Atlas Freight Car Announcement

Bill Welch

This link shows a few freight car releases for the era of this group. I like undecorated and so the three 1932 variations are of interest to me plus I think I may get one of the little meat reefers: https://mycaboose.com/new-releases/atlas-ho-rolling-stock-summer-advanced-reservations?utm_source=Caboose+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e5cbde1b3e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_09_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_907397b93c-e5cbde1b3e-100264421&mc_cid=e5cbde1b3e&mc_eid=fef507ff99

Not sure why "ATHEARN" is present but I think it can be ignored

Bill Welch

Dave Parker

I am intrigued by the three variations in the 36' meat reefers, and also prefer the undecs.  Body Style 2 looks like it might be close to some Swift prototypes.  No photo yet for Body Type 1.  I am wary of the operational doors and hatches, but maybe they can be made to look OK.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Aley, Jeff A

A quick look at page 48 of the Atlas summer 2019 catalog (http://download.atlasrr.com/0619MCPDF/Summer2019MSRPOnly.pdf shows that these are new paint schemes on their existing meat reefer.

Atlas says, “PROTOTYPE INFORMATION: The 36’ reefer is a highly detailed model of the car that was a mainstay in the meatpacking industry during the steam era. Based upon cars built by the General American Car Company for the Cudahy Packing Co. in 1925, the 36’ wood reefer is representative of the thousands of cars that transported meat, dairy, beer and food products well into the 1960’s.”

Regards,

-Jeff

#1 - Long tab body, Murphy Panel Roof, 4/4 Dreadnaught Ends
#2 - Long tab body, 11 panel flat riveted roof, flat-riveted ends
#3 - Short tab body, Hutchins radial roof, 4/4 Dreadnaught ends
#4 - Short tab body, Viking corrugated roof, Buckeye ends
#5 - Long tab body, 11 panel flat riveted roof, 4/4 Dreadnaught ends
#6 - Long tab body, Viking corrugated roof, 4/4 Dreadnaught ends
#7 - Long tab body, Murphy panel roof, flat riveted end

Link to Ed hawkins' spreadsheet detailing variations here:

Ben Hom

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bill and Friends,

I see that Atlas will be offering their ARA 1932 boxcar in an undecorated in "Body Style 2" (with the flat plate ends). This is essentially correct for the Seaboard class B-6, though it does have some problems. Upgrading this car was covered by John Golden and Justin May in the SEABOARD-COAST LINE MODELER for March 2009. This car is useful for all us steam-era "Y'all Railroad" modelers. I may to try to get one, though I need another boxcar like I need a hole in my head.

I see they are offering undecorated models of styles 1, 2 and 5. Has anyone ever done an analysis of the various Atlas body styles for the 1932 ARA boxcars? I know some of the detail combinations were worthy of Train Miniature, but with a shot-gun approach at least some of these must have had a prototype or two beside the standard design. I do have a print-out of John Hile's STMFC post from 2008, but it only discusses six cars Atlas released pre-lettered: CG, CRR, I-GN, MEC, CRR and WRTCo. Since I have a couple of F&C kits, plus a Sunshine Norfolk Southern, all unbuilt, I probably won't spring for any others unless the bodies are unique.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/19/19 5:35 AM, Bill Welch wrote:
This link shows a few freight car releases for the era of this group. I like undecorated and so the three 1932 variations are of interest to me plus I think I may get one of the little meat reefers: https://mycaboose.com/new-releases/atlas-ho-rolling-stock-summer-advanced-reservations?utm_source=Caboose+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e5cbde1b3e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_09_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_907397b93c-e5cbde1b3e-100264421&mc_cid=e5cbde1b3e&mc_eid=fef507ff99

Not sure why "ATHEARN" is present but I think it can be ignored

Bill Welch

Douglas Harding

The key word is “representative”. When these cars were first released members of this group chided Atlas for inaccuracies. No one knew who Atlas’s “expert” was. And photos of the supposed Cudahy prototype seemed to be non-existent. The car had 4 hinges instead of the more common 6 hinges on the doors. The underframe was something that had not been seen on a meat reefer. And of course the operating doors and hatches were carryovers from the O scale model that Atlas downsized to HO, causing the details to appear oversize and out of scale. One solution was shave off the door hinges and replace them with Grandt Line reefer hinges while gluing the door closed. In addition only one grab iron was on the left side, requiring the addition of a second grab for many p/l schemes.

I recall four versions, with or without truss rods. Each was offered with grab irons or ladders, which may be the difference between the body styles.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org