Topics

B&O Wagontop Boxcar

Ed

I have asked this question on another group but no one seemed to have an answer. I hope someone on this group can help.

I am building a F&C wagontop boxcar for the B&O and I cannot figure out how certain items on the underframe are arranged. Specifically, I am referring to the long and short triangular bolster braces.  Where do these mount on the underframe and to what purpose do they serve?

Ed Robinson

Tim O'Connor

Ed

The SEARCH function on the RealSTMFC (groups.io) is quite good.

It sounds like you're looking at parts for the DURYEA underframe.

Search on "M-53" and "Duryea" (etc)

For years people suggested we compile everything we know about freight cars into
a Wiki page etc etc - but the archive is right here! Over 160,000 posts about steam
era freight cars. And a few dozen warnings from the sheriff.

Tim O'Connor

==============================================

On 7/21/2019 2:47 PM, Ed wrote:
I have asked this question on another group but no one seemed to have an answer. I hope someone on this group can help.

I am building a F&C wagontop boxcar for the B&O and I cannot figure out how certain items on the underframe are arranged. Specifically, I am referring to the long and short triangular bolster braces.  Where do these mount on the underframe and to what purpose do they serve?

Ed Robinson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Joseph

Ed,
That is part of the Duryea cushion underframe.  The short ones go on either side of the draft gear.  The long ones are to go next to the underframe. The taller end goes against the bolster
I think the RPC issue on these has a photo or drawing

Don’t know which issue as I am at sons soccer training, enjoying the not90+ weather
Joe Binish
New Hope MN

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 1:47 PM Ed <lehighman@...> wrote:

Ed Robinson

Steve and Barb Hile

They are part of the Duryea underframe.  The body of the car and trucks can move along the center sill.  The Duryea design evolved over time and these pieces changed shape a bit.  But the longer one goes toward the center of the car and the shorter one towards the couple.  Here is a snip from a drawing in the 1940 CBC

And this snip is one of Duryea underframes (not for the B&O wagon tops, but similar).

Hope this helps.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ed
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:48 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] B&O Wagontop Boxcar

Ed Robinson

Ed

Tim,
You are correct in that there is a lot of info about the M53 and Duryea underframes. Unfortunately, there is only 1 photo that seems to show the long braces and nothing that indicates how/where the short braces mount. Perhaps I just missed it but I was hopeful that someone on this list would be able to shed some light on the specifics regarding location of the braces.

Ed Robinson

bigfourroad

Ed here are a series of photos that show patterns and arrangement that I made for an M 53 in S scale.  I hope they will help to orient the parts for you.

What is not featured here is a Royal (brake) slack adjuster that appears midway along the car.  I have some photos of that from the car at the B&O museum if useful to you.

Chris Rooney

--
J Chris Rooney CFA
Vanness Company

Web: www.VannessCompany.com

Ed

Perfect. These photos show the positions exactly. Thanks for everyone's help.

Ed Robinson

C J Wyatt

Was a kit produced from your patterns? I believe Jim King at SMMW offered a M53/M53A in S scale.

Jack Wyatt

On Sunday, July 21, 2019, 09:54:09 PM EDT, bigfourroad <vannessco@...> wrote:

Ed here are a series of photos that show patterns and arrangement that I
made for an M 53 in S scale.  I hope they will help to orient the parts
for you.

What is not featured here is a Royal (brake) slack adjuster that appears
midway along the car.  I have some photos of that from the car at the
B&O museum if useful to you.

Chris Rooney

--
J Chris Rooney CFA
Vanness Company

jc2fl

Here is a link to photos I took at the Florida Railroad Museum at Parrish FL.
Included are side, detail, and underframe photos of M-53 381538, M-15NA 374834, and M-15PD 376330

http://www.flickr.com/photos/b_and_o_boxcars

John Cantlay
Clearwater FL

bigfourroad

No the car was not produced because Jim King's one piece body casting was far superior to ours. It is very difficult to get the ribs and the roof-sides to mate perfectly and retain their shape uniformly unless printed from CAD.

However, possibly the SMMW underframe is a little harder to get together than this one would have been.

Chris

--
J Chris Rooney CFA
Vanness Company

C J Wyatt

Thanks Chris, I appreciate that information. Have you done pattern making on anything else in S scale?

Jack Wyatt

On Monday, July 22, 2019, 10:02:44 AM EDT, bigfourroad <vannessco@...> wrote:

No the car was not produced because Jim King's one piece body casting
was far superior to ours. It is very difficult to get the ribs and the
roof-sides to mate perfectly and retain their shape uniformly unless
printed from CAD.

However, possibly the SMMW underframe is a little harder to get together
than this one would have been.

Chris

--
J Chris Rooney CFA
Vanness Company

Jim King

Yes, I produced the M53 in HO and S.  The S is currently out of stock but will be rerun shortly when the M15k comes out.

Jim King

SMMW

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com