Topics

B&O Wagontop Boxcar

Ed

I have asked this question on another group but no one seemed to have an answer. I hope someone on this group can help.

I am building a F&C wagontop boxcar for the B&O and I cannot figure out how certain items on the underframe are arranged. Specifically, I am referring to the long and short triangular bolster braces.  Where do these mount on the underframe and to what purpose do they serve?

Ed Robinson

Tim O'Connor

Ed

The SEARCH function on the RealSTMFC (groups.io) is quite good.

It sounds like you're looking at parts for the DURYEA underframe.

Search on "M-53" and "Duryea" (etc)

For years people suggested we compile everything we know about freight cars into
a Wiki page etc etc - but the archive is right here! Over 160,000 posts about steam
era freight cars. And a few dozen warnings from the sheriff.

On 7/21/2019 2:47 PM, Ed wrote:
I have asked this question on another group but no one seemed to have an answer. I hope someone on this group can help.

I am building a F&C wagontop boxcar for the B&O and I cannot figure out how certain items on the underframe are arranged. Specifically, I am referring to the long and short triangular bolster braces.  Where do these mount on the underframe and to what purpose do they serve?

Ed Robinson

Sterling, Massachusetts

Joseph

Ed,
That is part of the Duryea cushion underframe.  The short ones go on either side of the draft gear.  The long ones are to go next to the underframe. The taller end goes against the bolster
I think the RPC issue on these has a photo or drawing

Don’t know which issue as I am at sons soccer training, enjoying the not90+ weather
Joe Binish
New Hope MN

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 1:47 PM Ed <lehighman@...> wrote:
I have asked this question on another group but no one seemed to have an answer. I hope someone on this group can help.

I am building a F&C wagontop boxcar for the B&O and I cannot figure out how certain items on the underframe are arranged. Specifically, I am referring to the long and short triangular bolster braces.  Where do these mount on the underframe and to what purpose do they serve?

Ed Robinson

Steve and Barb Hile

They are part of the Duryea underframe.  The body of the car and trucks can move along the center sill.  The Duryea design evolved over time and these pieces changed shape a bit.  But the longer one goes toward the center of the car and the shorter one towards the couple.  Here is a snip from a drawing in the 1940 CBC

And this snip is one of Duryea underframes (not for the B&O wagon tops, but similar).

Hope this helps.

Steve Hile