Ghost White Toner Again

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

It is time for a new printer. I have pretty much settled on an HP Laser Jet Pro M254dw, which according to the Ghost White web site is compatible with the white toner M254.

Do any of you have experience with this printer using Ghost White to make decals? Any other suggestions?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

C J Wyatt

One question I have about "Ghost White" is do you need to dedicate a printer just to it?

Jack Wyatt

On Monday, July 22, 2019, 02:02:37 PM EDT, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:

Friends,

It is time for a new printer. I have pretty much settled on an HP Laser Jet Pro M254dw, which according to the Ghost White web site is compatible with the white toner M254.

Do any of you have experience with this printer using Ghost White to make decals? Any other suggestions?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Dave Parker

Garth, I don't have that particular HP printer, but I think I know one if not two people who do.  David Bott is one, and he may chime in (he is currently riding the Zephyr from Reno to Chicago).  If he doesn't, I'll check with another Dave.

Jack, this has been addressed in prior posts, but the answer is no.  I routinely swap the black and white cartridges with no downside.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Eric Bergh

Garth,
I am using the Ghost cartridge on my HP Color LaserJet MFPM477fdw and like it. I did have to increase the density settings to get a better image. I use Tango Papa clear decal paper and set the printer for "Transparency".
FWIW, to change the density, below is the info I got from the folks at Ghost.
-Eric Bergh

"to set the density for each toner channel please set up the printer as a network printer.

Therefore you have to connect via Network. Once the printer has been connected via network it has a IP Address. This will be shown in the printerdisplay or on the network status page. This page can be printed from the reports menu of the printer.

1.       Enter the printer IP Address into a webbrowser (ie Chrome)

2.       Go to system

3.       Go to density

4.       Choose +5 for all channels to get the best transfer result. (Standart is 0)

5.       Once the settings are saved the printer will also use these settings for USB printing.

I hope this helps!

 Cheers,

David

 David M. Kandelhardt

CEO – Founder"

lrkdbn

What I wonder is if you could use this toner with just a B&W printer dedicated for the purpose. Has anyone talked to Ghost about making cartridges for B&W printers?
I bet they'd sell quite a few to modelers in many disciplines, not just railroads.
LR King

A&Y Dave in MD

I believe that is the printer i own. What do you want to know?

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

--
____________________________
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

Dave Parker

Again, the question of Ghost cartridges for black-only laser printers has been addressed previously, and I believe that someone contacted Ghost (in Germany) and was told nein, it's not in the works.

Personally, I like having a color laser for decal work.  I don't need color often, but it has really helped with a couple of projects (like MDT reefer stripes).

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Paul Woods <paul@...>

Eric, thank you for posting this info; I have recently bought the same printer and have been trying to learn everything I can before committing toner to film, so your post couldn't have come at a better time!

Regards
Paul Woods

Whangarei, NZ

---- On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 11:01:00 +1200 Eric Bergh <ericbergh2@...> wrote ----

Garth,
I am using the Ghost cartridge on my HP Color LaserJet MFPM477fdw and like it. I did have to increase the density settings to get a better image. I use Tango Papa clear decal paper and set the printer for "Transparency".
FWIW, to change the density, below is the info I got from the folks at Ghost.
-Eric Bergh

A&Y Dave in MD

Practice makes perfect. Get some black or blue construction paper and try printing some tests. White shows up well on it and it’s cheaper than decal paper. You can print thousands of decal sheets with one cart, so don’t be a miser and not practice with actual white toner.  Note the margins and how close you can print to paper edge—this varies by printer. You don’t want to resize to fit but print 100% to get scale right.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

--
____________________________
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

Richard Brennan

At 03:38 PM 7/23/2019, A&Y Dave in MD wrote:
Practice makes perfect. Get some black or blue construction paper and try printing some tests.
Oh NO!!! You mean I have to throw away the dark pink cover stock I've been testing on???

Seriously... this is excellent advice.
...and I swear that the decals print better if I've 'exercised' the GhostWhite toner on the cover stock first.

Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA