one knew who Atlas’s “expert” was. And photos of the supposed Cudahy prototype seemed to be non-existent. The car had 4 hinges instead of the more common 6 hinges on the doors. The underframe was something that had not been seen on a meat reefer. And of course the operating doors and hatches were carryovers from the O scale model that Atlas downsized to HO, causing the details to appear oversize and out of scale. One solution was shave off the door hinges and replace them with Grandt Line reefer hinges while gluing the door closed. In addition only one grab iron was on the left side, requiring the addition of a second grab for many p/l schemes.

I recall four versions, with or without truss rods. Each was offered with grab irons or ladders, which may be the difference between the body styles.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Aley, Jeff A
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2019 10:26 AM

A quick look at page 48 of the Atlas summer 2019 catalog (http://download.atlasrr.com/0619MCPDF/Summer2019MSRPOnly.pdfshows that these are new paint schemes on their existing meat reefer. 

Atlas says, “PROTOTYPE INFORMATION: The 36’ reefer is a highly detailed model of the car that was a mainstay in the meatpacking industry during the steam era. Based upon cars built by the General American Car Company for the Cudahy Packing Co. in 1925, the 36’ wood reefer is representative of the thousands of cars that transported meat, dairy, beer and food products well into the 1960’s.”

Regards,

-Jeff

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Parker via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2019 8:17 AM

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Bill Welch

Edited

Regarding the various 1932 offering I built several Sunshine—NC&StL freight and express; SAL freight and express ventilator, WRT; CofG; CRR; and F&C—NdeM; CGW; BAR. Then at some point I picked the undec. Atlas Erie and one with Dreadnaught ends and Murphy roof. I like the Erie example well enough I built it instead of the Sunshine kit I have because the Atlas roof and sill are better I think and built the other for I-GN. I offered the link to my ARA/AAR Steel Boxcar Modeling Clinic here and on the Styrene Modeling site where I cover these two models. I think they hold up well compared to both Sunshine and F&C that were originally done for Yankee Clipper. I did fabricate new doors for both from InterMountain and Tichy doors.

I will reserve one of the kits with the flat panel roof to harvest the roof and ends for a NC&StL re-build w/a Tichy flat car underframe and one of the C&O types to harvest the roof.

Bill Welch

Curt Fortenberry

1932 ARA Style 3 is good for C&O but not offered in this run. 

Curt Fortenberry 

Don Burn

Garth,

From a post I did when the cars first came out:

Style #1 Long Tab Body,  Murphy Panel Roof,          4/4 Dreadnaught Ends

Style #2 Long Tab Body,  11-Panel Flat Riveted Roof, Riveted Ends

Style #3 Short Tab Body, Hutchins Radial Roof,       4/4 Dreadnaught End

Style #4 Short Tab Body, Viking Corrugated Roof,     Buckeye ends

Style #5 Long Tab Body,  11-Panel Flat Rivet Roof,   4/4 Dreadnaught Ends

Style #6 Long Tab Body,  Viking Corrugated Roof,     4/4 Dreadnaught Ends

Style #7 Long Tab Body,  Murphy Panel Roof,          Flat Riveted Ends

Don Burn

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Garth Groff
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2019 1:23 PM

Bill and Friends,

I see that Atlas will be offering their ARA 1932 boxcar in an undecorated in "Body Style 2" (with the flat plate ends). This is essentially correct for the Seaboard class B-6, though it does have some problems. Upgrading this car was covered by John Golden and Justin May in the SEABOARD-COAST LINE MODELER for March 2009. This car is useful for all us steam-era "Y'all Railroad" modelers. I may to try to get one, though I need another boxcar like I need a hole in my head.

I see they are offering undecorated models of styles 1, 2 and 5. Has anyone ever done an analysis of the various Atlas body styles for the 1932 ARA boxcars? I know some of the detail combinations were worthy of Train Miniature, but with a shot-gun approach at least some of these must have had a prototype or two beside the standard design. I do have a print-out of John Hile's STMFC post from 2008, but it only discusses six cars Atlas released pre-lettered: CG, CRR, I-GN, MEC, CRR and WRTCo. Since I have a couple of F&C kits, plus a Sunshine Norfolk Southern, all unbuilt, I probably won't spring for any others unless the bodies are unique.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/19/19 5:35 AM, Bill Welch wrote:

Bill Welch